Dog insurance for travelling in northern Europe

RogerGW

My thanks to everyone for your responses to my question about dog food abroad (see http://tinyurl.com/yeuwdaf ). I'm now trying to fix up travel insurance for my dog. We'll be touring the Low Countries, Scandinavia and Finland for at least three months, starting in May.

I would welcome recommendations for a good and cost-effective policy to cover her while we're away. Jenny is already insured in the UK by Tesco (i.e. UK Insurance Ltd) but they won't give overseas cover for more than 30 days.

I'd prefer supplementary cover but am willing to take out a new UK plus overseas policy if that's best. There's still 6 months to run on the Tesco policy but I pay monthly, so should be able to cancel it easily.

TIA,

Roger

Hi Roger

Have you got your own travel insurance sorted yet? If not, there is one company, Primary Insurance, that includes dog insurance up to £300 with no excess for their standard and comprehesive policies. We've been with them for a couple of years now and have had to make use of their cover.

See item J on the below link:

http://www.primaryinsurance.co.uk/policydocuments/Summary_of_Cover.pdf

It would help more if you advise what it is you want covering. Is it vets fees or repatriation in the event of accidents? If its the former then I think the C&CC Carefree Travel Insurance will cover if the later then the Caravan Clubs Red Pennant covers but neither cover both.

peedee

Have you got your own travel insurance sorted yet? If not, there is one company, Primary Insurance, that includes dog insurance up to £300 with no excess for their standard and comprehesive policies

Thanks, Mel. I rang them and was told that was for a dog that you left behind, not one you take with you. Sounds odd to me but the young lady was adamant. Also, £300 wouldn't go far in case of treatment, kennelling, repatriation, etc.

Cheers,

Roger

It would help more if you advise what it is you want covering. Is it vets fees or repatriation in the event of accidents?

Both, and more. At a friend's suggestion, I tried E&L -- http://www.eandl.co.uk/pet/pet-travel-insurance. They've quoted me for £142 for a year's cover. It's dear but is the sort of thing I'm after.

From elsewhere, I've had the suggestion of NFU Mutual, so I'll call them tomorrow.

I have already tried both clubs for my travel insurance but neither was remotely competitive. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Roger

RogerGW - 2010-03-15 8:20 PM

Have you got your own travel insurance sorted yet? If not, there is one company, Primary Insurance, that includes dog insurance up to £300 with no excess for their standard and comprehesive policies

Thanks, Mel. I rang them and was told that was for a dog that you left behind, not one you take with you. Sounds odd to me but the young lady was adamant. Also, £300 wouldn't go far in case of treatment, kennelling, repatriation, etc.

Cheers,

Roger

Parson my 'French' but she's talking b*llocks! We had to make a claim with them in June/July last year when one of our dogs, Romy, badly broke her dew claw the day before we were due to come back. An immediate trip to the vet and a nice bill for around 60 euros was made. We then made a claim and at first the part of the company that deals with the claims wrote back and told us we were not covered for pets. I rang her up and pointed out that it was in the policy we had bought and was also on their website policy details too ... the lady looked at the website whilst I was on the phone and was amazed to find we were covered after all and made arrangements for immediate payment!!!!!!!

It is unusual to be covered, but we were and we knew it as that was why we'd bought the policy which was only about £1 dearer than a similar policy without pet cover. However, if you feel the level of cover isn't sufficient there's no point, but I don't know if you'll get what your after elsewhere, or even if it exists without a large payment.

Parson my 'French' but she's talking b*llocks!

Well, Asterix was French, wasn't he? 8=)

My phone call and your experience don't inspire confidence in these people. I've now had a look at the policy document (rather than the summary) and section J of that is ambiguously worded except for this item from the exceptions:

"any dog or cat that does not comply fully with immigration guidelines with regard to microchip, inoculations, pet passport etc."

That indisputably makes the policy applicable to a pet that travels.

However, if you feel the level of cover isn't sufficient there's no point, but I don't know if you'll get what your after elsewhere, or even if it exists without a large payment.

I can get it (see my reply to "peedee") but I'm resigned to its costing me more than the £1 extra you paid.

Roger

Because of the Tesco ruling I changed my dog`s insurance to Argos Pet insurance - they allow 90 days under the Pet Travel Scheme if you take out the basic cover or unlimited travel if you take out the Platinum Plan. The cost was only marginally dearer then the Tesco premium!

Suggest you give them a call on 0845 640 0723

Ian

I'm now trying to fix up travel insurance for my dog.

I've at last found what I think is a suitable policy. It's from John Lewis, trading as Greenbee [http://www.greenbee.com/pet-insurance ]. The insurer is AXA and the broker is BDML Connect, in Portsmouth, who handle calls for several companies.

Thanks again, everyone, for your help.

Roger

- - - - -

Other members might find the following helpful.

I've looked at 14 companies so far but found only 4 who would cover me for the period I want. They are John Lewis, Halifax, Argos (Gold and Platinum) and E&L. Halifax are asking roughly twice what John Lewis are, while offering generally lower cover. Argos seem to have a patchy claims record. Based on the evidence from elsewhere, E&L are not even that good.

E&L are the only insurer I contacted who provide travel-only cover. All the others give domestic and travel cover combined, so I'll be terminating my existing Tesco policy.

There are at least 2 other insurers who will provide decent cover for foreign travel but for only 90 days. They are Marks & Spencer and PetPlan.

The following companies offer only 30 or 60-day cover -- Direct Line, NFU Mutual, Petguard, Primary Insurance, Tesco (current insurer) and Virgin.

There's also Sainsbury's but they won't cover Staffies, so I didn't investigate further.

Finally, I found two useful listings sites. They are knowyourmoney [http://www.knowyourmoney.co.uk/pet-insurance ] and review centre [http://www.reviewcentre.com/products366.html ] .

[ends]

Archived