Fresh water hose

RogP

I need to get a hose to fill up the fresh tank.

I've had the blue flat ones in the past but find them fiddly especially ensuring they drain properly , then winding them up. However from a storage point of view they take less space. But at £30 for a 15m roll its a but stiff.

Can anyone offer some advice as to other types of hose and their pros and cons?

I use a flat blue one, the trick is to make sure it drains AS you wind it up.

I always ensure it's fully unwound before I fill up (if I'm right next to the tap I have a short length to use instead), then when I disconnect I hold the reel above the level of the van's filler and rewind it slowly, allowing it to drain as I go.

Watch as it meets the reel, to be sure it's flattening copmpletely - you'll see a bulge if there's any water stuck in it.

I wouldn't use any other kind - you'd have the same problem, and no way of knowing whether it's empty or not.

Guest Tracker

I use ordinary garden hose and Hozelock type connectors.

I have a convenient 12' length coiled up in the loo locker (in a suitable bag)(Morrisons) which I use when near a tap which is most times, and two other lengths of 20' and 30' making a total of 60', buried away for use when not near a tap - or when the grass is very wet.

mikebeaches - 2010-03-16 5:42 PM

Aldi have got a roll-flat 15-metre hose coming up on offer this Thursday 18 March - £9.95. Plan to buy one myself.

http://aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2827_13388.htm

Flat Garden Hose

£9. 99 each *

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOT Food Quality, but the Reel feature should be useful.

"Rolls up flat for easier, space-efficient storage.

Length: 15m (50')

Quick connectors and adaptors for 3/4'', 1/2'' and 5/8'' threaded taps)

9 function spray gun

ABS reel (squeezes water residue out after use)"

I hope it is not leading this post up a side track but the food quality issue is interesting. I tend to use an ordinary garden hose from home and a non-food quality flat roll up hose on the road. My non-scientific assumptiion is that so long as the water is not lying in the hose but simply passing through then food quality is not an issue. In any case all the water coming out of the on-board tank is used for washing or boiled when cooking. Certainly over umpteen years we have never suffered from poisoning.

Hi Naittaw

Food quality hose is traditional for us.

Probably due to influence of a previous job in the Food industry back in the 70's.

I have no scientic evidence, but I think "Garden" hose will be manufactured to considerably lower quality regarding leaching plasticisers.

Then again we are filling a plastic tank & like you only use the on-board water for washing, washing-up & the toilet.

Possibly others may be able to elaborate.

I hate flat hoses. They're fiddly and take ages to wind up properly - but I have one!

I'm a bit like Tracker (above) in that I have a shortish, solid plastic hose about 3 metres long. This is fine for nine out of ten fillings as I can usually drive alongside the tap.

If however I find that, for whatever reason, the tap is in the next County, I can then unwind my horrible flat hose and if necessary, couple it to my solid plastic one to give me a total length of several miles. I prefer the flat one as a second hose because it takes up so little space and as I don't use it often I can cope with aggravation.

Food quality hoses? Can't be bothered but I never use a hose without first flushing it through thoroughly.

We use a non food quality casette hose when on site or one of the yellow garden hoses at home. Never had a problem with water quality in 8 years and we drink the water from the tank.

The motorhome is used for about 180 nights a year tank is cleaned with puriclean once a year and is always left full of water.

Archived