Is 75 to old to drive?

creakyknee

Is 75 to old to drive?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I couldn't possibly say, but if a near neighbours driving is anything to go by...

He'll be about 77 and that roughly is the speed he drives at on our local roads. I jest of course, but he is truly scary. I estimate he's doing full up 40mph on the roads nearby which are 30mph built up areas.

His (small) car is trashed down the sides where he parks it at home too close to his driveway walls.

I'm not kidding when I say that when I'm out walking & see him approaching, I get as far away from the road as possible.

Martyn

People should be able to drive at whatever age they are, as long as they can prove their competence.

After seventy-five I would insist on biennial tests to check their health and eyesight and there should be a short driving test.

At 85 I'd make the checks annual.

Some people will be competent to drive at 90, a few will be a danger to others at 75.

There is no doubt though, that with the improvements in health and longevity, 75 is the new 65 (for some!).

bertieburstner - 2010-03-07 1:42 PMA 45 year old lorry driver killed my first wife by falling asleep at the wheel. Age is irrelevant.

Just because this happened does not make age irrelevant. There have been some dreadful examples of old drivers going the wrong way on motorways and in N.W. England recently an elderly man mounted a pavement and killed a child in a buggy.

You are surely not suggesting that, because there are isolated instances of younger people doing stupid things, that it's acceptable to allow old people to carry on driving regardless of their ability?

I'm very much in favour of people driving for as long as they can, but with sensible checks and balances.

I think there is a differance between driving a truck and a Motorhome, the guy driving the truck was doing so for an income, he was subject to deadlines, probably forcing himself to drive longer hours than he felt comfortable with. And as we get older we make more mistakes under pressure. ( therefore MAKING us ALL work into our 70's before we can retire is not only crazy it is also dangerous for everyone else). Driving a motorhome is done for pleasure, any deadlines (ferry ?) are not fixed, we can always take the next one. We SHOULD be taking it easy enjoying ourselves not racing about. A differant way of life which can be enjoyed well into your 80's,health allowing. Ray

They are loads of 75 year old drivers out there!! according to you my O.H. will have to stop in a couple of years time :-S Nobody should drive when they are tired and that lorry driver probably was.

As long as the G.P. says you are fit to drive and you don't go racing about like all these boy racers that are Death on Wheels! you should be fine for a few more years. And comparing people of the same age and their driving ability is ridiculous :-S its like saying Women drivers are all rubbish because you have seen ONE do something silly. >:-) OH DEAR Ive opened another can of worms. :-D

Why does age even come into the discussion? My father is 80 and drives a brand new Kia hatchback. He hasn't been involved in an accident in several decades. He drives within the speed limits but not so slow as to cause a problem for other road users (except for the muppets that don't understand speed limits). He accepts that he no longer feels comfortable drivng after dark so he doesn't. He doesn't drive a motorhome but that is simply because he feels now would not be a good time to switch to motorhoming as a lifestyle choice. Size of vehicle has little bearing on the driver's real abilities, especially where age is concerned.

D.

I woudl suggest age is pretty much irellevant, as is the vehicle you drive. I have seen plenty of cases where young drivers race around dangerously, and equally where sometimes older dirivers have very small cars and are equally dangerous as they mooch along at 25mph regardless of road conditions, and seem totally unaware of any other traffic or people!

The main thing surely is the ability to drive whatever vehicle it is, and as for taking any further tests I don't think this solves anything as any experienced driver should be able to drive simply to pass a test - whether we drive in that manner all the time is a different issue.......much of how we drive is relevant to road circumstances and conditions, rather than a specific manner to pass a test!

davenewell@home - 2010-03-07 4:18 PMWhy does age even come into the discussion? My father is 80 and drives a brand new Kia hatchback. He hasn't been involved in an accident in several decades. He drives within the speed limits but not so slow as to cause a problem for other road users (except for the muppets that don't understand speed limits). He accepts that he no longer feels comfortable drivng after dark so he doesn't. He doesn't drive a motorhome but that is simply because he feels now would not be a good time to switch to motorhoming as a lifestyle choice. Size of vehicle has little bearing on the driver's real abilities, especially where age is concerned.D.

I find it hard to believe that you think that age should have no bearing on a person's ability to drive safely. There are hundreds of examples over the years of old people refusing to accept that their faculties are sufficiently diminished to the extent that they should stop driving.

It's those same diminished faculties that are responsible for this lack of judgement and we've all seen the examples of it. I repeat the recent case of an old lady who got on to a motorway and drove several miles up the wrong side wondering why everyone was flashing at her!

I repeat - I have no objection to people driving until they are a hundred but surely there must come a point when they must be made to demonstrate their fitness to drive?

And if age should not come into the question, why do we not allow a strapping twelve-year-old to drive? Because he (or she) hasn't the mental maturity to be given charge of a potentially lethal weapon. Old people must eventually prove that they too have the physical and mental capabilities if they are to be allowed to continue driving into their eighties and nineties.

Finally, if your father is so convinced of his prowess, he should have no fear about taking a simple driving test and I'd be in favour of allowing very old people a simplified licence which allows them to drive an ordinary car but not for instance, on motorways. If however they want to drive a large motorhome anywhere, then they should be subject to a test that proves them capable. I have written higher up about how I think such tests should be done and how often.

In my opinion age has no bearing whatsoever, ability does at any age!

Bas

P.S.

""Have read about 75 year old lorry diver who killed a couple in a road accident. Do you think 75 is too old to drive a motorhome?""

We recently have had a 17 year old in our area kill two other teenagers and put seven in hospital, they were all walking on the pavement he mounted. Nothing to do with age all to do with ability, or lack of.

One of the main problems seems to be as you get older you sight changes and not enough old people get their eyes tested regularly. I think there should be a standard of medical we all have to pass done at a sort of test centre that is independent of your local gp when we get to a certain age

GypsyTom - 2010-03-07 5:13 PM
davenewell@home - 2010-03-07 4:18 PMWhy does age even come into the discussion? My father is 80 and drives a brand new Kia hatchback. He hasn't been involved in an accident in several decades. He drives within the speed limits but not so slow as to cause a problem for other road users (except for the muppets that don't understand speed limits). He accepts that he no longer feels comfortable drivng after dark so he doesn't. He doesn't drive a motorhome but that is simply because he feels now would not be a good time to switch to motorhoming as a lifestyle choice. Size of vehicle has little bearing on the driver's real abilities, especially where age is concerned.D.

I find it hard to believe that you think that age should have no bearing on a person's ability to drive safely. There are hundreds of examples over the years of old people refusing to accept that their faculties are sufficiently diminished to the extent that they should stop driving.

It's those same diminished faculties that are responsible for this lack of judgement and we've all seen the examples of it. I repeat the recent case of an old lady who got on to a motorway and drove several miles up the wrong side wondering why everyone was flashing at her!

I repeat - I have no objection to people driving until they are a hundred but surely there must come a point when they must be made to demonstrate their fitness to drive?

And if age should not come into the question, why do we not allow a strapping twelve-year-old to drive? Because he (or she) hasn't the mental maturity to be given charge of a potentially lethal weapon. Old people must eventually prove that they too have the physical and mental capabilities if they are to be allowed to continue driving into their eighties and nineties.

Finally, if your father is so convinced of his prowess, he should have no fear about taking a simple driving test and I'd be in favour of allowing very old people a simplified licence which allows them to drive an ordinary car but not for instance, on motorways. If however they want to drive a large motorhome anywhere, then they should be subject to a test that proves them capable. I have written higher up about how I think such tests should be done and how often.
No age doesn't come into it but individual ability does. I see drivers daily that shouldn't be let loose with a teat trolley let alone a car or motorhome, they cut people up at junctions, they insist on overtaking at well beyond the speed limit of the road in question and then diving across to the exit that they almost miss. Is any of this because of age? No it isn't! It's down to plain old selfish behaviour and bad driving.Yes I've seen old people driving who shouldn't be but I've seen more younger people ("Younger" in this instance includes anyone between the ages of 17 and 65) cause near accidents and actual accidents thaqn old people do.Just for information I've said for many years that ALL drivers should take a retest at five year intervals, if only to remove some of those bad habits we all acquire with experience.Many years of driving does not make one a good driver, just an experienced road user. But likewise many years of living does not automatically mean you are a bad driver!D.

Lots of interesting points in all the posts. I consider myself an average driver. I can usually park our MH in a tight spot without too much trouble. Whereas others provide entertainment whilst parking. Whilst this isn't usually life threatening it does raise the blood pressure if they are parking near.

I have travelled with quite a few elderly drivers and with some I have been very apprehensive. You know that moment when you apply the foot-brake on the passenger side! I have known two or three driving instructors and one driving examiner, none were any great shakes as drivers.

We all have to accept that with age comes the loss or impairment of some physical ability. Being tested is probably a big worry to some lady who has been coaxed by her 'disabled' husband into driving a motorhome or just whilst he is recovering from some incapacity. The test would probable turn into some cash raising exercise by the government.

A problem with testing is that it sometimes relies on examiners with different standards. I remember with the ordinary test that you were unlucky to draw a particular examiner at our test centre. Lots of campers look to down-size to 3.5tons when approaching 70 due to the hassle and the cost of 'a test'.

A history of accidents that a driver has been involved in is also not always a reliable indicator of ability. Lots of variables, mileage per year, town or country driving? A lot of luck involved.

I would have thought that anyone being employed as a lorry driver at 75 would be a very risky business both to the driver and his employer. Driving a MH is not usually a day to day thing with a large mileage to cover every day and one is free to pull over at will.

The problem is we ALL think we are good drivers and it's ALWAYS the other person who isn't paying attention that makes a situation develop. It's NEVER us who misjudged a gap, didn't see the cyclist/pedestrian or notice we were doing 40 instead of 30!

With age though the individual hasn't got the insight to decide for themselves whether they should stop driving. My father in law was, and is, still of the opinion he can drive. He can't even remember what he had for his dinner yet he thinks he would be safe enough to take a vehicle out on the road! He quotes young people speeding as his defence too! We took the step of informing the DVLA ourselves when he was 70 not to renew his licence because we felt, as a family he was unsafe. I've never had a moments regret for doing that and would hope that if I'm like him when I get that age someone would do the same for me if I end up with a similar debilitating illness. My dad was the same. He had brain injuries following a tumour and had no idea he was not the same person. He thought he was in full control of his mental faculties, but the truth was my mum wouldn't even let him have control of the telly clicker. Very sad, but true.

But on the opposite side I know someone who is in his mid 70's, runs his own business, is as sharp as a knife and is a really good driver. He also drives his motorhome all over Europe with no problems.

In my opinion it should be based on your nedical history, including a rigourous eye test that is the final arbiter. The examination should be done properly and not just the doctor asking you do you feel up to driving and have you had any problems. They should be compulsary from the age of 70 and be an annual thing. If you fail once your licence is gone, no second chances, no arguing.

Insurance companies have started loading policies for old people higher than for young drivers, and they should know!

In my opinion it should be based on your nedical history, including arigourous eye test that is the final arbiter. The examination should bedone properly and not just the doctor asking you do you feel up todriving and have you had any problems. They should be compulsary fromthe age of 70 and be an annual thing. If you fail once your licence isgone, no second chances, no arguing.

Insurance companies have started loading policies for old people higher than for young drivers, and they should know.

Blimey Stephen you've put the wind up a few here. I take it you're quite a way from 70. With regard to insurance companies, I'm afraid I see them as selling something we are obliged to buy and also too powerful in the scheme of things.

Tomo3090 - 2010-03-07 7:17 PM

Insurance companies have started loading policies for old people higher than for young drivers, and they should know!

If that's the case, then how come the premiums for older drivers are no where near as much as younger drivers especially when you bear in mind the cost of the vehicle that is being insured ....

Do you have more details of this higher 'old people' loading?

Age is just one thing to consider in conjunction with the effect that the age may be having on the individual's physical (and mental) ability to be able to carry out the task of driving. Age should not, however, be the only factor. I have a relation who has always been someone I would consider should NOT drive - he got his licence in the army many moons ago. On our wedding day he was driving my husband to the church and ran into another car when crossing a dual carriageway! 8-) On another time he was reversing his car out of the MOT garage and scraped it all down the front wing as he wasn't taking enough care ... I could go on. His second wife (of 8 years) has put him on her insurance to drive the car (she usually does the driving) so that in an emergency he can drive ... I can't think of a WORSE time for him to have to do this!!!! 8-) 8-) 8-)

Just to let you know we are going to Rhone Alps in May so be warned, afraid that we go to fast to have person in front with red flag but having done this for about 25 years reckon i can just about cope and of course will drive carefully, by the way i am 77 in May.

I do voluntary work with the local safety partnership. When we meet drivers that have been referred to us By the Police you would not believe the varying standards of Drivers Attitudes to safe driving (from all age groups). Many should not be driving at all, how they are still alive amazes me. . Age / medical related, there is a chance that a compulsory medical test annually will be put in place .. Medically Do any of you suffer from Blood pressure? If so have you notified the DVLA?. This could affect the conditions on your licence and your insurance (you could have your licence revoked). As the say it’s a can of worms.I know a number of drivers over 75 and would sit next to them whilst they drive with no problems. 1 at 79 still enters races/rallies...

I've read it in at least two national broadsheet newpapers financial sections. 1 of them requested quotes on the same vehicles for a male in his 70s' and for a male in his early twenties. The younger guy was quoted the lesser amounts.. A spokesperson said it was because more older people were driving now for longer and so their claim numbers were going up, so their premiums would go up too!

Like I said though it's down to the individual and the only way to sort that out is for a stricter medical than the one around now.

For the record I'm 53 and 5 months! It goes without saying of course I am of course a brilliant driver so I feel confident that I am able to judge others. Sadly, I have yet to find anyone, young, old, male or female who is a better driver than I am. :-D

Tomo3090 - 2010-03-07 8:18 PM For the record I'm 53 and 5 months! It goes without saying of course I am of course a brilliant driver so I feel confident that I am able to judge others. Sadly, I have yet to find anyone, young, old, male or female who is a better driver than I am. :-D

Hope you don't  hit anything then!

GypsyTom - 2010-03-07 8:28 PM
No age doesn't come into it but individual ability does. I see drivers daily that shouldn't be let loose with a teat trolley let alone a car or motorhome, D.

OK, where can I get one of those trolleys? I want one!
Ha Ha GT, well done for spotting my mistake (must be my age I guess (lol) ). If my spelling is the biggest problem you can find with my comments then I rest my case :D .D.

Age as sutch has nothing to do with it (yes I'm 68 and proud of it) it's all down to health and ability. I've worn glasses since I was 15 and when I'm asked why as my vision is not too bad I answer to see clearly many people have defective vision and are unaware of it sight tests should be mandatory for drivers. I also ride a 1000cc V twin sports motorcycle and am more aware of Mr Magoo and his female equivalent. I do 2 or 3 trackdays a year to clear the cobwebs. As to insurance my motorcycle insurance is £240.00 including breakdown recovery full comp. My motorhome is 7.2meters long 3.4 tonnes and the insurance is £260.00 full comp. including europ breakdown recovery. A friends sons motorcycle insurance is £1200.00 on a 500cc comuting motorcycle and he can't get insurance for a motorhome as he is 20years old. I am lucky to have the health an ability that I have I have friends who are younger than I am who would not consider doing the things I'm able to do. As to retests they would only become another goverment stealth tax and the test centers can't cope with the volume of test's now so where would that leave us. End of rant going in to hibernation for another 50years now. >:-(

GypsyTom - 2010-03-07 8:28 PM
No age doesn't come into it but individual ability does. I see drivers daily that shouldn't be let loose with a teat trolley let alone a car or motorhome, D.

OK, where can I get one of those trolleys? I want one!

GT.

It's in his garage, with a Cosworth in it.

When are we going to get a up date on it Dave, havn't seen one for a while.

Dave

Archived