Engine change 2.5D for 2.5TD

hotrod 49

Hi all,

I would like to swap my 2.5D for the better 2.5TD to get the extra power up hills. I live in the north east area And wonder who would be best to do it without going bust paying hourly rates. the base is Talbot express,same as fiat engine.I know Delfins down south do them but thats to far.

Hope someone can help.

Rod

Your cheapest bet would be to find a second hand engine with the turbo etc., You might even be able to test the vehicle that its coming out of, or at least hear it running. Then find someone to swap over.

Noticed someone selling a turbo engine on E-Bay the other week, was still fitted in a Talbot sleeper high top at time.

Your talking £2000 either way by going to a converter as its not just the head you replace but the pistons and camshaft as well.

Good Luck,

Gordon...

hotrod 49 - 2010-03-18 8:37 PM

...Talbot express,same as fiat engine...

Are you sure that's the case?

I've got a 1996 Which Motorcaravan head-to-head test report of a Fiat 2.5TD-engined Hymer versus a Peugeot 2.5TD-engined Pilote and the stated specification for the two motors indicates they are quite different.

If the WM information is correct and your motorhome currently has a Talbot/Peugeot motor in it, you may have a helluva job fitting the Fiat power-plant.

Frankly, if I were a garage, I wouldn't touch this sort of transplant task with a barge-pole unless the customer gave me a blank cheque, as there are so many things to go wrong. As long as your present non-turbo motor is running OK, you'd be wise to live with its performance limitations and keep your cash in your wallet. If your current motor is on its last legs, well that's another matter.

Hello,

Derek is quite right; until about 2000 when Fiat finally allowed the PSA twins access to the 2.8 Sofim engine PSA had used their own 2.5 engine which was totally different to the Fiat 2.5, which was basically just bored out to make the 2.8

There is no reason why you could not swap the complete lump including gearbox but you won't have any joy with trying to turn a Talbot 2.5D into a Fiat 2.5TD by just swapping parts.

The engine mounts are different as well but the wiring loom should be about there with a few minor connector mods i would guess. Even the drive-shafts will be different so I would look for a complete engine/box/shafts and brakes deal, but i can't remember how different the suspension legs are. Not that easy. Pay £2000 and let someone else worry about it!

NIck

Guest Tracker

Can you not simply fit a turbo to it?

Isn't that what the late lamented TB Turbos of Lancaster used to do - along with a few other suitable mods?

Tracker - 2010-03-19 11:20 AM

Can you not simply fit a turbo to it?

Isn't that what the late lamented TB Turbos of Lancaster used to do - along with a few other suitable mods?

That is certainly the route I would take. Although TB Turbo have ceased trading their old workshop forman is still doing the same work on the same industrial site (Lune) just down the road. His website is

http://www.candmauto.co.uk/

he has said that he can do all the work that TB did and I would recomend him, he did ours when he was at TB. Despite talk of having to change head and pistons in the case of the PSA engine this definately NOT the case as it is the same 2.5 engine but with a different cam and slightly lower compression ratio, made possible by the use of a different head gasket.

The cost at the end of the day will not be substantially different whichever of the two routes you take but if it were me and I was happy with the engine I had, but for the power output, then I would improve that rather than buying a second hand unknown quantity.

Bas

Archived