Austria Go Box

quarryjmiller

I am trying to deal with the thorny subject of vehicle weights here, I run a Lunar Premier H622 on a Renault Master chassis MAM is 3,500kg, MiRO is 2895kg.

I have a satellite dome and a towbar fitted, have not had it weighed yet but would guess 50kg or so there.

I am planning to tow a Benderrup 1205s trailer with extension sides, spare wheel and a plastic hardtop, this is an unbraked trailer with a GVW of 750kg, the trailer unloaded weighs 174kg, I plan to load it with an item which weighs 46kg giving me a total trailer weight of 220kg.

There will be 2 of us in the vehicle and all of the other bits and pieces and I would guess that we will be getting close to 3,500kg without the trailer.

My question is - how are the requirements for a Go Box calculated, I am assuming that my GVW (trailer and motorhome combined) will be 3,500kg and as such a Go Box (rather than a Vignette) will be required but to be frank, I don't know enough about vehicle weights to be sure.

It is odd to see so many foreign trucks driving all over this country paying no road charges whilst we are saddled with a bewildering set of uneven and incomparable road charging systems throughout Europe, so much for the EU - they can comment on how straight your sausage should be but they are utterly useless when it comes to having a uniform approach to the transport network, sorry for the rant.

Hi, I suggest a quick visit to your nearest weighbridge with the combination as fully loaded as you expect, and get a certificate from them ,

At least then you can prove over or under as appropriate. Cost at my local scrap merchant was £5 (back pocket banking)

tonyg3nwl

I think you're labouring under a misapprehension here.

AFAIK, you should be lucky and get away with a Vignette, not a Go-Box.

The combined weight of the trailer and the 'van is not the GVW, it is the GTW (Gross Train Weight).

For all intents and purposes, for the tolling regulations the GVW can be considered the same as your MAM (i.e. 3500kg), which puts you in the vignette category, not the Go-Box nightmare.

Admittedly, I have never towed a trailer in Austria, so I had to double-check the regulations (to confirm the toll category is based on GVW, not GTW). All the info is at www.vignette.at - and you can select English as the 'sprache' on the first page.

The pictograms on the tolling pages are not over-helpful as to whether GVW or GTW applies, but the background documents (in English) are, and they all refer to GVW, and also confirm that there is no toll for the trailer.

Extract

"Tolling Regulations Part A I applies to all vehicles with a maximum gross vehicle weight of up to 3.5 t. These vehicles are liable for a time-related toll (toll sticker or 'vignette'). Unless expressly indicated otherwise, all references to individual sections contained in Part A I of the Tolling Regulations relate specifically to sections in Part A I of the Tolling Regulations.

Vehicles with three wheels are always considered to be twin-track vehicles. No time-related toll must be paid for trailers being towed by twin-track vehicles with a maximum gross vehicle weight of up to 3.5 t or for sidecars attached to single-track vehicles."

Of course, if you exceed the GVW by overloading the 'van, this won't help, but neither would buying a Go-Box, you would still be illegal.

With the trailer on the back, you also need to be careful not to exceed the plated GTW; I don't know what that will be for the Renault, but it is very, very unlikely to be less than you need given your description - It should be the second number on your VIN plate, underneath the (hopefully) 3500 which denotes the MAM.

HTH

You will only require the vignette if you use the autobahnen, or designated expressways, in Austria.  They are not required for "ordinary" roads.

Some folk would like a fully integrated, federalised Europe, others would not!  At present it is not, and that is why so many laws and rules still vary state by state.  If, however, even as an unintended consequence of variety, this encourages folk to weigh their vans to be sure they are not overloaded, or in need of a Go-Box, the variety is surely of some advantage!  :-)

Thanks Robinhood, that makes perfect sense to me now, will check VIN plate tomorrow, as my user name may indicate I do have ready access to a weighbridge, and my van is probably weighed more often than most but after adding towbars and the like it is all too easy to forget to weigh the van again.

Your informed advice and your help with the link to the information is very much appreciated.

Brian is absolutely right. Keep off the autobahn and it makes little difference how heavy you are.... BUT please keep reading.

(If you want to short cut to the conclusion, - it's the last 3 paragraphs.)

We decided to avoid Austria on the way south last December because we're 4,600kg and were unsure about ALL the regs regarding weight. We went via Switzerland instead.

In Italy we made a point of interrogating every German we saw in anything we thought might weigh more than 3,500kg as to their homeward route through Austria. Some said "don't go because heavy trucks are banned on Austrian back roads", some said "no problem". One showed us a cutting from Pro-Mobil that said even VERY heavy motorhomes are ok as long as they are off the autobahns

SO we went home across the Brenner pass exiting Italy on the S12, which becomes the B182 in Austria. No sooner across the border than we noticed signs apparently limiting users of this road to a max weight of 3,500 kg. (see pic)

Taking what seemed a huge risk, we carried on along the B182 to Innsbruck passing several more of these signs and quite expecting to get pulled by the Polizei at any moment. All quite stressful, as I'd only had sight of a German magazine article to warrant my presence on this route and I wasn't quite sure how my pigeon German was going to stand up to the task of arguing it out in court.

So when we got home we wrote to the Austrian embassy for clarification.

The response from Beatrix STEINLECHNER was:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have received your letter regarding driving a motor caravan in Austria. In order to clarify the matter it would be necessary to know the exact travel route due to various regional traffic laws in Austria's 9 districts.

Please contact the British Embassy in Vienna as your competent authority in Austria to help you with this matter.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I did, and they replied

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your enquiry. The competent authority for answering specific questions on points of Austrian vehicle legislation is the Austrian motoring organisation the ÖAMTC (the equivalent of the AA in the UK). Their online contact form for questions on Austrian driving law can be found using the following link: http://www.oeamtc.at/index.php?type=menu&id=145

For more general information on driving in Austria please consult our website using the following link: http://ukinaustria.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-austria/tips-on-living-in-austria/

Yours sincerely,

Consular Section, British Embassy Vienna, http://ukinaustria.fco.gov.uk

If ever there was a case of as buck being passed, - this surely was it

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BUT THEN:another Mail from Beatrix STEINLECHNER who said:

Looking at the ÖAMTC-website I realized that it might be difficult for you to find the information wanted. (Dead right there Beatrix) I checked again with the Ministry of Transport in Vienna and received the following answer:

Road signs which show a 3,5 t limit only: driving on this road with a motor home weighing more than 3,5 t is not allowed

Road signs which show a 3,5 t limit in connection with a truck: driving on this road with a motor home weighing more than 3,5 t is allowed

CONCLUSION

From the experience of others, keep off the Austrian Autobahns and expressways (eg Arlburg pass) they are VERY expensive for the likes of us.

If you keep off the Autobahns you DO NOT need a GO BOX.

and subject to local restrictions...

Up to 3.5 tons, drive anywhere else in Austria

Over 3.5 tons, drive anywhere else in Austria provided there are no signs showing ONLY a 3,5 ton limit. (If the sign is as below i.e 3.5 ton limit + pic of lorry, - it does not apply to motorhomes of any weight).

pass the schnapps.

2095262338_3.5tonsign.JPG.74495e4b3bfd91e04ef6865cb6ae747e.JPG

Not wishing to start anything here but can I ask why there is problem about the Go Box? The only reason I ask is that I am now wondering if the information that a friend and I have been given is not correct!

As I understand it if you are going to pass through Austria from Germany to Italy it costs more to get a Vignette for ten days than it does to get a Go Box and use it for the journey. We were led to believe that the GoBox is only dearer if you are going to travel continuously within Austria on the Motorways not just passing through.

Bas

It may be worth you visiting www.vignette.at - according to the website a Vignette will cost €7.90 for ten days, as far as I can see - using a Go Box a trip to and from Vienna from the German border would cost almost €200.

I think the very helpful answer and the information from Robinhood pretty well puts this to bed and the link (which Robinhood gave me in the first place) is well worth following.

Not using the Autobahn would not be an option for me, I do not have the time to use the sideroads.

quarryjmiller - 2010-03-26 9:15 AM

- using a Go Box a trip to and from Vienna from the German border would cost almost €200.

On what information do you base this? As looking at the Go website I am unable to see where it gets anywhere close to that figure so I must be missing something somewhere. Could you please explain for me as our friend will need to get one this year when we go from Germany into Italy via Brenner Pass using the motorways.

Bas

Sorry to jump in on this at such a late stage in the discussions. However, when I was last looking at the Go box issues, some time ago I must admit, but it stated that the charges relate to the distances travelled on the Austrian Motorways only. The go box applies to vehicles over a certain weight, irrespective of touring in the country or just passing through.

Basil - 2010-03-26 7:33 PM

- using a Go Box a trip to and from Vienna from the German border would cost almost €200.

On what information do you base this? As looking at the Go website I am unable to see where it gets anywhere close to that figure so I must be missing something somewhere. Could you please explain for me as our friend will need to get one this year when we go from Germany into Italy via Brenner Pass using the motorways.

Bas

On my calculation, for a EuroIII 3850kg vehicle, which I have, a return trip to Vienna crossing the German border near Salzburg would be around €140 (somewhat under 5km per € inc VAT).

Not quite €200, but still incredibly expensive compared to the vignette.

One of the reasons why Austria no longer gets my tourist £, which it regularly used to do before the toll changes.

Not using the Autobahn would not be an option for me, I do not have the time to use the sideroads.

Hello again

The sideroads aren't really that awful (rather picturesque actually). But autobahn toll charges for >3.5ton are pretty dreadful. Our German informant (N&B Flair 5 ton tag axle) would pay, using a GO box, €60+ to get from the Brenner to Innsbruck. It took us about an hour on the side road for free.

In June 2008 I crossed from Fussen to the Brenner Pass joining the motorway at Telfs. The Go Box cost 75 euros and on leaving Austria at the Brenner border post I had 36 euro returned. Pay cash and you get cash back. Expensive but friends trying to avoid paying ended up going over a mountain in error and found the road closed. If you are certain of your route avoiding motorways go for it.

• 2 months later...

How much do you think we would have to pay for Euro 1 van over 3.8ton Salzburg to Slovenia (Bled) I seem to be getting the information that it could be near 200 euroes?

Is there a cheaper route from Calais. Should we return via Italy or is that dearer? We will have about 3 weeks after going through Austria. Heading to Bled then Croatia and return

Chris

Hi,

Taking all of the information provided above regarding the 3.5 ton signs and some feed back from a contact I made on a German web site, we used the non-toll route through Austria to Italy earlier this year and would recommend it to anyone.

No problems with directions we found the non-motorways perfect and at no time did we feel that the signs were trying to mislead us onto the motorways, hope that makes sense.

So if we were thinking of travelling from Salzburg to Slovenia assuming we got into the middle of Salzburg without using a motorway, we would follow non toll route that my copy of Map-point has produced which is

B150

B159

B99

B100

B86

B83

B109

Now I can't gauratee the above roads are suitable or not, but on MapPoint they look fine, I would suggest you just set your SatNav to non toll roads and give it a go, you could also check the roads suggested above on Google Earth as you should be able to get a good view of them

Hope that helps.

chris - 2010-06-30 11:48 PM

How much do you think we would have to pay for Euro 1 van over 3.8ton Salzburg to Slovenia (Bled) I seem to be getting the information that it could be near 200 euroes?

Is there a cheaper route from Calais. Should we return via Italy or is that dearer? We will have about 3 weeks after going through Austria. Heading to Bled then Croatia and return

Chris

chris - 2010-06-30 11:48 PM How much do you think we would have to pay for Euro 1 van over 3.8ton Salzburg to Slovenia (Bled) I seem to be getting the information that it could be near 200 euroes? ... Heading to Bled then Croatia and return Chris

It will cost nowt if you keep off the toll roads. We drove from Slovenia (crossing into Austria just north of Bled) to Germany (crossing near Salzburg) last summer and had an easy and visually stunning experience. We rough-camped one night in Austria but could easily have done the whole trans-Austria trip in one day if we'd desired.

I've also driven across Austria from the Swiss border to Slovenia, again off toll roads, and never had a moments grief.

I'm pretty tuned in to weight limit signs as I've previously had bigger motorhomes. I've never encountered any restrictive 3.5 tonne signs at all.

Just in case anyone is thinking they can "get away with it" we were checked coming back from Bled in Austria for a vignette with all other traffic by being diverted through a rest area. A van with camera`s on one side and an official on the other presumably waiting to stop anyone without one. The same applies in Slovenia, tolls are payable over 3.5T rather than the vignette, there are three toll areas en route to Croatia you just drive through the vignette lane if applicable or go to a pay booth if over 3.5T. There are camera`s at the toll but no sign of anyone actually checking.

Hi,

I may not have made it very clear we are 4 ton (4000kg) and 7.5 metres long, and yes I was concerned from some of the misleading information I had read, but as having done it now I would certainly do it again, best of luck with what ever you do,

You could always purchase a Go Box and then try to keep off of the motorways etc and if you succeed it will only cost you around a £5 for the hire of the box, you should get all of your credit back.

You will need to charge/credit the Go Box which will cost you around £75 but as I said if you manage to cross Austria without going on a toll road which I think you will with a bit of planning, you will get most of it back.

Adds to the adventure

Hope that makes sense

chris - 2010-07-04 7:11 PM

Well, whatever we decide to do, we will report back to you on our return. Must say there is a lot of information here but its very offputting if you are over 3.8ton.

Chris

We're just back from Austria in a 4 tonne 'van. First time. The following web site may be helpful:- http://www.go-maut.at/go/default.asp

The charge for using the motorway, and other dual carriageway express roads, is about 1 Euro per 5 kilometres. It is even more on some motorway sections and mountain passes!

Over 3.5 tonne and you must have a GO-BOX. Buy at a service station kust before entering Austria. Minimum charge is 80 Euros - 5 Eu for the GO-BOX (non-refundable) and 75 Eu for tolls (actually only about 56 Eu after deducting the VAT). Top up at designated service stations. On leaving Austria you can reclaim remaining credit on the BOX by going to a service station at the boarder. You don't get the money for the GO-BOX, but you get to keep it for future use. Any credit has an indefinite life.

New rules this year mean all vehicles lower than Euro IV emissions pay +10% on the flat Km charge. Vehicle owner must send written evidence that the vehicle is Euro IV within 2 weeks, and it is virtually impossible to comply with this requirement. If you just declare your vehicle is lower than Euro 4, you pay the extra 10% but don't have to prove your vehicle's emission category.

I paid 180 Euros to travel Satzburg to Vienna and back via a mixture of motorway and non motorways. It is easy driving but very expensive.

Richard.

• 7 years later...

If you keep off the Autobahns you DO NOT need a GO BOX or vignette, they are not required for "ordinary" roads.

We crossed Austria last year, 2017, in an over 3.5 tonne motorhome we did not need a vignette or go box as we kept off the autobahns, motorways and express ways and stuck to the main roads (or at least tried to) we did find it “difficult” mainly as we were towing a trailer with car on, and if you make a mistake and miss a turning there is nowhere to turn round, we found ourselves on some very wiggly roads and some very steep mountains!

Some roads are marked 3.5 tonne prohibited with a lorry depicted below it, this apples to Lorry's only, but not motorhomes, but we found it may be advisable to miss these roads as well, but its not always possible and found ourselves crawling up steep mountains.

Austria is a beautiful place and there were plenty of good camp sites. We did at the very end slip onto the motorway for the last 15 miles expecting to be found out but we got away with it, Croatia was our destination.

We are going again this year and I will be very carefully checking the map!, but it will involve mountains to cross. The Autobahns are better for this but then it will cost £200 +

It would be far simpler for heavy motorhomes, if they changed the wording of the law to say Go boxes are for lorry's and vans which transport goods, which is what they intended in the first place unfortunately Motorhomes got court as well only, then Motorhomes only would have to have a vignette.

Another tip if you book the ferry with the Motorhome and Caravan Club and are towing a car tell them its a “baggage trailer” as the MH&CC charge an extra £100 for a “car”, when the ferry company classifies a towed car as a trailer!

Archived