Visit to Ireland North & South

marcob

Hi

Has anyone visited Ireland in the last year?

I have been looking at camp site prices, they look very expensive, £22-£28

per night last year, probably more now with the poor exchange rate.

Are there any cheaper farm site?

Is wild camping tollerated?

I have been told the roads are in a very bad state of repair down south.

Any information appreciated.

Regards

Hi Marcob

We have been to southern and north/northern Ireland but it was a good few years ago. At the times the roads were absolutely atrocious, but they were doing a lot of work on the infrastructure so hopefully things are better now.

We also did a fair amount of wild camping at some lovely places - we were careful to make sure we didn't upset anyone by not parking next to houses etc as much as possible, or blocking/spoiling places for others.

There are a few members located in Ireland in Ireland so if you can get hold of them they can give you up to date info.

When we went the campsites were expensive hence the wild camping, but there are quite a few and if you contact the tourist board you can get them to send you a brochure with them all in.

Despite the cost, it is a very beautiful place - but make sure you go in the main summer months if you can (ideally June-August) as it rains a lot anyway, but even more so out of this time period.

:-S

Hi Mel B

Thats very good of you "you did a fair bit of wild camping in Ireland", thats odd after you seemed to condemn it on Creakey's post where he was talking about wild camping in Portugal ?

Quote " I can't blame Portugal and the like for clamping down on the so called motorhomers who are causing problems, ask yourself, if you had one of these massive 'motorhome parking places' a few hundred yards from where you live, would you be happy???? I certainly woudn't. What if a load of foreign motorhomes invaded your favourite British sea-side resort and made it impossible for you to go and spend a bit of time there - you certainly would not be very pleased." Unquote

Henry

We had a month all round Ireland last year. yes the costs of all things are high, even to the extent of government levy's being shown and charged on some receipts. The tourist areas are especially high, a simple fish and chips may cost you twice the UK price. (at least). The very north east corner was the opposite.

We have a particlular fancy to Chowder, it was served everywhere and it varied noticeably, often when there was a higher cost there were more vegetables included? Eating out, I cannot say I found any of the food tasty. Roast dinners seem unheard of. Most things boiled seemed to be the norm.

The fuel was cheaper than here but all other things are up. I believe the Irish government is in poor shape financially. Some roads in the very south are grim. In some parts the every day roads are similar to UK Motorways with very little traffic.

We noticed several places where overnight stops could be made without being a nuisance to anyone. If calling at an isolated pub have a word with the landlord, I'm sure they would accommodate you and make sure you offer something or ask first.

Many talk of height barriers, yes is some popular scenic viewing parks but in general we noticed almost none.

The Irish people are fine. We met some Eastern European girls serving in a bar who were definitely setting out to overcharge the tourist, I suggest you watch the till prices very carefully, they may be different to what you are asked to pay. Remember you are a foreigner!

This was adjacent to the entrance of a camp site at Wesport Co. Mayo

Note ..... I said "Eastern European" not the genuine local residents.

Jon

Barney123 - 2010-03-14 6:58 PM

Hi Mel B

Thats very good of you "you did a fair bit of wild camping in Ireland", thats odd after you seemed to condemn it on Creakey's post where he was talking about wild camping in Portugal ?

Quote " I can't blame Portugal and the like for clamping down on the so called motorhomers who are causing problems, ask yourself, if you had one of these massive 'motorhome parking places' a few hundred yards from where you live, would you be happy???? I certainly woudn't. What if a load of foreign motorhomes invaded your favourite British sea-side resort and made it impossible for you to go and spend a bit of time there - you certainly would not be very pleased." Unquote

Barney ... I suggest you read my original reply above carefully and not try to take it out of context. You'll then see that we are very careful where we park, always out of the way, not bothering anyone, and usually alone. The Portugal wild camping is a completely different thing altogether with lots and lots of motorhomes all in one place and as you can plainly observe, it is this 'mass' motorhome gathering and the problems that ensue (as per the rest of the Portugal thread) that I was referring to.

Now, if all you want to do is pick a fight, please go find someone else to have a 'barney' with as I'm not biting. :-D

Archived