Our Own Elected Moderator/Mediator

Corky 8

Since someone was kind enough to mention my name in this context, and someone else even kinder in de-mentioning it, I suppose, apart from saying thank you for the thought, I should declare that, like Derek, my hand is very firmly down!  NOT ON YER BLEEDIN' NELLY!  :-D  Life really is far, far, too short!

As a group of (more or less :-)) mature adults, surely we should not need someone else to tell us what to think, how to "speak", or when we are being rude or aggressive?  We should know, or be able to see, when we go/have gone too far, and be adult enough to apologise if we cause hurt or upset.  Good judgement is, IMO, a far better route to peace than good moderation. 

Relatively few of us have ever met in person, so we do not know each other in any true sense, yet we - perhaps too often - assume knowledge of the strangers we "meet" here, sometimes making assumptions about them, their attitudes and personalities that we have no way of knowing are right.

I would like to make just one suggestion, that I do not expect to be especially popular, but I think may just take the sting from some of the rows.  The suggestion is to use our own names in lieu of aliases, and our own mug shots in lieu of avatars.  I confess to having a slight aversion to folk who seek to "hide" in anonymity, and an intense dislike of apparently holding conversations with cartoons, dogs, and cats, when there is a real person in there somewhere, behind all the words, who I am trying to address.  I know there are fears about identity theft but, if we are prepared to show our faces, and answer to our own names, might we not also be inclined to show each other just a little more respect?  Just an idea, mind!  :-D

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brian a well written post but how would you know the picture is really of the poster? :D

how do we know that your avatar is a picture of you and not some hansome chap you found a picture of on google search images.

I do agree about the recent upsets and posts on here and thought we already had a good mod

GypsyTom - 2010-03-17 12:49 PM
Hymer C 9. - 2010-03-16 5:58 PM...I believe Warners are updating the forum some time this year so why alter anything why not wait and see what the new formula brings...

Derek Uzell,  Just curious where you got that idea from?

I'm assuming that you're being ironic?

Posted by a Mr. D. Uzzell on February 16th.

Anyway, all you 'Mr Angry's had better watch out as, when the revised Warners forum goes live in a couple of months time, there's going to be amateur Moderators from within the forum membership (like on MotorHomeFacts). So, as invariably happens when people are given power, you can expect a Rule of Terror to begin with.

Gipsy Tom, Thank you thought I was going daft, I'm not that clever at the search engine I have had a look but could not find it, I did think Derek was teasing me though. :-)

So the status quo will prevail, but I hope this short discussion will help people bear in mind feelings and Opinions  of others when any debate gets heated, Good Manners and politeness cost nothing.    Safe journey,s

Corky 8 - 2010-03-17 6:59 PM

So the status quo will prevail, but I hope this short discussion will help people bear in mind feelings and Opinions  of others when any debate gets heated, Good Manners and politeness cost nothing.    Safe journey,s

Corky 8 - is that really you........................?

Guest peter
johngee - 2010-03-16 1:21 PM

I would like to volunteer to be a moderator because I will:

Rule the forum with a fist of iron

Not tolerate spelling mistakes or grammatical errors

Move posts if I think they are in the wrong place

Remove anything not aligned to my opinion

Ban contributors in a random & totally arbitary manner

Create mayhem & confusion throughout the land

Rid the world of all known diseases

DELETE ALL TRACKERS POSTS AS A MATTER OF COURSE (SH*TSTIRER)

DELETE ALL MICHELE'S AS WELL AS SHE WRITES GOBLEDEGOOK HALF THE TIME

DELETE ALL J9'S AS WELL AS SHE IS ALWAYS TAKING THE P*SS OUT OF US MEN

DELETE ALL DONNA MILLER'S AS WELL BECAUSE SHE HATES MEN

THINK THAT'S ABOUT IT FOR NOW.

Vote for me and give meaning to my otherwise pointless existence.

:D :D

(lol) (lol) (lol)

Corky 8 - is that really you........................?

-----

David, shouldnt mock the afficted,the lisp as all but gone the scaring is getting faint,still have a problems wearing glasses , cant help drooling and its hard to get a coat that fits ,but I,m  easy going blessed with Patience and Manners, and intouch with my feminine side. and hung like a donkey.    Dennis

peter - 2010-03-17 9:23 PM

johngee - 2010-03-16 1:21 PM

Vote for me and give meaning to my otherwise pointless existence.

:D :D

(lol) (lol) (lol)

Come the revolution, Peter, heads will roll...... :D

From the above post it looks like I have been quoted thus:

Just to say that the comments in upper case are not mine & my quoted post has been doctored!!

johngee - 2010-03-18 8:09 AM

Just to say that the comments in upper case are not mine & my quoted post has been doctored!!

It's alright Johngee, we all know it's Peter, he hates anyone with a higher IQ than himself, which is pretty much everything with a pulse, and as for the capital letters, it's only because he can't write with his tongue out and his big green crayon on here. :D

donna miller - 2010-03-18 8:39 AM

johngee - 2010-03-18 8:09 AM

It's alright Johngee, we all know it's Peter, he hates anyone with a higher IQ than himself, which is pretty much everything with a pulse, and as for the capital letters, it's only because he can't write with his tongue out and his big green crayon on here. :D

Priceless .....!!!! (lol)

Guest Tracker
Mel B - 2010-03-18 4:29 PM

Priceless .....!!!! (lol)

Which is more than can be said for Peter - and he calls me a motion strirrer?

Two 'r's I believe Peter which is more than can be said of your good self where one ars applies at times!

As the forum part of the Out&AboutLive website is regularly criticised for its technical shortcomings (useless Search, no FAQs, difficulty adding photos, star/expert 'rating' system, etc.) and inadequate Moderation, I don't really understand why people bother participating if they dislike the thing so much. There must be alternative forums that are technically more user-friendly, fuller featured or (if you really must be dominated) have a 'sterner' Moderation policy, that one might think would be a better choice.

So what's the fatal attraction of the O&AL forums - surely you can't all be masochists?

I believe that if the site is small, then that is because it is not attracting enough members.

As for informal, I cannot agree, like many others, I look at various associated sites and find them more relaxed. They have their share of disagreements and spats at times, that`s life.

Whatever is decided, let us hope the Moderator does not turn into the Terminator. :-(

I find this site friendly easy to use (apart from the search) generally helpful.

I look at other forums but very seldom post on them.

When comparing with other forums most of the time when asking questions you get more useful answers here. We have a nice hardcore of knowledgeable people here willing to spend time researching items to help others.

I have experienced four motorhome forums but rarely post on any other than this.

The first one I ever joined used to be really good but decided it was going to charge for the privilege. A protracted, and often heated, debate took place as to the rights and wrongs of that decision which ended in many of the original members turning their backs on the site (I still believe the way to handle that was to have given the founding members lifetime membership in recognition for all the 'intellectual property' they had contributed since its' inception).

One of the other two is certainly friendly enough but seems to have less going on than this site. The remaining forum I have only accessed in the last few months and I am struggling to keep up with the amount of innane banter that gets posted. Each day there are about 3 - 4 pages of 'new posts' to catch up - many unrelated to motorhoming.

So I come back to this genteel oasis of calm and feel quite at home.

David

At the end of the day there is nothing people like better than to find a couple or two people slagging it out like prizefighters. This to me became very apparent when I happened to come across such an incident in the making, on this forum. Various remarks were made by others, to not actively become involved, but to add a bite of fuel to keep it going. At lest this is the worst part of human nature but it is natural and it happens everyday in different guise's. People watch bullies while they torment their victims but few people intercede, but then they condemn the bullies in private. Romans loved to see victims in their arenas, people love bull fighting, fox hunting, all rather cruel, but it appeals to the human nature. So quite honestly if people wish to lower themselves to a level of entertainment, or maybe they feel safe in their anonimity on the forum, I say let them get on with it.

Hi Tomored - welcome to the mad house!

I supposed I'm one of the interceders (is that a word? 8-) ). Can't stand bullying in any shape or form and will stand up for those who are victims of such, be it on the forum, at work, out in the 'world', wherever it happens. I would much rather do that than stand idly by and let others be bullied, even if it means I then become the target for their wrath, at least it then takes the heat away from the original victim. :-S

Derek Uzzell - 2010-03-19 8:54 AM

As the forum part of the Out&AboutLive website is regularly criticised for its technical shortcomings (useless Search, no FAQs, difficulty adding photos, star/expert 'rating' system, etc.) and inadequate Moderation, I don't really understand why people bother participating if they dislike the thing so much. There must be alternative forums that are technically more user-friendly, fuller featured or (if you really must be dominated) have a 'sterner' Moderation policy, that one might think would be a better choice.

So what's the fatal attraction of the O&AL forums - surely you can't all be masochists?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dominated :D oh Derek, now there's a thought, I think the fatal attraction for me is the fact that it is as Judge says a friendly community in general if your not sure how to download a picture some one will help out, if your stuck with your Tom-Tom you know way2go will be along to help, with technical stuff your good self & Brian Kirby as well as a lot of others will always try and put you on the right road.

Your can follow Blogs like Berti's fun factual and full of interest. Any travel questions and Don Madge is a font of knowledge.

We have Chatterbox where those of us inclined can have a crack about most things serious or otherwise.

Like most forums it looses its way sometimes but it is soon sorted out, it would be a shame for to much about it to be changed. Carol.

Archived