Propane gas

insignia

Propane gas  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Stand the bottle on your scales, some where on the bottle is its empty weight, so a quick calculation will tell your how much gas is left. If some one in the family has very sensitive hands they can feel where the liquid gas level is by the coldness, my 20 year old grandson can do it.

Change to BP Gaslight bottles and you can see the liquid level.

or

Change to Gaslow and you can see the level on the gague once its below half full. Then top it up at the garge.

or

weigh the bottle as first advised.

or

Fit a bulk PLG tank which will have a gague. Then top it up at the garge.

I think thats the lot!

C.

Assuming that the bottle is Calor, the tare (empty) weight of the bottle is stamped on the aluminium collar.

Just to make things interesting, however, though the contents are sold in kg, the tare weight is in pounds and ounces (two two-digit numbers next to each other on the collar).

So, you can weigh the bottle and subtract the tare weight to ascertain the weight of the contents, but you'll need to do some conversion from metric to imperial weights, or vice versa.

Guest Tracker
jhorsf - 2010-03-18 8:39 PM

the new bottles with gauge are called calorlight and cost slightly more than the heavier old steel ones

http://www.caravanning-online.co.uk/CalorLite/index.htm

And they only register contents when less than half full - how handy is that?

My experience of gaslow guages is that they are not that accurate but they do tell you when the bottle is empty!

We take two full bottles on long trips and use up the odds and ends from the third bottle on weekend trips - but that assumes the luxury of three bottles - which is cheaper than a guage!

I use some luggage scales, I can even weigh the bottle in the gas locker (not really accurate) but a rough indication of how much gas I have left. Weighed it when full in situ so I can estimate within a kilo (2 litres) if I need to refill.

Tracker - 2010-03-18 8:50 PM

jhorsf - 2010-03-18 8:39 PM

the new bottles with gauge are called calorlight and cost slightly more than the heavier old steel ones

http://www.caravanning-online.co.uk/CalorLite/index.htm

And they only register contents when less than half full - how handy is that?

My experience of gaslow guages is that they are not that accurate but they do tell you when the bottle is empty!

We take two full bottles on long trips and use up the odds and ends from the third bottle on weekend trips - but that assumes the luxury of three bottles - which is cheaper than a guage!

??????????????????????????

Gas Trac®

Gas Trac gaugeFor caravanners, running out of gas can be a real problem. But with the Gas Trac® indicator on the new Calor LiteTM cylinder, there is no excuse for running out again.

Recent users of Calor Patio Gas cylinders will be familiar with the Gas Trac®, which works much like the petrol gauge on a car. The indicator shows ‘hi’ when the gas cylinder is more than half full and moves to ‘lo’ when you’re running low on gas. This means you can plan ahead and purchase a gas refill in good time - allowing you to keep on caravanning with minimum distraction.

The Gas Trac® indicator is an integral part of the new cylinder and cannot be bought separately and fitted to older cylinders.

If you have a query about the Gas Trac®, don't hesitate to contact us.

These are some earlier threads on the subject:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=8151&start=1

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=9594&posts=27

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=8233&posts=14

No non-electronic 'add-on' device will be genuinely practicable if the objective is to measure accurately the contents of a metal exchange-only gas-bottle fixed in-situ within a motorhome's gas-locker.

Pressure gauges (like the Gaslow products) are handy for gas-system leak testing, but useless for measuring partially full bottles (which is what people normally want to do).

I'm doubtful that bottles with integrated gauges using a swinging-float mechanical arrangement (Gaslow refillables, Calor Lite, Stako) can provide accurate readings across the complete full-to-empty range.

Translucent bottles (which, in the UK, means BP's "Gas Light" containers) provide accurate visual proof of what's inside - though a strong torch may be needed to obtain the reading.

Otherwise, there is a more recent alternative to Truma's electronic Sonatic system that should be able to provide accurate contents readouts for metal bottles - however, it ain't cheap. See:

http://www.vanmeenen.com/LPG-autogas-Vlaanderen/lpg-camper-motorhomes/alu/gas-level-indicators.pdf

Derek Uzzell - 2010-03-19 8:05 AM

Otherwise, there is a more recent alternative to Truma's electronic Sonatic system that should be able to provide accurate contents readouts for metal bottles - however, it ain't cheap. See:

http://www.vanmeenen.com/LPG-autogas-Vlaanderen/lpg-camper-motorhomes/alu/gas-level-indicators.pdf

NEW PRODUCT: GAS LEVEL INDICATOR FOR ON BOTTLES

Gas level indicator - direct on bottle

Product No.: 265231100

Gross sales price excluding VAT: 139,52 euro

At that price I think I can put up with the inconvienence of a Gas bottle running out & having to change over.

Even if the Fridge is on gas which runs out overnight, I think it should still retain sufficient low temperature until I switch bottles inthe morning 8-)

You may find it easier to fit an auto-changeover valve, so that when the "duty" cylinder runs out the "standby" cylinder is automatically selected.  At least, that is what we do. 

This may be a bit more "iffy" with smaller cylinders: ours are 13Kg and each lasts us around three months.  The changeover valve will indicate when it has switched, so all you would need to do is have an occasional look inside the locker, to view its state.  You can then swap the empty cylinder as and when.  In essence, there is little risk of running out totally unless you use huge volumes of gas; for example staying on aires, without hook up, for winter skiing.  That apart, you should have weeks of grace.

I use 15kg Calor bottles and I have always found that a full bottle weighs, as near as makes no difference, 30 kg. Before each holiday I weigh the bottle, subtract 15 and have a good indication of how much is left.

Depending how long I will be away, usually two months, and the likely usage of gas v electricity, I decide if I should replace or not.

Phil.

The Caravan Club's "Site Directory and Handbook" contains (page 630 in 2009/2010 issue) a listing of gas-cylinder weights. (A full Calor 15kg-capacity cylinder is said to weigh 30.7kg.) There's a similar listing in the informative 4-page "It's a Gas" article beginning on Page 181 of MMM December 2009.

• 4 months later...
Derek Uzzell - 2010-03-20 8:00 AM

The Caravan Club's "Site Directory and Handbook" contains (page 630 in 2009/2010 issue) a listing of gas-cylinder weights. (A full Calor 15kg-capacity cylinder is said to weigh 30.7kg.) There's a similar listing in the informative 4-page "It's a Gas" article beginning on Page 181 of MMM December 2009.

Thanks for that one Derek, saved me an age going through all the posts. (Search is working today)

Stuart

Derek Uzzell - 2010-03-19 8:05 AM

I'm doubtful that bottles with integrated gauges using a swinging-float mechanical arrangement (Gaslow refillables, Calor Lite, Stako) can provide accurate readings across the complete full-to-empty range.

The gauges on the Stako bottles are excellent both my bottles give good results over the full range of the cylinder from full to empty, a bit akward to read as they are flat on the top of the cyclinder and you need to use a mirror.

By accident the MH we had before, and the one we have now, both have sufficient space in the gas locker for 2 of the 13kg orange propane bottles (we're in Spain).

So we just run one till empty, swop to the other, and exchange the first for a new full one next time we are passing a Repsol garage.

I'm surprised that there seem to be loads of UK MH's where there's only room for one tiddly little gas bottle in the gas locker.

Seems really daft to me, especially as surely in the UK you'll be using a lot more gas per night away (heating as well as cooking as well as hot water)?

Having said that, I guess there's far less wild-camping going on in the UK, so maybe most people spand almost all their time away on EHU.

Over here we do loads and loads of wildcamping, so self-sufficiency in water, battery power, and gas matters.

We have one large Gaslow bottle ... as we can only fit one blooming gas cylinder in the locker!!!!! :-S When the dial goes into the red, we top it up, it just means we need to check it more often than those who have a double cylinder set up.

Our Gaslow cylinder consumption will be lower than it was though as we've now bought a BBQ grill that works off the small aerosol type gas cannisters (B&Q were doing a pack of 4 cannisters for less than £4!), and fortunately there is room to keep a few of these in the locker so, as we also have a small gas hob that works of these cannisters too, we can cook outside if we want to and have emergency cooking facilities if the need arises - can't do without my cup of tea! :D

Archived