Diesel & Petrol up Again

Hymer C 9.

Watching the news see that within the next two weeks fuel is going to be raising in price again, you can see the queue's at the stations all ready, is it worth filling up, and is it going to go up over the rest of Europe.

It won't make a difference to our trip this year but if it keeps on going up will have to be taken in to consideration. Of course it will have a knock on effect on prices of other things as well, when will it get better.

Fuel prices are no longer of any concern to me. On Sunday I was on the seafront at Brighton when I picked up a fallen glove and returned it to the woman who dropped it. I was assured that this was a sign of good luck.

I when for a spin today on the motorbike, again to Brighton, and while strolling along the front, I found a fiver!  I shall 'ride my luck' and buy five lottery tickets for wednesdays draw.

It's quite obviously ordained that I should scoop a substantial win, so I really can't be bothered about the price of fuel.

This year, to save a few shekkles after the purchase of my new van, we have decided to stay in the UK and do a tour of Scotland. However, when I looked at the mileage, I will be doing around the same as I would have done had I gone to France, as was the original plan. So although I may not be saving too much on Fuel, I won't have the return ferry fare or the frequent Tolls to shell out for. Now if only we could guarantee the weather there would be no requirement to cross the water at all :D

In 2008 we decide to stay in the UK as fuel prices were high, we spent 6 weeks, Staring in Suffolk and driving North taking in the coast all the way round Scotland and back down the West to Gloucestshire. In the end it would have been cheaper to have gone to France.

David

This appeared on Facebook yesterday - not sure how effective it would be - please don't shoot the messenger!

The price of oil is as low as it has been for a while, the oil companies have simply jacked their prices up and the government will not do anything as they rake in extra VAT for every increase.

See what you think and pass it on if you agree with it

We are hitting 114.9 a litre in some areas now, soon we will be faced with paying 1.50 a ltr. Philip Hollsworth offered this good idea:

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the 'don't buy petrol on a certain day campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to hurt ourselves by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT,whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work.

Please read it and join in!

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the market place not sellers. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not purchasing their Petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two biggest oil companies (which now are one), ESSO and BP.

If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact we need to reach literally millions of Esso and BP petrol buyers. It's really simple to do!!

Now, don't wimp out at this point... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to a lot of people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it... ..

THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all.(and not buy at ESSO/BP) How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt,all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8days!!! Acting together we can make a difference . If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on.

PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE 90p a LITRE RANGE

It's easy to make this happen. Just join this group and get all your FB friends to join or forward as an email to everyone in your address book, and buy your petrol at Shell, Asda,Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons Jet etc. i.e.. boycott BP and Esso

I'm not being dismissive here but this has been around for at least three or four years and it's never taken off.

The biggest problem with oil prices is the devaluation of Sterling. Oil is bought in dollars and two years ago the pound bought two dollars and now it only buys one and a half.

This coupled with the increase in fuel duty, on which the government gets more VAT, has pushed it up to its current price, even though crude is much lower than it was at the height of the crisis.

The oil companies are no angels but it's not entirely their fault.

So the next government will reduce the tax on fuel then?

What we need are a few more militant truckers - and we should join them.

But this lot passed legislation to outlaw the picketing of fuel depots.

I am amazed that the French have put up with it as their diesel proces are only a few weeks behind ours!

Which oil producing nation shall we pick on to have a go at then? Argentina?

The do need to - as I have said on another thread, the cost of fuel in the UK will have a knock on effect on wage demands and prices in the shops as we all have to travel to work and goods have to be transported to the shops.

This site gives a good comparison and yes France is not that far behind us - but a small compensation for them is that a couple of years ago the French abolished their Road Fund licence (they found it too costly to gather, administer and police) and added a tax levy onto fuel.

So their prices include the equivalent of our Road Tax.

Having an 80% tax on fuel is strangling the economy. Recovery will be compromised if fuel prices rise to the 135p to 140p a litre predicted. The knock on effects will be large - not least because the low paid will end up paying as much if not more in fuel duty as they do in income tax.

So bang goes the incentive for some to work if it costs you too much to get there.

CliveH - 2010-03-18 9:11 AM

This site gives a good comparison and yes France is not that far behind us - but a small compensation for them is that a couple of years ago the French abolished their Road Fund licence (they found it too costly to gather, administer and police) and added a tax levy onto fuel.

So their prices include the equivalent of our Road Tax.

Not quite accurate. The Road Fund Licence for the French is now included within the annual 'Habitation tax'. Those that do not own a vehicle have to claim back the money. The only reason I know this is that just recently we have been researching the possibility of retirement in France and doing a comparison of living costs.

Archived