Satellite Dish or Dome?

AnnPaul

The Road Pro catalogue, and their website, has some excellent guidance.  They claim to have tested their kit all over Europe, and to only sell what they know works.  If nothing else, it is a very good starting point.

IMO, there is an inherent problem with all the van mounted dishes in hotter areas.  One tends to shove the van into the shade to avoid the worst of the solar gains and, since the shade comes mainly from trees, those nice shade giving trees prevent the dish from seeing the satellites.  So you have two simple choices: roast, or no telly!  :-) 

The more complicated choice is a free standing dish, but you then have to filly around setting it up, and you have to carry it, plus its tripod stand, and they are not compact items.  Oh yes, and you then have to chain it to something, in case someone nicks it!  :-D  Having watched numerous folk, from various countries, spending inordinate amounts of time trying to get connected, I have reached the conclusion - most TV being totally mindless crap - that it easier to use WiFi, and get any important news off the BBC website that way!

I'll get my own coat!  :-D

I have had a Camos 40 cm dome for two years now and found it extremely good. It has always locked on to the satellite before I even turn the engine off. This applies to the south of France and a site in Spain (next door to Aquarius) even when sited under trees in the shade. It is not the trees over the m/home which stop the signal but the branches inside the angle to the satellite. Sometimes you may need to move the vehicle a few inches to capture the picture.

We live on Costa Blanca and for years we are only able to receive all UK channels 24 hours with a massive 2.4 metre dish. Things are changing though and recently ITV has moved from Astra 2 and can be viewed on a 80cm dish by creating an entry in add channels on sky box. While C4 is difficult it is easy via C4+1 just an hour later.

I understand the reason for moving from Astra 2 is to free up space for HD channels. Therefore in time most UK channels may be able to be viewed in Spain on much smaller dishes. Anything less than 2.4 is small to me. We have friends in Castellon 2 hours north that currently use 90cm dish and receive everything so it is not just a matter of going south but more to do with the wretched footprint.

There are several websites that guide you what is needed all over Europe.

Things are changing though and recently ITV has moved from Astra 2 and can be viewed on a 80cm dish by creating an entry in add channels on sky box.

All the UK channels broadcast on Astra2 satellites. 2d (UK footpint), 2a and 2b (Europe footprint).

There have been six ITV1 sub regions on Astra 2b north for a few years, available with a smaller dish over Europe.

Recently two more sub regions and one of the four ITV1 HD regions moved to 2b south, which can be picked up with a Lidl camping dish over Spain.

All the Fives are also on 2a south.

C4HD and Five HD (starting next week) are also on 2a south and 2b south respectively.

C4, E4, More4 and E4+1 are avaialble on 2a north.

All of the above are available on a Sky box with a viewing card - no subscription needed.

BBC channels are all on 2d, the hard to get satellite, but their red button services are on 2b south, which can be acessed throughout Europe via BBC News and BBC Parliament, which are also on Astra 2b south.

We also have a 40cm Camos dome, and it does take the height to just over the 3meter, but have not found it a problem. Currently in Spain, returning from Portugal , and have not had problems getting something to view, No not ITV or BBC soaps , but still lots of programs to view, and we have not missed the FI races or The football, (bad as it was!)

PJay

Archived