ANYONE BEEN TO SLOVENIA

aj8one

We stayed at campsite at the end of lake Bled it's a good site and takes camping cheques.you can cycle round the lake Bled town is at the other end.We did a easy drive to Lubianka ,there's agood site a short bus ride from the capital citythe also take camping cheque's so both will be in the camping cheque book.There's also 3 site's in theACSI book.We used free Autoroutes through Belgium Germany and Austria where we paid 8 euroes which lasts for two weeks (weight up to 3500kgs) hope this helps

bas. ps people very friendly and most speak English.

Over the years we've used 3 sites that I can recall in Slovenia

Campingplatz Šobec *****

Sobceva cesta 25

4248 Lesce................ near Lake Bled ACSI listed. Very good and if you're lucky you may manage to find a riverside pitch (ACSI listed)

Ljubljana Resort (hotel & camping) ****

Dunajska cesta 270, Jezica

1000 Ljubljana ....... short easy bus ride to very pleasant city centre. Good for a couple of nights but we found it very busy even in low season with high turnover of units daily so we moved on after seeing city. (take Camping Cheques from memory)

Camping Terme Ptuj ****

Pot v Toplice 9

2251 Ptuj ......... Ptuj is a nice town to amble around. Easy to walk in from site (20mins?) and even easier to cycle. Site is fine though can be very busy with people using it as a stopover on way to/from Croatia and Austria.

We enjoy Slovenia (and Croatia). Well worth a visit and english widely spoken

Arthur

Hi,

We toured Slovenia a few years ago in 2006 and really enjoyed it.

We stayed at the three listed ACSI discount sites and a couple of others and an aire (there are a few and wild camping is banned - officially).

I think Camping Danica between Bled and Bohinja was the nicest site.

I believe you now need a vignette for motorway driving similar to Austria

There are some photos on our website here:

http://www.motorhomeandaway.com/slovenia_06_1.htm

Enjoy your travels

Steve

interested myself as we may be heading that way in may particularly interested in the mention of an aire(or aires?), are they easy to locate?

i believe slovenia/croatia is quite expensive? what would i expect to pay on a campsite? are they plentiful and easy to find, or is a guide strongly recommended? 8-)

RE Croatia

Agree the Plitvice lakes in Croatia are stunning and in our view a must. There are sites close by, though we've not stayed on any of them so can't comment.

Check out sites on Camping Cheques website. I'm sure there's listed there.

http://www.campingcheque.co.uk/

We love Autocamp Slapic near Karlovac. Not a pretty town but the site is wonderful, at the side of a beautiful river. Family run, all speak english apart from the father. Very welcoming. Bar, restaurant etc (Slap = waterfall and ic = little so Slapic is little waterfall)

Krk island also stunning

Arthur

We went in 2008, thoroughly enjoyed it. Lake Bled very picturesque quite touristy. The Soca valley not to be missed.

Camp sites in 2008 (£1.25€/£) were about £24 fairly basic, there are a few Aires, wild camping is illegal.

There is an Aire (free hookup) by the chair lift at Bovec in the Soca valley.

The road of a 100 hairpins is a great drive (main drag down the valley) the hairpins are numbered but there are just as many bends almost as tight, road is good & quite wide.

The Postojna Caves well worth a visit.

They are big in water sports, canoeing the rapids & white water rafting.

Some photo's here :

http://picasaweb.google.com/lennyhb/GermanySloveniaAug2008

Photos from 2nd pic in 3rd row are Slovenia.

Quick tip

Make sure your insurance covers you for Slovenia, Croatia etc. We went a couple of years ago to Italy and decided we wanted to cross the border. I don't know why but I called Safeguard, our MH insurer to ask if we were covered. NO! not without a green card. The Europe wide cover excludes some areas. The Green card is free, but you do need to make sure you have one with you. At that time we were towing our Smart car (on an A frame B-) ) and a similar call to the car insurers said we were covered for that, so we left the van in Trieste and crossed into Slovenia and Croatia in the car for a couple of days.

Worth checking.

KeithR - 2010-03-13 9:44 PM

i believe slovenia/croatia is quite expensive? what would i expect to pay on a campsite? are they plentiful and easy to find, or is a guide strongly recommended? 8-)

I think that a campsite guide and a tourist guide eg "The Rough Guide" are staples of any trip. I wouldn't even contemplate doing without either.

The Caravan Club site guides "Europe 1" or "Europe 2" are very good - comments from CC members with details of sites and prices. Also have you looked at ACSI or Camping Cheques websites (if you are not going peak season)? They provide good campsite guides and discounted camping.

Agreed.  Far better to get a guide, or borrow one from the library, and look through for things that interest you, than to rely on suggestions from strangers with whom you may have no common interests.  For sites I think Caravan Europe will be better value than ACSI, as there are only 4 sites listed in the 2010 ACSI guide as giving the off-season discount, 1 NE, 3 NW, of Ljubljana.  Indicated prices from 13Euros to 35Euros per night.  We spent 2 weeks in Slovenia in 2008, en route to Hungary, and it seemed no more expensive than anywhere else.  It is very attractive in the spring, and the Slovenians are, generally, friendly, pleasant, helpful people, and brilliant linguists.

Archived