Waste water tank chemicals

Sssnake

I apologise for this 'beginners' question.

On our last trip of the year in Sept 2009, we experienced a thoroughly unpleasant smell in the van. Flushing the water system and tanks through got rid of it and from reading lots of forums and literature I understand that some sort of chemical treatment for the waste water tank is advisable.

I'd be really grateful for some brand / specific recommendations because the choice available is bewildering OR are they all pretty much of a muchness?

Using the search facility on here will throw up loads of responses on this subject - if you can get it to work.

My advice based on my own experiences is to avoid putting anything down your sink that will produce nasty smells, i.e. wipe off grease from pans etc.

I've read on here that a couple of bottles of cheap coke swilling around whilst you go for a run in the van helps.

Martyn

Sssnake - 2010-03-21 8:18 PM

Excellent thanks. I had indeed been trying the search option for several days but the search facility just wouldn't work. Happy days now though, thank you again.

These are a couple of Search-related threads that might help:

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=17065&posts=4

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=18952&posts=21

Alright Derek - time to spill the beans - how do YOU get the search facility to work so much!!!!!!

What are you bribing it with?

:D

Or do you know how to tickle it's fancy by drawing on your great wealth of experience and knowlegde that us mere-mortals don't have???

:$

Mel B - 2010-03-22 6:26 PM

...Or do you know how to tickle it's fancy by drawing on your great wealth of experience and knowlegde that us mere-mortals don't have???

:$

Regular use of data-retrieval software across 26 years undoubtedly helps.

In this instance lennyhb's mention of Thetford's "Freshener" triggered my memory and I just searched the forum setting Keywords/Filter by author/Date limit to (respectively) freshener/Derek Uzzell/All posts. This retrieved 2 earlier threads and I provided a link to the most recent. Using "pong" or "waste tank" instead of "freshener" will pick up more stuff, though not necessarily material relevant to Sssnake's inquiry.

The challenge is to guess successfully at the keyword(s) that were used in the past and which 'author' might have contributed to the thread in which the keyword(s) occurred. I normally set myself as author to begin with simply because, if I remember something coming up before, it's probably because I involved myself at the time.

As I've said previously, if a general search is required right back to 2005, then it's essential to use an 'author' and an appropriate 'keyword'. It's a complete waste of time telling a forum member asking a question that searching the forum will provide earlier information without telling them exactly how to carry out the search.

(If you want to experiment with the search, try insurance/Mel B/All posts or Derek/Mel B/All posts - sometimes it's quite interesting what turns up.)

Hi Sssnake

Apart from the advice given of not putting grease into the tank in the first place, and giving it a good swill out every now and again, we always travel with all the sink plugs in place (shower, wash hand basin, sink, etc). We found on our early trips, if we didn't do this and we opened a window, it seemed to draw the bad smells out of the tank. Hope this is of some use.

Alan

Thank you all for your advice. At the moment I'm going to save money, not buy chemicals and opt for the other suggestions which appear logical and worked for us in the past - although I used a lot of water to flush the tank through (thankfully we're not on a water heater).

Great peeps on here.

I use a tip i was given ,you fill the sink with very hot water then while pulling the plug you add a small bag of table salt just before you go out or home in the motorhome.so when you are drving the salty water swishes around in the tank ,leave over night then empty you will be surprised what come out of the waste tap.

• 2 weeks later...

Usually the tank smells find their way in to the 'van via the un trapped drains , hence the advice to run with the plugs in. Fitting water trap (minature caravan types are available) or rerouting the drain pipes to provide a trap can also be effective.

On my 'van the lenthy drain runs to the grey tank wander up and down giving effective water traps and smells are never a problem (allegedly).

The water in the tank certainly pongs well for the first few seconds of emptying but only outside.

• 4 weeks later...
Years ago I had the same problem but took the same precautions as suggested above i.e. Thetfords Tank Cleaner (tried several others and this is undoubtedly the best - bought mine several years ago and still got loads left so well worth the outlay), had "U" (or is it "S"?) bend fitted below the sink, never put grease down (never do in any drain system anyway) nor bits of food so I have a small gadget which sits in the drain hole (amazing how many bits it catches despite clearing plates etc. before washing them). So I don't now need to put the plug in while travelling. Finally, when on site I open the outside drain over a Fiamma waste tank so there are no nasty smells when I empty and I don't have to move the m/home either!

I`m not 100% certain but my thinking is that if there are baffles inside the water tanks,same sort of thing as in a petrol tank to stop the mass volume of fluid sloshing from one side to the other then your never going to empty the tanks completely,i dont know if i`m doing right but after emptying the waste water tanks at the site before leaving i leave the drain tap open to get rid of any residue in the tank,quite suprising how much comes out !!!! and the once home close the tap and pour tank freshener in for the next trip.

Archived