Income tax scam. Official looking. Today. Not M/H related.

The Decorator

There is another one - saying they owe you money and again - send details of bank account/ credit card - so that it can be repaid. Again official looking email & link to official looking website. Do not have actual details as have deleted them, but be warned. My other half is a chartered accountant and he says - and it did happen the other day - Customs & Revenue will have your details and if a repayment is due they will automatically refund it, and notify you that they have done so.

PJay - 2010-03-23 12:57 PM

Have the IR ever asked for e-mail address? Never been asked or for phone number. CVertainly a SCAM, and not a very good one at that.

PJay

They will have your email address if you do your tax submission on line as that's how they give you your id etc to allow you to log in.

As has been said, though, I wouldn't believe any email I got purporting to be from them when it wanted info on bank accounts etc, as they already get that when you do your tax return so there would be no reason at all for them to ask for it again.

magbrin - 2010-03-23 1:16 PM

There is another one - saying they owe you money and again - send details of bank account/ credit card - so that it can be repaid. Again official looking email & link to official looking website. Do not have actual details as have deleted them, but be warned. My other half is a chartered accountant and he says - and it did happen the other day - Customs & Revenue will have your details and if a repayment is due they will automatically refund it, and notify you that they have done so.

I received a "Apply for your £988.94 tax refund" spam e-mail a while ago.

Besides the chance of HMR&C owing me money being absolutely nil, it was amusing to note that the message closed "Kind regards" - not a term of endearment I've ever come across on correspondence from a government department. What will be next - spam messages from banks ending "Love you lots"?

Mel B - 2010-03-23 7:33 PM

They will have your email address if you do your tax submission on line as that's how they give you your id etc to allow you to log in.

As has been said, though, I wouldn't believe any email I got purporting to be from them when it wanted info on bank accounts etc, as they already get that when you do your tax return so there would be no reason at all for them to ask for it again.

Do not fill in a tax return Mel,

PJay

PJay - 2010-03-24 1:29 PM

Do not fill in a tax return Mel,

PJay

Is that advice or you telling me you don't? :D ;-) I assume the latter. :-D

You ain't missing anything though, blooming horrible things especially since they keep changing them every flipping year! >:-(

Mel, I mean't I do not fill in a tax return anymore. I do know what a pain they are, as in another life, i had to fill in lot's of them. i even had to do other peoples ones (was my job) and submit to the Norwiegian and Danish tax offices. ( was connected with the Offshore oil industry) Good job thay were in english as well as Norweigian/Danish.i had to deal with the Rev enue offices in both countries as well!!!!

PJay

Archived