Useless search facility

hallii

Guest JudgeMental
hallii - 2010-03-11 12:23 PM

Is it just me or does the "search" facility not work for everyone?

I have tried dozens of times and IT JUST DOES NOT WORK.

Hopefully ADMIN might have a look?

Hallii

I agree hopeless! Only Derek seems to have a handle on it! :-S

hallii - 2010-03-11 12:23 PM

Is it just me or does the "search" facility not work for everyone?

I have tried dozens of times and IT JUST DOES NOT WORK.

Hopefully ADMIN might have a look?

Hallii

What are you trying to find? :-S

It sometimes likes me ... probably because I 'sweet talk' Derek occasionally! :->

I agree that the search facility is useless.

That is why I find much more useful information on other motorhome forums.

I just skim the latest postings - anything else I have to make a fresh posting or look on other forums.

A shame really because there are some very knowledgeable and helpful people contributing to this forum.

Joyce

i agree bob b!!!!!!!! but god damn!! is he good or what???!!

maybe we should all turn in to Mel B? sweet talk him? or turn into mel b? herself? :D or brian k?...god man get a grip(thoughts to myself) or gypsie tom! but we wont go there... will we tracker!!!! :D :D :D (ive ad a few vinos) :D

silverback (ak jonathan)

This is what I get, when is the 'Webmaster' going to get his (or her) finger out ?

"Sorry, the server encountered an internal error and was unable to process the page you requested.

The webmaster has been informed of this error and will look into it as soon as possible.

Please try again later - for now click here to return to our homepage."

Derek Uzzell - 2010-03-11 6:50 PM

This is an earlier thread on the subject that might offer a modicum of help

Agreed Derek, but as you say you need a good memory for it to work. :-S And then there's the time when searching 'on the off chance' that a topic has already been covered.

Search facilities seem to be much better on other sites and not just camping orientated ones.

Cattwg :-D

Have to agree it's the worst search engine I've ever come across.

I'm a new member and I don't want to post a repeat question that has been aired time after time but I just can't seem to get anything answered on the 'search'.

Most times I get a message 'Internal Error' - and I'm getting brassed off.

Is there a Moderator / Webmaster of this site who can get it sorted out?

Guest Tracker

The secret seems to be to keep a fairly narrow search area either by topic, date or area of search.

It is no good asking about 'batteries' on all forums over the last year for example as the search engine can't handle it.

I find that if you narrow the search by restricting it to look in only part of the forum (click on motorhome matters section for example on the left), you can often get a response, but trying to do a search of the whole forum at once often tells you to go forth and multiply ... or words to that effect!

Still waiting to find out what Hallii wants! :-S

Now is a good time for me to try to do a search whilst I've got Derek eating out of my hand ..... :D

I agree. All ways have the same message. It has never worked very well for me. I have asked them whats wrong but never had a reply. I now use other Motorhome Forums for most of the information I need. Indeed they are so good that I have even given up buying MMM every month. :-D

Tracker - 2010-03-12 7:28 PM

The secret seems to be to keep a fairly narrow search area either by topic, date or area of search.

It is no good asking about 'batteries' on all forums over the last year for example as the search engine can't handle it.

thats because you have about a million pages of posts on batteries Tracker :D

The advice given in the other thread referred to above was to use the Google site search formula:

-- xxx site:www.outandaboutlive.co.uk , where xxx is what you're searching for.

This is fine if you're comfortable engaging in hand-to-hand combat with a search engine. An easier way is to download and install the Google toolbar for your browser -- http://www.google.com/toolbar .

One of its optional search tools is single-click searching of any site you're looking at. You can then narrow the search by date, page type and so on as on the normal Google results page.

The toolbar offers several other useful features, which you can choose among.

It still won't give you the well-organized results that a good on-site thread searcher would but, as we know, there isn't one for these forums.

Roger

Archived