This shouldn't interest anybody here.

W3526602

Hi,

Just out of curiosity, I phoned my insurers......

"Does an expired tax disc void my insurance?"

They had to refer it to their Technical Support Team, but eventually came back to say it DOES NOT void your insurance, but a conviction may affect your premium. Also, other insurers may have a different policy.

All this followed a mail on another site, from somebody who had pushed his insured, but untaxed/unMOT'd car out of his garden onto the road. Police arrived, declared the car to be uninsured. Bloke was fined several hundred pounds and disqualified for 12 months. I wonder who he upset?

I think the issue is the diference between a non-taxed vehicle and one that has been SORN'd.

It takes about 5 min to SORN a vehicle online via the DVLA website. Excellent service.

I have a vehicle that we are restoring and that is SORN'd. I know that this vehicle is insured for the use we make of it offroad.

Not surprised someone putting an untaxed car without an MOT on the highway would get the attention of the police.

Guest Tracker

I seem to recall an incident many years ago with the Pru when one of my customers had an accident whilst driving an untaxed and unMOT'd but theoretically insured car.

The Police were involved and he got 'done' in a fitting manner and as far as I can recall the Pru paid out for third party damage but declined to pay for the insureds own AD.

But I never did find out whatv the true legal position was - all I know is that it ain't worth the risk!

I'm sorry but I just don't (and cannot) believe that this person got fined several hundred pounds and lost his licence for 12 months just for pushing an untaxed and non MOTd vehicle onto the public highway for a brief period. At the very least he must have been very difficult with the police officer in question. there must be more to the back story.

In edit, to answer the question, no, not being taxed or having MOT should not void insurance but its probably best to inform the insurance company that the vehicle is under SORN and not taxed, if nothing else the insurance should be downgraded to fire and theft as there is obviously no road risk involved.

D.

Hi Dave - We have a 200tdi discovery that I intend some day to re body with a Series 2 or 3 and this is currently used off road on private land as a vehicle to transport feedstuffs, hay. straw etc.

So it is SORN'd and insured for road use as there are many other vehicles that use this private road.

It is a special policy via Adrian Flux but easy to set up, cheap and available for periods of less than a year if you want.

At the very least he must have been very difficult with the police officer in question. there must be more to the back story.

Hi D,

See my final sentence - ie "I wonder who he upset?"

In a similar vein, how did somebody appear in court for displaying the Lion of Scotland on the side of his car? Turns out there is only one penalty - death by beheading. So they fined him five shillings (it was a long time ago).

It just doesn't pay to upset the PC or the Beaks.

Archived