Electric Window - Fiat Ducato 2.8

Arthur Brown

Hi

I am hoping that someone has had the same problem. The drivers door window has stopped working. When the switch is operated a relay click can be heard within the door but the window remains static. I have checked the fuse indicated in the book and it is intact. The passenger window still operates normally. Vehicle is a Fiat Ducato 2.8 on a 54 plate. :-(

Hello,

This was a very common problem on 2002 and 2003 build vans but less so after that because the window regulator was modified.

A sharp 'tap' will sometimes help, but the problem is that corrosion gets into the sliding links and the motor just cannot overcome it, so it gives up trying. You need a new one.

The part that you need is about £150 from Fiat where they also curiously offer a reconditioned item for about £75! You will probably get a new one if you order the re-con because that is what Fiat normally do. The Fiat prices I provide are always just a guide as they change frequently and remember they are without Vat.

Euro Car Parts also keep them for about £90 inc Vat.

Nick

Many thanks guys. I have tapped it better than gently and that didn't work. I have had a look behind the panel but nothing I was able to do would make it work. Seems I have to bite the bullet and see if I can reach the bottom of my pockets. One of the problems of short arms and deep pockets!! Are the recon motors obtainable at local dealers or have they to be ordered direct from Fiat?

Thanks again.

• 6 months later...

Hi

eventually took the whole thing apart. Found that the brass bush had effectively ceased due to crap in the system. Cleaned out the rubbish, reamed the brass bush and made sure that the spindle was ok then re-assembled. Motor worked fine. The next problem was to re-assemble the wire mechanism. Not an easy talk but eventually managed to do it. Window now working fine. Many thanks for the information provided.

Art

Archived