Auto Trail Factory service centre

rolandrat

I recently booked my Tracker EKS into their workshop for some minor adjustments and was very pleased with the way it all went. The previous night I was directed to a hook up facility as I'd travelled over from Lancashire then the following morning I was shown to the customer waiting area whilst the work was carried out. I decided to go to Grimsby on the bus to have a look round and have a meal instead of hanging around in the waiting room. When I returned I was told the work had been completed and was shown what had been done. All in all I was very impressed with the way I was received and with the work that was carried out. My thanks go to Mark Atkinson and his team. Auto Trail simply the best.

Far from blatantly my friend, it's called credit where due and as far as I'm concerned they go the extra mile. When you have experienced lousy service as I have you appreciate the way Auto Trail carry on their business. I can honestly say that my motorhome is near as perfect as any can be but like all things I have had the odd lemon along the way. I can mention one company who give lousy after sales service but whats the point, I have learnt my lesson and will always give them a wide berth in future.

Fully support Rolandrat. We got what we wanted and everything was explained, the people involved were very keen to do a good job and explain what was happening. We used the Service Centre last September. Prior to having work done all problems were discussed with Mark Atkinson who knows whats what. They let you know when work will be finished and at the end everything was again discussed with a technician and all the details were explained. Nothing was too much trouble and the whole process oozes quality and committment. Our previous experience with a large main dealer was horrific, booked in with girls who couldn't care less, cant meet or talk to technicians, first come first served on the day, they do let you know when the van is ready but nothing is explained and you leave with the feeling that you have done them a favour by having the work done with them. I cant praise AutoTrail, Mark Atkinson and his team enough. Having our habitation service done at the end of the month with them.

Well roland I have no problem people telling others when they receive good service, it certainly makes a change from people finding fault (maybe a British trait). But you did not say wether you had a vested interest in Autotrail ????. Picking up on your first post Quote: "Autotrail simply the best." You are understandably pleased with their aftersales service and although this is a major plus in buying a motorhome it is not everything. For example it would be of no use when you are away somewhere and your outside water tanks have frozen (this happened to an autotrail that was next to me recently). I think all makes of motorhome have their good and bad points but to deride other makes and champion one is rather blinkered.

Thing is Mike that Autotrail don't actually make the claim that their vans are "winterised" and won't freeze up. There is the facility to get temp. controlled water heaters fitted by Autotrail as a factory fitted extra during the build process, which if you were choosing a van not "winterised, but that you thought might be used in freezing temps you would buy. But I don't see how it's actually Autotrails' fault if you don't have them and the tanks do freeze! We didn't and last year in January in France, it was -12 and it wasn't the actual tank that froze, or the water in them, but the waste tank release valve. I figure that could happen even on a continental "winterised" gin palace!

Even though it was that cold outside we were having to turn the heater down because it was too hot in the van when the setting was on what we thought would be needed, so there is nothing wrong with the insulation on the van itself.

I've got a 2008 Cheyenne and it is a very well built van. We have had a few faults, all have been issues on other vans and reported on here, but they have all been corrected by either the dealer, "Spinney Motors", or Autotrail without quibble. For the record I have no personal interest with either company, apart from being a very satified customer.

In my humble opinion Auto Trail's build quality has improved quite a lot in recent years. However they did design and build a bit of a lemon with the "Grande Frontier". A friend of mine has one, owned from new by him it has been back to the factory twice in the first two years for GRP repairs to the roof which was cracking. It is now cracking in exactly the same place for the third year on the trot but because he missed his hab service last year (it was due during the three months that Auto Trail had his van to repair the cracks in the roof) they are now saying its out of warranty and he has to pay for the repairs :-S . I know of several owners of this model that are very much less than pleased with it for a variety of reasons, many of them shared by other owners.

D.

When I ordered my new Autotrail I enquired as to whether it came with a Grey Waste Hose extension pipe like my current Swift and was told that it didn't. I was advised to go on the 'Outdoorbits' website who supply most things. I sent them an Email (over 2 months ago now) and they still have not responded !! So I went to my local B&Q and Wickes who I thought would stock flexible hosing, no such luck. I decided to ring Auto Trail Direct and was put through to their parts department where I was able to order exactly what I wanted and it was sent by courier the following day, now is that service or what ? One thing is for sure, I will not be doing any shopping for my motorhome bits and pieces at the Outdoorbits website in the future. Well done Auto-trail, if the after sales service with my new van is as good as this then I will be one very happy customer.

My only dealing with Autotrail thus far is I ordered online the grey waste pipe from them. Placed the order at 13:00hrs on Wednesday afternoon. 08@30am Thursday morning delivered to my door, in the interim 2 emails confirming order and delivery

Contrast that with placing (at same time as above) orders with 2 independent online retailers neither items yet delivered nor confirmed as being in stock (despite website assurances they were) only one email to confirm order placed (one of the emails taking nearly 24 hours to arrive) and only after I ended up ringing to confirm order had been placed correctly.

(again no vested interest in any company just praise when its deserved)

No I haven't a vested interest in Auto Trail as a company but I do recognize quality and good after sales service. A motorhome is a very expensive piece of kit to invest in and it's good to know that there is somewhere to turn to when problems arise and can be resolved in a professional positive manner. Another make that oozes quality is Euromobil but no doubt I'll be ostracized for mentioning it. What follow up servicing is like though, I don't know.

• 2 weeks later...
Had our second year habitation service carried out by Mark Atkinson and his staff and there is only one word brilliant. Everything discussed and explained, one LED light had failed and rear light cluster was letting in water. Now changed and all working. They found a high damp reading round the washroom window and instead of just telling us afterwards took the window out found that it wasn't packed properly and re- seated it. Normally a dealer would have listed it and then gone through the rigmarole of sorting out the warranty and ordering bits and pieces which would need another visit. Now all done and dusted for a competitive price. They are increasing staff by 25% so will be able to get booked in quicker than at present. Also combined the service with a factory visit, interesting that side panels now have no internal timber framework, all fittings are fixed to stainless steel strips so the whole panel is solid insulation.

Big Momma - 2010-03-13 9:29 PM

When I ordered my new Autotrail I enquired as to whether it came with a Grey Waste Hose extension pipe like my current Swift and was told that it didn't. I was advised to go on the 'Outdoorbits' website who supply most things. I sent them an Email (over 2 months ago now) and they still have not responded !! So I went to my local B&Q and Wickes who I thought would stock flexible hosing, no such luck. I decided to ring Auto Trail Direct and was put through to their parts department where I was able to order exactly what I wanted and it was sent by courier the following day, now is that service or what ? One thing is for sure, I will not be doing any shopping for my motorhome bits and pieces at the Outdoorbits website in the future. Well done Auto-trail, if the after sales service with my new van is as good as this then I will be one very happy customer.

Probably was a little hasty with my praise. I ordered 3 lengths of grey waste hose but when delivered I discovered they had only sent one but the invoice stated 3. I rang them up and I was told that the other 2 bits would be sent out on the Monday. 1 week later still no show so rang up again only to find that 'Jeff' in the spares dept, and the one who was dealing with my order, had retired and not followed through with sorting things out before he left. Credit to the new chap though as he only had my word that I had not received the 3 pieces and he dispatched the other two lengths of waste pipe. I guess Jeff was keen to start his retirement and hey who can blame him for that. Normal service resumed I would now imagine :D

Archived