Barracuda Firewall!!! You won't believe this

Hughmer

I've been trying to send Brownhills an email to order a spare. It kept bouncing back yesterday but I thought it was something to do with the problems they were having with their phone system.

It was still happening this morning and being a bit more inquisitive I spotted this in the return message:

The following message to was undeliverable.

The reason for the problem:

5.1.0 - Unknown address error 554-'Service unavailable; Client host [out1.ip06ir2.opaltelecom.net] blocked using Barracuda Reputation; http://bbl.barracudacentral.com/q.cgi?ip=89.240.173.23'

The IP address in question relates to opaltelecom which hosts talktalk.net. As far as Barracuda is concerned this Domain has a "poor" reputation with regards to security, - spam, virus proliferation etc

The result is that if you have a talktalk email address, the Barracuda firewall installed at Brownhills will reject your email as spam.

So I guess I'll use hotmail.

Hughmer - 2010-03-10 12:32 PM

The result is that if you have a talktalk email address, the Barracuda firewall installed at Brownhills will reject your email as spam.

It looks like a big range of Opal Telecom's IP addresses have been blacklisted. I think Opal are the business division of TalkTalk so I would have thought they'd be on the case to get their IP range unblocked.

Andy

Archived