Draining battery

Guest ceri

We have a 2003 kontiki, we are finding with the van left idle for over a week the battery goes flat, it then has to be jump started. There is a dealers alarm /immobiliser fitted (SIGMA), which was on it when we bought it last October. Its no hardship really having to go out to turn the engine or give it a run, SO MY HUSBAND SAYS, but annoying that this is happening, we are not so lucky to have a drive so to keep it hooked up. Being a woman if somethings not working "take it back", but the hubby says it is working, well somethings not right i say. Somebody out there must have got some bullets for me to fire at him. Ceri

You're right Ceri, somethings not right there. An alarm will drain the battery eventually but shouldn't after a week. Possibly either a duff battery or a problem with an earth somewhere maybe? No doubt a resident expert will arrive before long to give you a solution, they usually do..............

Alarms do drain batteries but not that quickly!. Thatcham Cat 1 alarms tend to be worse. Take it back and get the alarm installer to connect an ammeter in series with the battery to measure the current (amps) taken with everything is turned OFF but the alarm set. If your battery is say 100 ampere hours and the alarm takes 0.1 amp then your battery should last 1000 hours. Thats about 40 days before the battery is totally flattened. If your battery is smaller then reduce this time acordingly. If the amps are larger then reduce the time accordingly. Having either sorted the alarm (or the glove box light stuck on!) you will then still have a problem but no so frequently. I know they are expensive but a decent size solar panel bolted to the roof works very well keeping batteries topped up and even in the winter will provide enough to cover that taken by an alarm. BUT you must fit a bridging fuse when the van is laid up so the solar panel charges both batteries. Always take the bridging fuse out when you start your touring season. Before you operate the starter! This is what we do. Our Panel is an 80 watt model although I suspect you will get away with something smaller if its only the alarm you want to compensate for. Its more reliable to use a BIG panel and a regulator and know you have spare capacity in hand. Good luck

I have exacly the same problem with my 1972 Porsche 911 - have to drive it at least once a week. Maybe some alarms draw more than others. A possible solution is to have an electrical master switch (i.e. battery isolator) fitted, but that would leave you without an alarm, although the switch is a pretty good anti-theft device in itself. I'm with your husband though - if it aint broke don't fix it. Might be easier to leave it permanently on hookup than to have to mess with jump-start cables.

We have a 2001 Renault Master/ Devon conversion Our battery went flat after travelling in sub zero temps + fog; for 3 days with lights & Fridge on all the time. Then we stood for a week at Alcosebre. Got a jump start and it went ok until this year When it stood for a week in sub zero temps at home tried an overnight charge but no joy - Dead battery Got a new? battery fron the dealers that was not fully charged so gave it a boost in the garage before fitting - went flat overnight - removed again & recharged - it wnt flat sat on the garage floor - found a date 2003 on a label Thing is if the battery is looked after it will last unused However if you allow any battery to stand while discharged the plates will not recover I used to recon in the old days that a battery had life of 3 years. However our old Traffic which was run every day exept for Christmas to New year the battery in that lasted 10 years. That van was never started unless it got fuly warm Back to the fridge I have been told that they take the majority of the alternator output to operate - When running off the engine the fridge thermostat is apparently in not in service We also have two security systems a manufacturers and a Thetford class 1 Now while standing at home I am using a radio PIR which operates our home alarm Both alarms fitted to the van have immobilisers without setting them our 10 year old battery also failed on a freezing Christmas if the battery is not upto scratch you will have problems starting large deisels

Sorry Peter, I just cannot contain myself Ha Ha Ha A Thetford Class 1 alarm, is that for the loo lid or the toilet door? I think you mean Thatcham Class 1. But you are right about batteries. In cold weather the cranking currents are a lot higher because the viscosity of the engine and gearbox oils is much higher. Best improvement is to use full synthetic oil in your engine. The has a dramatic effect on cold starting. If your battery lasts through winter it will last the rest of the year.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks to all your replies, just to let you all know, we went to the NEC booked to stay 3 nights, stayed 2 then had to travel to Nottingham to Brownhills. As we had no electric hook up at the nec our van died a death on 12 volt, may sound romantic we had to retire to bed at 8.30pm due to no lighting. Not amused at the situation, we used our second day pass to complain to Brownhills and spoke to Swift. Fair play to Richard at Brownhills stand he made a few phone calls, and we were on our way. We were given prioity when we arrived the van was taken straight away to the workshop. Two new batteries later we were told the problem was with the RADIO. ????????? Its in storage now but started 1st time after 4 days, fingers crossed but she shall be adding a second leisure battery to give a bit of a boost. Must praise Hayley at the Swift stand,on our return home she followed us up in a phone call to see if we were sorted. Thanks to all, Peterbourgh next. ps may buy a geni there .

Guest Patricia
Hope you are OK now but we had the same problem whilst the van (Auto-Trail Cheyenne) was parked for several weeks at our French property (the weather was warm at the time). We contacted Sigma and several other people and received advice that it was dud batteries etc. Cutting a long story short it transpired (on advice from Essanjay, Poole) that in fact it was the large refrigerator/freezer which takes 12V even when plugged into the mains. In our case it had been connected to the vehicle battery instead of to the leisure batteries. Since having this rectified we have had no further problems. Apparently many 'fridges were connected incorrectly so if it happens again you could check this out.

Thanks Patricia for your advise, we also have the large fridge/freezer, this is something worth checking. It so much helps to share your problems on this forum as there is always something new to learn each day, we have been at this game quite some years, but just cannot keep up with todays technology. Thanks to all, Ceri.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Keith
Isn't it funny when you think you are alone when hey presto you look at the MMM BB and others have the same problem. We have a Swift 645 2003 model and up until November last year all seem well with the vehicle battery, both batterises topped up about every 4-6 weeks. Went to go away and vehicle battery "flat" (it showed as 3.6volts on the control panel) had to be jumped started. The Green flag rescue person said frequently having to jump start Fiats for this problem due to the 4/5 ECUs which all take power and they can get to the point where they suddenly call for a great deal when their inbuilt rechargeable batteries demand it sometimes in a matter of hours. Neither Fiat or Marquis were aware of such an issue when asked. Is this a factor or is it a myth Took back to Marquis where a small drain was identified on fuse 61 whatever this is and certainly the Fiat Dealer had not a clue. The Fiat daler found no fault!!! Recommended to charge every week. Said would not charge on this occasion as they get no reimbersursement from Fiat if they find nothing - what a funny old world this is Went away 2 weeks ago leaving van at home with both batteries showing charged at about 12.5volts. The alarm (Nightwatch model 161 Thatcham 3)was switched off (van kept in locked garage) returned home today and both batteries flat. Can charge the leisure via the on board charger but have to use a trickle charger for the vehicle battery as the switchover switch on the control panel will not work with the vehicle battery discharged. Spoke to Swift Customer service they were not aware of any specific problems relating to my query. Any further ideas would be welcome. Incidentally for those who may recall the problem I posted last year on the steering pulling to the left, that appears to have been resolved with the changing of the driveshafts. Best wishes to all Keith

Archived