OYSTER CARO VISION

davanne

With a 55cms dish you will be unlikely to receive BBC/ITV much beyond the Costa Brava. It depends what programmes you want to watch but on the other hand even with a larger dish reception in Spain will be patchy. In general the further south you go the larger the dish although there are blackspots such as Benidorm that are more difficult than some areas further south. In some areas dishes of 2.4 metres are necessary which if course is not an option in a motorhome. As you travel south programmes drop off with BBC the first to go.

Might I suggest you tell us where you want to travel and indicate the TV channels you want to receive. If you are only interested in say Sky News then an Oyster Caro will be suitable over most of Spain as you can receive it on Astra 1 with a free to air box.

We have always wintered in spain in a caravan in the Murcia region.We had a 1.45cm dish there which received itv and bbc (just) but sold it with the caravan(too big to travel with!!!)

We are now back to a motorhome...we realise getting bbc or itv is going to be out of the question and are happy with the other sky channels.

We saw the oyster caro at the Manchester show a few weeks ago and they said they had used it as far as Benidorm albeit for just the ordinary sky channelswhen they got into spain. Has anyone any thoughts on the best automatic dish to have?

Anne

I think it depends what they meant as "ordinary Sky Channels". On a 66cms dish in Benidorm I got Sky News, True Movies and one other which I can't recall. You will not get much in Benidorm on any dish other than a massive one that will be too big for a motorhome. Probably the best dish is th Kathrein 900 with autoskew but that will set you back £2500+.

If you want to go to Benidorm I would go to a campsite where they have a TV connection on the pitch such as El Raco, Torreta (ugh) and Villasol.

Its a pity there is not a list of campsites with TV connections in Spain and Portugal. Although many say they don't want to watch TV most do especially if they overwinter in Spain even if its only for the occasional film and the news.

No we don't go to Benidorm...it will be back into murcia and maybe down towards portugal for a short time.

We have a 60cm dish on tripod which we can get everything except bbc etc

we have a sky subsciption card so really just need any info on if one of these automatic dishes work well in the spain to save having to retune every stop.

Anne

Don't forget, that if you have a Sky box with valid viewing card there are six ITV1 regions on the non UK beam.

I can pick them up here in Valencia with my 66cm Crankup. I need a 1.9m dish to get the FTA 2d versions.

C5, Fiver, Five US and C4, More 4 and E4 are also available.

thanks for the info on them itv channels on12.402. these channels are on the north beam according to lyngsat,and that's where i noticed that itv london on 11973v 27500 2/3 on the south beam. you can get this one on a fta box unlike the others.

shirles - 2010-03-08 2:44 PM

.... i noticed that itv london on 11973v 27500 2/3 on the south beam. you can get this one on a fta box unlike the others.

I was going to mention that, but it's only a temporary test for the Sky encrypted versions of ITV+1 coming soon!!

Good news though. Everyone with Sky and a viewing card will be able to get ITV1 on a 35cm dish in Spain, albeit an hour later!!

Archived