Tyre pressure gauges

bob b

I checked my tyre pressures today with a 'normal' pressure gauge. On putting some air in the tyres using my airline from the compressor, I noticed a difference between the gauges of nearly 10 psi. The problem is I don't know which one is correct.

Are the digital gauges more accurate and can anybody recommend a make ?  

Now that is a can of worms the best test I can think of would be to check your pressures at a tyre fitting bay as they have to be correct. Forecourt air lines could be way out. Then recheck with your own pressure gauge to see if its accurate. John :-S

I bought a little digital one from Halfords about 3 years ago. It cost £5 and the tyres look alright. :D

If it is not accurate then at least all the tyres are the same pressure. It is possible to have a problem if tyres on the same axle are inflated by different pumps.

In the meantime, unless the pressures are at the maximum permissible for the tyres, until you can get the uncertainty resolved, it would probably be best to work to the gauge that gives the lower reading, so that your tyres are, if anything, a little over inflated.

I'm not sure any of them are really accurate.  I bought a couple of Michelin branded digital gauges in Halfords, one for the van, one for the car, and tried each on all the van tyres.  I don't know if they are, actually, accurate, but they both gave the same readings all round - so at least they are consistent!  :-)

Picking up on Brian's last paragraph, I have a 12v inflator with digital readout, a footpump with analogue (dial) gauge and a simple telescopic/stick gauge. I occasionally compare a tyre pressure reading from them all and so far they have remained consistent, which is promising.

Although not impossible, it's very unlikey that they're all inaccurate t the same degree.

A further cross reference is when the van returns from it's annual service when Mr. Dealer always likes to adjust the rear tyre pressures from Mr Ford's specified ones.

This is a link to a 2006 test-report on tyre-pressure gauges:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/66830/tyre_pressure_gauges.html

Any new gauge you are likely to buy should provide a reading accurate enough for general use (say, within 1% of exact), but you'll note from the report that mistreatment can change this.

Personally, I prefer the dial-type of gauge as there's no battery to fail and I find this type more reliable and easier to link to the tyre-valve than the digital types I've tried. For a motorhome, you'd need a gauge that can measure pressure up to 100psi, rather than the 60psi maximum that's common for use with cars.

As has already been advised, check your new gauge's accuracy with a tyre-supplier (preferably a couple of tyre-suppliers) and get it re-checked every once in a while. If you can, it's best to check accuracy at the pressures you will be inflating your motorhome's tyres to. (One of my gauges proved to be accurate at higher pressures but over-read at lower pressures.)

The gauges fitted to 12V electric tyre pumps are generally untrustworthy and you'll sometimes find the pump's instruction leaflet warning that the gauge is "for guidance only" (whatever that means!)

Thanks for the responses. I went to Halfords this morning and bought a digital gauge at £18.99 (£19.00) and checked the other two against that. I discovered that the faulty gauge was the compressor airline gauge.

On inspection, I found that there was nothing wrong with any of them. The dial face had just become detached from the body. I slipped off the rubber cover and re-secured the face and its now reading accurately.

On this occasion I had ignored my own mantra....always check the simplest things first !

Irritated of Horsham.

Archived