bessacar e760 54 plate

mrs p hancox

hi everyone, we have seen recently a bessacar e760 at our local "knowledgable" dealer. When asked about payload, he scratched his head and said he had never been asked that one before, and was unsure what the payload on said van was! We hunted round and found under the bonnet, a plating stating 3850 underneath that 5500 underneath that 2 other figures that we cant remember indivually but totalled 3850. This is an alko chassis and the plate with the figures stated alko plate. Next to it fiat plate giving same details.. This would mean to me, maximum gross weight 5500 unladen 3850 giving a pay load of 1650 kg !!!!!!! Is this possible I dont think so myself, or can any one advise me

Guest Tracker

I think you may find that the 5500 refers to max 'train weight' and this means the combined weight of van and any trailer so the 1650 refers to the max weight of a trailer - I think!

The two smaller figures would be the two axle weights which together will usually add up to a bit more than 3850 so that an unevenly distibuted load can be accomodated within the total max vehicle weight of 3850.

Does that make sense - it does to me - but then I wrote it!

A bit of furtling around on the internet should come up with the payload - try googling 'Bessacarr e760 payload' or similar - or find a dealer with a similar van and ask him - although manufacturers figures can be unreliable!

You might try phoning Swift as they are reputedly very helpful?

The only sure way I know is to go to a weighbridge and weigh the van unladen and depending on what it says you should be able to determine whether the payload is sufficient to meet your needs - then load it fully including fuel, gas, water and all passengers and weigh it again to check.

hi and thanks did google on Sunday could not find a dam thing re payload, just done another one and hey presto!! payload is 520 which is not bad, also insulation is group 3 so again not bad. Will just have to rattle the wallet a bit harder to see if I can find enough now!!!

Guest Tracker

520kg sounds about right for an Alko chassisied van, if that is what it is, and you should find the ride much better than a standard chassis but a visit to a weighbride as part of your test drive would not be a bad idea if one is near enough.

However if you go away for long periods and take a lot of clobber with you 520kgs is very easy to use fully!

Weighbridge finder

http://www.chrishodgetrucks.co.uk/pageweighbridge/weighbridgeshome.htm

Looking at the Bessacarr website (for current 700 series models) will help to understand the Weight plate detail, see

http://www.swiftgroup.co.uk/motorhomes/bessacarr/e700/technical#outputcontrols

Although the E760 is no longer listed, the format reains the same.

So on the basis of a 3850 MAM vehicle, your 540kg payload appears to be in the right area. BUT note that the figure will be for the base Motorhome, before fitting any assessories, Awning, Bike Rack, etc., which will reduce the net payload.

Guest Tracker
A dodgy comparison Flika if I may say so as the van in question will be on the old model Ducato chassis unlike the new ones and there are almost certain to be chassis and or suspension differences.

Mrs P Hancox

My March 2005 copy of "Which Motorcaravan" magazine quotes the payload of a Bessacarr E760 as 600kg.

As flicka advises, this figure would have related to a basic specification E760 with no 'add-ons'. I would have expected the 600kg to have included allowances for a full-ish tank of diesel fuel and a (notionally 75kg) driver, with no allowances being made for fresh water or gas. A full fresh-water system + two 7kg Calor bottles would reduce the 600kg to around 450kg, which should still be adequate for a large 2-berth motorhome.

Apparently Which Motorcaravan published an E760 test-report in the February 2004 issue (which I don't have).

(I'm going to suggest you obtain John Wickersham's book "The Motorcaravan Manual". This explains basic (but vital) things like the meanings of the figures on an AL-KO data-plate, plus the essential servicing requirements for that type of chassis. It's a purchase you'll never regret making.)

many thanks for this, ironically Derek you have done work on this van as dealer allowed me a brief glance at the paperwork, and one of your invoices were in the file!! Did not get chance to read in depth, though. Has any one got this model, as would like to hear their comments of it.

Hi we has a E765P Nov 2003. Which is the same layout as yours except we had the overcab bed. Payload was given 500kgs. With all the storage it is easy to overload so be careful. We covered some 47000 miles in ours usually near the max gross weight or MAM as it is called. we averaged 23 mpg, had cruise control fitted and travelled around 55-60 mph. You should do slightly better as you will not have the large overcab bulge. Check the side skirts as they were prone to corroding. We found it to be a very comfortable van and used it for trips of up to ten weeks at a time, We liked the layout that much that we traded it in for a new one March 2008 still six berth, and have just ordered the new 765P in the low line layout as the highline is not made any longer. If you would like any further info pm me.

As the vehicle has an MAM of 3,850Kg do check that you driving licence/s permit you to drive a vehicle over 3,500Kg MAM. 

Also, be aware that if it's actual present unladen weight exceeds 3,050Kg (almost certain, it seems), you will be restricted to lower speed limits in UK, and as its MAM is greater than 3,500Kg, you will be restricted to lower speeds in most of Europe.

mrs p hancox - 2010-03-17 10:13 AM

...ironically Derek you have done work on this van as dealer allowed me a brief glance at the paperwork, and one of your invoices were in the file!!...

You are probably thinking of Dave Newell.

(If someone is issuing invoices under my name, I'd be interested to know who you are. I don't mind you doing it, but I'd like a percentage of the profits. ;-) )

Archived