Dogs to Italy.

peterjl

OOPS - try again.

We have regularly taken our dog to France, spain, and even dolomites in N italy, but now intending to travel down south.

I know that italy only recognises Rabies jabs for a year and that is sorted as she was due a top up later this year anyway - BUT some of the campsites talk about seeing "vaccination papers" and the Italian Tourist board website mentions a "Cerificate" (which lasts for 30 days) to say dog is fit and well and that vet certs can be obtained from the diplomatic or consular offices.

My questions are:-

what is other peoples experience - do the camp sites just accept the Pet Passport or do they ask for this "Certificate" which only lasts for 30 days!

Also what is peoples experience of taking dogs further south?

Many thanks

Peter

No dog, so no direct experience, but I do know Italy has pine processional caterpillars, which can attract dogs with lethal results.

If you see a longish caravan of orangey, slightly hairy, caterpillars, all nose to tail, wigging across the ground do not touch them, and absolutely do not allow dogs to go near them.  The hairs, which are barbed, contain a powerful toxin that can cause anaphylaxis in dogs and cats, and a painful rash that can last up to three weeks in humans.

The caterpillars are active in spring, often in evenings, when they migrate between the pine trees in which they live and feed.

Hi Peter

We travelled from the alps to venice then down the adriatic side,Ravenna, Rimini,Ancona, Pescara and as far as Termoli, then headed across to Pompei and back up med side, Cassino, Rome, Pisa, Genoa and into France. we stayed at "Aires" and campsites and a little wild camping.

We were never asked for any documentation for the dog although we had his pet passport. We went in July August and it was very hot, the motorhome had both roof and cab air which the dog really appreciated. We did not have any probs although in Pompei there were lots of dogs roaming about, apparently when going on holiday some Italians leave thier dogs to fend for themselves. B-)

Which reminds me, Pompeii has an acknowledged problem with feral dogs.  So, if your dog is a bitch, and she is in season, and you go to Pompeii, whatever you do don't leave her on her leash in the nice cool shade under your van!  Someone did this near us on a site in Pompeii, left her a bowl of water, and then went out to explore the ruins.  I swear the entire male canine population of Pompeii visited her during that afternoon, and they drank all her water as they left, after having their doggy way with her!  If they could have left whistling God save the Queen, they would have!  As it was, they all had ear to ear grins.  :-)

Hi

Thank you for that info.

Will keep my eye out for the caterpillars - early/mid April is really the end of their season but with the odd weather this year i am very aware that they may hang on later.

Paul - your trip sounds similar to my plans so its good to know about the sites. In hot countries we tend to park in shade and leave dog in the motorhome where she remains nice and cool - i just walk her in morning and evening away from the heat of the day (the heat is not good for a black dog).

I was aware of the feral dog issue - i beleive the police are a little hot on rules round dogs at the moment following a couple of incidents in Scilly where a 10 year old was killed and a 28 yr old woman tourist was seriously injured by a pack of 8 feral dogs.

Many thanks

Peter

Archived