Leisure Batteries overcharging?

auntygranty

During the last couple of days with a bit of sun !! on checking the Fox readout on my Van I noticed a 15volt reading. I have two elecsol 100 amp leisure batts connected through a Sunsaver controller to a 40 watt panel. A meter reading across the batteries indicated 14.75 volts. As this seemed excessive Solar Solutions (where i got the gear) suggested changing the controller and that the voltage difference between my meter at the battery and the Fox readout was because the Fox often read too high. This I did but I am still getting a charge above the recommended 14.2 to 14.4 volts Has anyone else had this problem? Could it be damaging the batteries or can they take it? By running a internal flourescent light I get the voltage down to the correct level but this shouldn't be required, any advice welcome Auntygranty

14.7 volts is the correct voltage for an equalizing charge on a lead-acid battery (14.4 volts for a gel).

My Steca regulator runs on a 30 day cycle and performs a 2 hour equalizing charge every so often. Is it possible that your regulator is doing the same?

If it stays above 14 volts for more than a couple of hours then be suspicuous. Check your digital voltmeter for accuracy first.

The maintaining voltage should be closer to 13.8 volts if its going to be on for a long time. Yes inteligent algorythms do go to higher voltages but only for a short time and at quite low charge currents.

c.

Thanks for the advice gents I haven't checked the meter I have been using to test at the batteries, I'll do that next. I'm pretty happy the controller is ok an I understand the Solar Panel cannot over supply current so there is nothing else, the batteries are about three years old. Auntygranty

Hi Clive thanks for your imput--I've checked my meter (new battery) and have replaced the Solar Panel regulator which just proves the old one was working correct. When switching to charge rate this varies correctly as per load ie: if I switch on some lights charge goes up, switch off charge reduces to 1 amp and lower so I am happy in this respect, it is just a high Volt reading that caused me concern, with the vehicle and mains charger switched off nothing else can cause this high reading can it? perhaps the Elecsol batteries read high, I will dig out my battery information and check this. Auntygranty

Hi Paul. It is a Sunsaver which I exchanged for a new one but I know they are pretty reliable as I've had them on several of my past vans with no trouble, the other thought that comes to mind is the panel fitted to the van was on it when I bought it (secondhand) the make is unknown.....it could be producing a voltage that is too high.. but I have to say I've never heard of this before but I suppose its possible perhaps Clive has heard of this ? Auntygranty

Clive - 2010-03-11 8:06 PM

If it stays above 14 volts for more than a couple of hours then be suspicuous.

Hi Clive

You've got me worried a bit here. My set up is 2 x 85ah Gel batteries Shaudt EBL226, 80W solar panel and Steca controller.

With no current being drawn the voltage sits constantly (days-weeks) at 14.2 - 14.4V.

Maybe I should have gone for Shaudt's solar controller?

Arthur

HI,

Maybe I can shred a bit of light on this now I have a few days spare to catch up with the posts.

Another poster has also observed similar voltages using a morning star regulator. This threw me a bit at 1st and morningstar distributor/supplier insisted it will not damage the batteries. This is in fact possibly true as the regulator is a PWM voltage and supplies very narrow pulses of voltage. I have done a test using a constant 14.4 volts applied to a battery and it sits gassing away and drawing 0.8 Amps. Now applying a pulsed voltage (1:20) I get a voltage reading of 14.35 volts and only an average of 0.05 Amps (50 mAmps) and no gassing. Increasing the pulsed voltage slightly to raise the reading to 14.4 volts across the battery gives an average current of 55mAmps and still no gassing.

So the electro-chemistry and characteristics of surface charge on the batttery plates has an affect here.

Most solar panels produce voltage at about 15 to 21 volts, the higher the voltage the less power is lost along the cable length,

this is why the controller should be positioned as close to the battery as practically possible.

If your sunsaver is the MPPT type it will adjust the voltage & amps to suit the condition & charge of the battery........or.... rather than moving your panel to face the sun to get the maximum power, it will adjust the voltage/amps to get maximum power from the panel

I have the standard sunsaver even this gives a high charge rate (almost 15volts) when its in pules mode.

& my battery is now about 10 years old (touch wood)

Paul

Thankyou Paul- Your reply -- very informative... I never knew the regulator control should be fitted as near the batteries as possible..most fitters seem to put them in a top cupboard near the entry point of the panel wiring from the roof. I shall not worry about the high 14 volts having read your inf...Cheers auntygranty

Archived