French Phrase Book?

Madmaggott

Can anyone recommend a phrase book that is geared to motorhoming please?  I have a smattering of french from my schooldays but really need a bit more of the language as we intend to utilise french passion sites and I expect not to find english widely spoken (and why should it be?).

We have Berlitz, Collins and Dorling Kindersley phrase books in several languages.  I think, overall, the Berlitz have the most useful collection of words and phrases, and are the most logically and simply, laid out.  The French one, among other things, has quite a bit on cars and bikes, and even a bit on camping.

The one we have (ISBN 981-246-010-1) is dated 2002 and was £3.95.  I see the latest edition is now £15 odd on Amazon - a joke, surely?

I like the Collins Gem phrase book, both for its content and size - it fits into a shirt top pocket.

For camping specific phrases I make up my own. I then translate them into French and phonetically using a couple of sites that both translate and vocalise the phrase.

The phrases are then printed with the paper sized and folded to fit into the phrase book.

I have used this method for other European languages and find it works very well.

Cattwg

:-D

Guest JudgeMental

TRUCE!

The ABE book shop sells secondhand books, and some are older editions but that don't make to much difference in guide books etc...

But I then found the book repository and with the free postage, I think they are probably the cheapest new book retailer about. I bought "the girl with the dragon tattoo" the other week for £3.49, not bad as in the high street it is almost double that.

It depends which France Passion sites you visit as to how much English is spoken and hence how much you will need your Phrase book. On the whole we have found that the wine growers, partucularly the larger ones, speak some, if not fluent, English. Farm sites and camping carists tend to be mainly French speaking. In all cases however, always start with some French and if the hosts can speak any English they will then do so. With this mixture of French and English we manage not just to find our pitch and buy the wine but engage in some interesting conversations!

In case of interest.

In addition to the Berlitz for Travellers guides and a Collins mini dictionary, I use this free course from the BBC to brush up the language before going to France. It's in short modules so is easy to dip in and out of as time permits. In particular, the facility to quickly turn sub-titles on and off renders the short video tutorials very useful. I find too that the interactivity of the exercises helps my thought-processes adjust to working in the language once over there and my pocket guides can be more effectively deployed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/french/mafrance/

Bob

Archived