Travelling to Switzerland

jennet

We are planning to go to Switzerland June/early July and would be interested to hear from anyone that has been there in a motorhome. We have been by car back in the 80's, exploring the Interlaken area. Recommended campsites would be helpful. We are particularly interested in exploring the Zermatt area also St Moritz. We hope to be there about one week before travelling on to Chamanoix and the French Alps. We love mountains, mountain passes, scenery and walking. Not so keen Cities. I have all the info on the Swiss motorway tolls. Any ideas on routes/campsites would be appreciated

Thanks.

Jennet

Guest JudgeMental

We normally spend a week there on our way to Italy, and have been for the last 3 years. Last year we stayed in Interlaken, some great cycling and lake trips.Around Lucerne is nice also, sorry not been to Zermatt. For campsites get an ACSI book/DVD and caravan club Europe is a good resource. unfortunately the "search" facility is not working as per usual *-) but a lot of info on there...

Cheapest Route IMO is through Belgium - Luxembourg (cheap fuel) - Strasbourg and though the Alsace region via Colmar - Basel etc...

Motorway all the way and only two small tolls near Strasbourg

I love Switzerland but not warm enough for us. We need a fix of real deep heat with barmy summer evenings to feel like we have had a proper holiday :-D

Depends on whether you want a quick route or one avoiding tolls, also which part you are heading to first. The quickest is by French autoroute via Reims, Dijon to Geneva, some 500 miles from Calais, we always travel off autoroutes in the M/H so Eddie,s way is as good as any. Coming out of Switzerland to Chamonix I would go via Martigny then over the Col de Montet to Argentiere.

Not done North of Switzerland for some time, camping sites that is. Have travelled North to South via Basel to visit our favourite site right on the banks of Lake Geneva(Camping De Vidy - Lausanne). As previously recommended ACSI guide very good as is Caravan Club Europe Guide.

Once travelled down from Hook through Belgium, Luxembourg, Liechtenstine, and France. Stayed at Lauterbrunnen. Then came back through Austria and Germany. We used the Caravan Club sites book.

Sorry to say we didn't like Switzerland or the Swiss. We find the Tirol in Austria much better. Austrians are a delight and the scenery is stunning up in the Alpine valleys.

Hi jennet

We are also planning a trip to Switzerland at about the same time and I asked a similar question some time back - but cannot find it now on the search.

Another member, RonB, kindly contacted me and sent me his travelogue of previous trips he has made which contains lots of useful first hand information.

He may be away just now and hasn't seen your post but I'm sure he wouldn't mind my sharing the information with you.

If you PM me with your e-mail address I will send it on to you.

Regards,

David

• 2 weeks later...

Lucerne is well worth a visit - camping Lido is just on the edge of town http://www.camping-international.ch/web_final/camping_luzern_news_e.html. Also Vitznau on the other side of the lake is the starting point for the train to Mount Rigi also worth a visit. You can take the train up the mountain and walk down as much as you want as the train makes lots of stops on the way down. The campsite in Vitznau is also very good http://www.camping-vitznau.ch/.

I found the town of Interlaken a bit touristy and we couldn't explore the area very much during our visit as it rained constantly for the 2 days we were there in fact it rained a lot during our time in Switzerland. We were there in early June - maybe it is dryer later in the summer.

Regarding Tolls etc, you can buy the Motorway Vignette at the border as you enter the country. We only spent a week or so in Switzerland as we were really only passing through on our way to Italy but really enjoyed the few days and would love to go back again

Hi

We stayed at one of the many campsites in interlaken (google interlaken and they are listed on an excellent website) that are walking distance from town. Purchased a 6 day ticket that covered all local trains, buses, and cable cars (except final one up Jungfrau) soooo you can catch a train up mountain - then a cable car further up - walk all day and catch a bus back to town - 6 brilliant days of high level walking including Eiger trail that runs along the bottom of the North face (mind you the tickets not cheap!).

Enjoy

Peter

Archived