solar panel query

cruiser

Time for another quickie. I have a Maplins solar panel running through a Maplins regulator which I clip on to the leisure battery terminals when required. It's really a very efficient set-up for trickle charging, but I was wondering...would it be O.K. to leave the regulator permanently connected to the leisure battery and just plug in the panel when I need to? This would save reaching into the battery compartment and fiddling around trying to connect the croc clips etc. Whilst I'm on the subject, if that's O.K. then is it also safe to leave the solar panel connected for a few days (or weeks) at a time? P.S: Happy St. Patricks Day to all! :D (lol)

fit the leads from the solar panel controller to the battery using eye terminals so you can bolt them to the terminals much safer than clips which may cause a spark if the slip off whilst the panels is charging. Put an inline fuse in the positive lead. Leaving the panels permantely connected using a regulator will keep the batteries topped up and the regulator prevents overcharging.

HI Cruiser,

Hope you don't mind me jumping on your thread. I've had our M/H for about a year now, staying on sites with a hook up.

I've just bought a 12 W solar panel from Maplins on offer for £50.

Re connecting to the battery does anybody think it would be ok to use the 12V socket next to the water filler or the 12 V plug by the tv aerial, using the appropriate adaptor. The panel kicks out about 1 amp, and the M/H only has one 85 amp leisure battery. Don't plan on leaving the panel on permenantly, just placing it on the roof when we camp without a hookup.

The M/H is a 2009 Elddis Sunseeker.

Cheers

Andy

Archived