£ fallen below 1.10 euro

Guest JudgeMental

Guest Tracker

So the pound has fallen - so what - you still get 10% more for your money in Europe than you do in the UK.

Stop grumbling and get out there and redistribute some of your kids inheritance whilst you still have health enough to do it.

The fact of the matter is if you ask 6 of the top economists in this country you will probably have 6 different views. Economics has always been a nebulous subject, currency exchange rates a conundrum, and fiscal control an impossible dream. How many people (and that includes contributors here) could explain in simple terms why we can not have just one currency in the world. Would that not solve the problem, any initial crisis would be foregotten in a generation, and the world could forever be as one*-) Oh yes and it would remove the scourge of us all, currency speculation>:-)

Roy Fuller

So we are almost one for one. and our month in the south of france will cost a slice more.Iaccept the fact that anywhere i go is no longer as cheap as we used to expect.laying by the pool with a bottle of cold wine will still make it worth it.and i can park most places without some council git telling me i cant.get over it!

Get over it says Tazdog, yes, cheap parking, cheap plonk, relaxed camping, that's not in dispute.

But it still rankles when I look back and remember seeing Euro 1.56 on my credit card statements..

Hardly a slice is it?

As Tommy Cooper might have said, well don't look back then :D

Martyn

Just to cheer you all up, my first experiences of France were at 1,400 (old) Francs to the Pound, the equivalent of 2.13 Euros today.  Later, there was a period when the Franc seemed to hover around 10 (new Francs) to the pound, or about 1.53 Euros.  It roughly maintained this parity until mid 2007, when the pound began sliding.  It plateaued in mid 2008 at around 1.25, then fell off a cliff in the autumn, falling to just over 1.02.  Since then it has fluctuated between 1.18 in the summer and 1.07 in the autumn of 2009.  Today is just less than 1.11.

That, sadly for me, maps about 50 years of superb economic management by successive British governments, all of whom seemed to think the rest of the world was getting it wrong!  Now, who do you really want in charge after the election?  :-D

First time we went to France in 1979 it was 10.5 francs to the pound went into a bank to get some francs about a 1½ weeks after being away an got 8 francs/£ thought we had been ripped off. No internet in those days when we got home found the pound had fallen by over 20% in a week.

Last year Holland in March at 1.05/£ expensive, Germany in June at 1.15/£ cheaper than the UK.

Lets hope a change of Government will give others more confidence in the UK.

It would be nice to see an English government I object to having a Scottish Prime minister & half the cabinet Scottish when we have paid a fortune for their own assembly, to an Englishman it don't seem right.

Archived