Ford service intervals!!! Confused!!!!

Harvey08

Just been to collect our beautiful Nexxo Family A645 after the unfortunate problem with the power steering which Ford very helpfully sorted out. We decided to book the service ready for May. We have a 2.2 engine with 140PSI, according to the service manual and our enquiry last year at Ford service, we were advised 2 yearly servicing as under 30,000 miles. Now Ford are saying it is 15000 miles and 1 yearly servicing. Now we are totally confused as Ford are saying they don't make the 2.2, 140 PSI, and it must have been altered by the coachbuilder. Can anyone help us to unravel this mystery?

I know less than most people about engines but I always remember what my late father used to say, and he was an expert!

"Oil is an engine's blood, he would say, and you can't change it too often."

I always have any vehicle that I own serviced once a year as a minimum. I also believe that it makes it more saleable when the time comes to sell. I would be put off by a service book that only has a biennial stamp.

Thanks for the advice, wish we had thought to have asked other motorhome owners this time last year rather than going by the Ford service advice and manual. We did question but thought that the "experts" know best. We are new to motorhoming and love the activity and our van. We feel like we have neglected it. Everthing in the service book is really vague. Interested about the agents at Ford not knowing about our chassis though as he was really sure this evening that it didn't exist and that Burstner had used software to alter the PSI to 140.

The confusion may be due to the power output from your 2.2L which you say produces 140 bhp.

The 2 year 30,000 miles service is for the 140bhp BUT 2.4L engine, which I have in my motorhome Not the 2.2L 140 bhp engine.

Hope that helps.

Harvey08

Take a look at:

http://www.etis.ford.com/fordservice/serviceScheduleForm.do;jsessionid=5EC8DD10388FAD738AD4D5FE8DA75CB0.walv0673

Using this facility you can input your vehicle details and get the current servicing data.

The confusion, in your case has been caused by Ford changing the servicing requirements over time. You will need the build date of your Transit in order to get the right results and you can get that from:

http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do

Have fun :-)

Harvey08 - 2010-03-16 9:40 PM

...Interested about the agents at Ford not knowing about our chassis though as he was really sure this evening that it didn't exist and that Burstner had used software to alter the PSI to 140.

Your Ford agent is right (after a fashion) about your Burstner's chassis not existing...

The Transit chassis used for your Burstner is a FWD platform-cab design. This is essentially a panel-van with the roof, sides and back-doors surgically removed, leaving just the cab (with its top cut off) and a pressed steel rear 'floor-pan' on to which a coachbuilt motorhome body is grafted. (In fact, if you input details of your vehicle into Ford's ETIS website (see spospe's posting) I think you'll see it's described as a "van".)

As far as I'm aware Ford only makes the Transit platform-cab chassis available to motorcaravan manufacturers, and only Continental motorhome builders have ever used it. So it shouldn't be too surprising that UK Ford agents (who will probably have little in-depth knowledge of motorhomes) are bemused by your 'funny' chassis that doesn't appear anywhere in their UK Transit-related literature.

As far as your motor is concerned, the 140PS-output version of the 2.2litre engine became available fairly recently (18 month ago?) when a 6-speed gearbox was first offered for Transits with that capacity engine. Details of all current Transit power-trains are on:

http://www.ford.co.uk/Commercialvehicles/Transit/Powertrain

I can't advise on servicing requirements, but logically they should be whatever is specified for a UK-marketed panel-van with the same engine/wheelbase/MAM. Personally (like Gypsy Tom) I'd want a service carried out annually irrespective of the interval prescribed by the vehicle manufacturer.

The forum seems to have developed a new trick.  I posted a reply to this last night, "pressed" Submit, and it disappeared, so now you can have either a BOGOF post (Buy-One-Get-One-Free), a post, or no post.  Good, innit?  :-)

However, whinging apart, what I posted was this on service intervals from our Ford "Service Portfolio".

"Transit (Diesel 140PS): "Variable" service interval up to 2 years/50,000km/30,000 miles (based on oil level/oil temperature sensor)".  It's on page 24.

The owner's handbook shows, on p55, a Service interval indicator (a spanner symbol) which it says will come up "when a service is due or when there is excessive soot or sludge in the oil".

So, it seems that, unless you exceed 30,000 miles in two years - in which case the indicator will come on at or around the 30,000 miles - the indicator should come on at or around 2 years, unless the oil is excessively sooty or sludgy!  Simples, no? 

It's worth checking this against your handbook etc, though, as there is no indication whether the 140PS engine referred to is the 2.2 litre or the 2.4 litre version.  In view of the date of the handbook, (2006) and Service Portfolio (2007), I'm a little inclined to think it may be aimed at the 2.4 RWD version.  I'd still get it changed every year, though!  :-)

I agree gypsy tom i have a yearly service and a extra oil change and filter in between which i do myself .I average about 6k a year .Last year i bought my oil (valvoline semi synthetic ford spescification) f.rom morrisons super market £16 -5 LITRES. I intend to keep my van long term so ithink it's worth paying out for the extra oil changes.

baz

Just managed to speak to Ford representative. Say that they were originally put on a two year service, but found problems with the 2.4.engines - so have now reverted to a yearly 15000 service!!!! Good of them to let us know - mixed messages. We will follow your advice in future we too believe in yearly services as we want to keep our van, we love the travelling and as we go mainly to France, we want to make sure he gets us there!!!!

Archived