Sat Nav problems

Keith T

Have had a Garmin Satnav for almost 3 years, and have had probelms form time to time, including very slow start up and loading of maps.,plus wouldn't download some of the stuff I had paid for, went back at one stage under warranty and they put this on it, but they said nothing wrong with it.

It also 'freezes' for no apparant reason, and seems to be getting worse.

Has anyone similar experience, or suggestions why it freezes - I know if you lose the signal, eg through tunnels,that can happen, but this is when travelling on normal open roads, and the only way to get it working again is to turn it off and on again. Can be most annoying if relying on it through cities etc.

It also changed the voice for no reason from UK English to American English...actually it is clearer, athough I have tried her French pronunciation yet!!

Any comments welcome!

What's the storage system? Is it a hard drive or solid state memory?

If it's a hard drive it could be a physical problem and the drive may be on the way out. There are also well-documented cases of Tom Tom sat navs being infected with Trojan viruses, which presumably they pick up when the sat nav is synchronised with the PC to download the latest maps.

I think you may need to talk to Garmin again.

It could be the mother board unfortunately. :-(

We had a PDA which has a similar problem and it ended up that the motherboard was faulty and had to be repaired by the manufacturer (under warranty). Sorry .... :-|

We have a Tom Tom One and had no problems with it until we went to France. Ours "freezes" i.e. looses the signal, this happens in warm weather or if the sun is on the windscreen. I usually run with the unit mounted on the drivers side quarter light where it is usually OK. The Tom Tom manual does say that some loss of signal may occur if the vehicle is fitted with a heat reflecting windscreen but I have not been able to find out if our Fiat base van is! I did ask Tom Tom about the problem but got no reply, I suppose because I was not actually buying anything. I also asked Fiat about the screen, again no reply.

I have a Garmin 760 and it does freeze occassionally. It freezes at the same point on a road I travel on every week. Whether it is a glitch on the map software I do not know.

I have had no problems with the maps taking a long time to install when the unit is switched on.

I have read that there are various places in the UK where sat navs freeze up so it may be to do with the mapping.

The voice may change from English (Emily) to American when you update the operating software but this can be changed back using the menu

I don't have a Garmin but if I ever get any problems with my TomTom I use the 'hard' reboot instead of the 'soft' reboot.  This usually sorts out the problem.

The 'soft' reboot on a TomTom is when you turn it off on the switch.  The 'hard' reboot is where you stick a pin in a hole at the bottom and hold the 'on' switch down for 30 seconds or so at the same time.

I guess it's the equivalent of a PC's [CTRL] [ALT] and [DEL] ?

Talking of voices, I have the American voice who uses the term 'rotary' instead of 'roundabout' and 'highway' instead of 'motorway'.  The main reason for picking her was the nice tone of her voice which is almost identical to the voice who calls out the speed cameras so there is nice continuity.

My favourite direction she gave me was in Rudesheim "in 200 metres turn left and take the ferry"

W2G

I suggest you get onto the Garmin website and download the user manual for the model you have.  This should, if it has the same information as ours (Nuvi 760T), explain how to do a reset.

It may also be worthwhile checking if firmware and software are also up to date, and downloading any updates, as these sometimes address known glitches.

Ours sometimes becomes slow to load maps after trips.  I have found that deleting "tracks" helps, as it seems storing them takes memory.  However, most of the glitches to date seem to have been fixed by using the reset.  As said above, the voice can be changed at will.

What you could try (as it only takes a minute) is to free up some memory.

Every time you set a route, it is saved permanently in `recent trips` (or similar wording). If you have had the unit a long time, then the chances are that they are taking up valuable space.

I had the problem of my old Navman taking forever to acquire the satellite and not functioning correctly. I stumbled upon the `recent trips` (as they were well hidden) and deleted them all plus some of my `favourites`. There was an instant improvement in performance.

I have also read on another forum that the maps available for certain makes take up the bulk of the memory and leave very little room for things like POI`s. You might want to check if you have too many of them and delete the ones you do not reaLLY USE.

hOPE THAT HELPS.

Are there any brains out there can tell me how to load and SAVE a route onto MIO c520 device.

I cant recover a route preloaded once it has been switched off to save battery, or if battery has run down. Surely there must be a way to avoid having to reload a long route.

tonyg3nwl

Archived