Test drive of the new 2010 VW Transporter SWB.

The Decorator

Which given time will flow into the M/H market.

The vehicle as a whole is a similar style to the previous T5 series. There is a slight difference in the front wing and light shape but not noticeable (probably to aid air flow).

The first thing noticed was the very light steering. I’m told the movement is possibly electric driven, it was so easy, a real one finger touch. The second was much quieter road noise, possibly due to new tyres and a fair road surface but it gave the impression of being quieter, much better than previous types.

There are at least two suspension systems, this one was 'standard' and a good ride with two people. The other being 'sporting' of which I owned such a model three years ago and for an older person with older joints it was hell, like having no springs at all.

The third improvement here was the gear box, this test drive one was automatic or as they would say DSG. Direct Shift Gearbox. A new generation 7-speed system (7 gears). Two gearboxes operating via two automatic clutches.

I have no knowledge of the manual boxes which are 5 or 6 speed.

After 15 miles of variable driving I could not distinguish the gear changes by either sound or vehicle movements, as in the previous types.

As usual there are a variety of interiors from the executive Caravelle to the delivery van. Overall it was a pleasant drive, but I would say that as I've owned some 14 of them from the rounded body type to the present day.

One other addition is the 4MOTION all wheel drive system, I have no knowledge further other than the booklet details which are as printed.

There are some vast differences in first road tax costs. The Panel van and the Kombi (half windows at the rear) have a first registration cost of £55.00. The Road tax is £125.00

The same transporter shape with windows all round jumps to over £500.00 for the registration cost. Using a similar body shape as a M/H I have no idea.

TD

Archived