Leisure battery drain

leley

leley - 2010-03-11 5:34 PM

Hello can anybody help me.

I am trying to find out what leisure battery amps usage should my motorhome register, When i have everything turned off

Logically, if all the electrical items powered by your motorhome's leisure-battery are genuinely turned off, there should be zero current-drain.

If you think you've switched everything off and there's still a current-drain evident when you take a reading at the battery, then it's possible that it's the fridge that's responsible.

Certain recent-ish Dometic fridges have a 12V anti-condensation heater that can be operated even though the fridge's main switch is in the OFF position. It's also the case with the earlier fridges fitted with a heater that the heater's operating switch is poorly positioned regarding visibility.

You need to sure too that, when you aren't using a modern Dometic fridge, that the power-source selection-switch (ie. the switch that selects 12V, gas or 230V) is turned to the OFF position, otherwise the fridge's electronics will continue to operate.

Just checked the fridge .it is turned off.

The leisure battery went from good to low overnight when not hooked up and nothing being used.

I thought there was normally a very small drain on the leisure battery at all times.

I have 2x85ha batteries

I have checked again that nothing is on but it is reading -9.6 on the read out.

Hi Leley,

First, welcome to the forum.

Is the fan on your Trumatic heater turned off if that's what you have fitted?

There's a small switch in front of the fan speed control marked something like 'A Off M' and it has to be in the central position as otherwise it can be running even when the heater is turned off. Worth checking.

Then have you any lights in wardrobes, lockers or garages? If so are any of them left on?

Let us know how you get on.

Keith.

Guest Tracker
leley - 2010-03-11 7:26 PM

I have checked again that nothing is on but it is reading -9.6 on the read out.

Minus 9.6 what?

There is generally a very small load on the leisure batteries even when everything, including the display panel is switched off, depending on van electrics, if only to power the system clock.

If you have a digital mutimeter this can be measured with the ammeter but if it really is 9.6 amps then something is badly amiss as it should broadly be in the order of 50 to 250 milliamps?

Have you tried removing every fuse one at a time to see if that alters the readout?

Is there anything 12v electrical that has been added that is directly wired to the leisure battery and if so can you temorarily disconnect or 'de-fuse' it?

Minus 9.6 volts suggests the batteries wired negative / positive reversed but that would seem highly improbable?

That said 9.6 amps would sound suspiciously like a fridge working on 12v?

A fault this large should not be hard to find folks - so come on what have I missed!

Thank you very much for your help

Just been out and taken every fuse out and it didn’t make any difference still read -9.6.

I have hooked it back up to the mains. Guess I should disconnect the batteries?

Hi again Leley,

Have you tried re-calibrating your control panel?

As you have said you have taken all the fuses out and still have this reading I wonder if yours needs doing?

Whilst talking to the people from Sargent Electrical (who make the AT control panels) last year at the ATOC factory rally they said that newer vans (than ours) which read current could be re-calibrated to ensure an accurate reading.

Maybe somebody with a newer AT can help with the details of how to do this or failing that it might be worth giving Sargent electrical a call to find out more.

If you can't find details for Sargent then give AT a call and I'm sure they'll help you.

Keith.

So it seems what you are looking for is a load somewhere in the region of 110W, which is on a unfused supply (or at least a supply fused separately to the main fuse board).  If the fridge relay has failed closed, you should see that load on the starter battery, so unless someone has re-wired the fridge 12V from the habitation batteries it can't be the fridge.  Is there a motorised step that has jammed part way back, leaving its connection live?  Has anyone installed an inverter to feed equipment connected to the 230V supply, such as satellite dish, digital decoder, and TV, that have all been left on standby?  Something along these lines.  Are there several wires connected the the habitation batteries?  If so, where do they go?  Is there a tank heater, fresh water or waste tank?  Though, I would expect that supply to be fused.  Is there even a second fuseboard, covering further circuits?  Hope this may help.

While you are searching, I think I'd switch off the charger, and then disconnect at the negative terminal of the batteries (or pull the fuse on the main feed) - just in case!! :-)

Guest Tracker

If you can get the front of the display panel off to remove it or gain access behind it you could try unpluging, waiting a few seconds and repluging the multi wire connector to the back of it.

This resets the dispaly to 'factory' settings and can sometimes put right a glitch - although I would be very surprised if it helped here - but you never know?

Hello I can’t see any extras connected straight to the battery

I tried turning the fridge on to 12v and there was no increase in amps used?

I have just disconnected both leisure batteries and it still says -9.6

While I was trying to trace the problem I tuned the ultra store water heater on and it tripped the 240 power off could this be linked maybe Thank you very much for your help

leley - 2010-03-12 12:03 PM

I have just disconnected both leisure batteries and it still says -9.6

Hi again Leley,

Tracker has just confirmed how I thought you reset the panel.

To remove the bezel put your finger nails under the top edge on the display and gently lift the edge then pull forward, don't try levering off with a screwdriver. This is how the Sargent guy said to remove the bezel. You will then see 2 small screws, undo them and ease the panel forward. You can then unplug the panel as Tracker said, wait a few seconds and replug. Hopefully this will cure your problems :-D

Keith.

leley - 2010-03-12 12:03 PM Hello I can’t see any extras connected straight to the battery I tried turning the fridge on to 12v and there was no increase in amps used? I have just disconnected both leisure batteries and it still says -9.6 While I was trying to trace the problem I tuned the ultra store water heater on and it tripped the 240 power off could this be linked maybe Thank you very much for your help

Unless the Ultrastore is full of water, don't turn it on again!!  It should not be operated on mains unless full.  Whether that may be connected, I know not, but you've said you have now disconnected both batteries and the gauge still reads -9.6, which is very odd. 

Is this an LCD readout, or an analogue gauge with a swinging needle?  If the former - assuming you have turned off the charger - the gauge should have died with the batteries disconnected.  If it is an analogue gauge, it may just be they the needle has stuck, and a gentle tap will persuade it to drop back to zero.

I have just tried to reset the display panel; it came off just as you said.

Disconnected it and replaced it after a minute but just the same read out.

It is an Lcd gauge/ ultra store heater was full

I was just wondering if I have disconnected both leisure batteries could the display now be powered off the vehicle battery or how else could it be powered

leley - 2010-03-12 4:51 PM I have just tried to reset the display panel; it came off just as you said. Disconnected it and replaced it after a minute but just the same read out. It is an Lcd gauge/ ultra store heater was full I was just wondering if I have disconnected both leisure batteries could the display now be powered off the vehicle battery or how else could it be powered

Unless someone else knows the answer, then, I think it is time to get an ice pack, and sit down with the manuals!  Something is wrong with the reading from that panel.  The reading cannot be coming from the leisure batteries, so must be either a panel fault, or recording some other value.  If it were reading the starter battery, it should be totally flat by now at that rate of discharge!  Have you tried Sergeant, as they make the panel, to see if they have any ideas?

Guest Tracker

Assuming it is a Sargant system why not phone or email them as I have always found them very helpful and it is quite psssible that you are not the first person to experience this problem and they might be able to point you in the right direction?

That said I am suspicious that this is not a problem with the Sargant kit but I get the feeling that you have either a defective bit of equipment connected or some faulty wiring.

Can you get a current reading in series between the battery terminal post and the battery terminal clamp when removed?

If you have a digital meter you will need to start with 20 amps, if you have it, and work down rather than risk damage to the meter.

This is turning into a bit of a puzzle and I think I am out of my depth a bit so unless one of the real experts is watching you may need to consult a decent auto electrician, or your local motorhome dealer?

Yeah certainly is a puzzle, I think your right its time to let somebody have a quick look at it especially with the water heater tripping the 240v board as well.

The sergeant seems to respond correctly to lights etc being tuned on so I am starting to agree with the faulty wiring /appliance theory

Going to get it looked at next week. I will let you know what they find for future reference.

Many thanks for your time

Guest Tracker

You are very welcome Leley, sorry we could not help.

Good luck and hope it don't cost you too much to fix and it will be very interesting to discover what it is - much more so when someone else pays!

Guest Tracker

Would love too but it might be a very small collection!

I could let you have two part worn leisure batteries cheap - one not very careful owner if that would help!

Well I have been told by the garage that the battery drain was simply caused by a bad connection on one of the leisure batteries. (Simple repair job)

But the element has gone in the Ultra store water heater (big job?) any body had an Ulta store element replaced before.

Archived