Motorhome locker security

Mel B

Thinking about stuff for our new 'van and I'm looking at getting some security fixings for the 2 large 'garage' doors. We currently have a couple of Fiamma safe doors on them (1st picture) but they aren't cheap, especially when you have to buy the spacers for them too, making them at least £40 each! On my 'browing' ebay I spotted some alternatives by Milenco (2nd picture) which work by sliding rather than twisting. Whilst the Fiamma ones are okay, the finish on one of them has started to deteriorate so I'm not overly impressed so might give the Milenco ones a go instead especially since I could get a 'keyed' Milenco triple pack for the same price as two Fiamma ones (so I'd have a spare if I needed it!).

Has anyone any experience of the Milenco ones? Or are there other makes out there too?

1636469529_FiammaSafeDoor.jpg.7433a3942f97dde9c602a92bd940ffe3.jpg

Milenco.jpg.22efc09157b88d1bdf68a7f687e1b4cd.jpg

Mel B - 2010-03-22 7:47 PM

Thinking about stuff for our new 'van and I'm looking at getting some security fixings for the 2 large 'garage' doors. We currently have a couple of Fiamma safe doors on them (1st picture) but they aren't cheap, especially when you have to buy the spacers for them too, making them at least £40 each! On my 'browing' ebay I spotted some alternatives by Milenco (2nd picture) which work by sliding rather than twisting. Whilst the Fiamma ones are okay, the finish on one of them has started to deteriorate so I'm not overly impressed so might give the Milenco ones a go instead especially since I could get a 'keyed' Milenco triple pack for the same price as two Fiamma ones (so I'd have a spare if I needed it!).

Has anyone any experience of the Milenco ones? Or are there other makes out there too?

Hi Mel

I fitted a Milenco lock to my habitation door as I could not get a Fiamma one to fit due to a very narrow inner door jam, I think they are an exellent bit of kit.

Terry

Hi Mel

Have you considered the Heosafe deadlocks? I have just fitted two, one on the habitation door (recess already there on a Hymer) and one on the side underbed locker.

The advantage of this type IMHO is that:

1. The mechanism is not exposed and not susceptable to levering open with a screwdriver etc as are the Fiamma and Milenco ones.

2.The locks are proper cylinder locks and available with a matched key set.

3.The locks dead lock (two key turns)

4.The only part showing is a flat white plate with the cylinder lock mounted in it.

Cost about £40.00 each or a set of three £120.00

If you want to see a photo of the one fitted to the locker door I can post one on here

Heosafe.jpg.9ccdd86806bf84fdc1eaafcb23a19ff8.jpg

Hi Mel

Both our vans had/have the Alarm contacts on

external lockers (for previous Bessacarr)

Garage doors for Autocruise (as Habitation Door).

Or are you looking at extra security ?

Looking at the Milenco style, I think they may depend on which way your Garage doors open, as there may not be sufficient fixing point beyond the doors.

Hi Mel - Photo as requested.

1. Interior of locker door in raised & open position - note packing plates between lock and door (12 supplied) - and length of bolt (compared to origional lock) in deadlock position which fits well behind the door frame.

2. Exterior of Locker - Lock plate has been sprayed grey to match bodywork

3. Interior Habitation Door - The door on my van is moulded to receive this lock - not all are.

4. Exterior Habitation Door - Note swivelling lock cover

LockerDoorInterior.jpg.0eb1824392a07e68f71b1f01b8612648.jpg

LockerDoorExterior.jpg.5e58aee64ae0e7d92980cd1859d67bf4.jpg

HabitationDoorInterior.jpg.ae9ab10ab723c4b28aa56dfd3662c268.jpg

HabitationDoorExterior.jpg.b71f0c4ac1b9610fecf9ff4b886d6904.jpg

Quite like the look of those hosafe locks just not too happy about me drilling holes in the van!!!

Maybe a daft question but do they come with a template for acurate drilling of holes and full fitting insructions??

Has anyone ever thought about using a yale lock type of thing??

You can buy 3 Safe Doors from Agent Fiamma for less than £100, which makes them a bit cheaper.

I've got a set, one on an external locker and two on the entrance door.

The best bit is that you only need one key for them all - saves wear and tear on the pocket :-S

Haven't been burgled yet, but Johnny Thief would probably rather use the windows with their disposable plastic handles... :-(

I fitted Milenco additional lock (the sliding one, as in Mels picture) to the exterior of the habitation door on our MH last year; having previously fitted a Fiamma rotating one to the exterior of the driver door.

Got it off ebay.

Very pleased with it indeed.

It's sliding action is better than the rotation of the Fiamma ones; and it feels more robust too...albeit that it is still made of aluminium so is never goona defeat a pro-scumbag with a jemmy bar (but then nothing really will do that on a MH)

If I recall, it was also cheaper too.

JohnP - 2010-03-24 5:06 PM

Hi Gadjo

The Heosafe locks come with full instructions and drilling centre measurements, but no template.

John

Could you say where you obtained your HeoSafe locks from, please?

(For installation instructions (albeit in French) see the following link.)

http://heosolution.de/heosafe.php?lang=FR&subcat=46

These locks are similar in principle to the D-Lox products that were marketed in the UK some years ago. They are a much neater solution to providing extra security for motorhome doors than the Fiamma/Milenco external 'covers' and, if fitted correctly, should be more resistant to attempted break-in. It should be easy enough for the average DIY-er to fit them to locker doors, though adding one to a modern entrance door with a moulded interior panel is likely to be trickier.

Derek

I bought a box of three with the same keyway from Brownhills (Newark) for about £109 last July.

My reason for going down this road was provision is made for them on the habitation door of my van (See photo above) and the others fit the lockers.

I basically followed the instructions regarding making four holes, one for each mounting screw. The instructions then say remove the material from between the four holes to allow the lock cylinder to pass through the door.

I did not do this but used a hole-saw to remove just suffiecient material for the cylinder. Felt it gave a neater and stronger fit.

If you consider painting the exterior plate to match the bodywork the cylinder can be removed (two screws) to enable the plate to be sprayed with no masking necessary.

Archived