2006 55 Lunar Champ A551 2.3 JTD

rolling hills

Thinking of purchasing this motorhome, does anyone have one and is it recommended. Have read that the Fiat Ducato engine that powers this has problems.

Am completely new to motorhomes apart from 3 months in Austrailia and 1 month in New Zealand but then they were hired!

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Don't know what you have heard or from whom but I cannot say that I have heard of any common problems with this engine. I think the 2.8 is better because it pulls just that little bit better but you would not notice it most of the time.

It does not suffer from oil leaks, which is one advantage over the 2.8 I suppose.

I think you can be pretty confident with this choice of base vehicle.

Nick

Guest Tracker

If this is NOT the X250 but IS the previous Fiat Ducato engine then I can confirm it is a cracking motor.

It pulls well and is not overly thirsty but is a tad more harsh (and powerful) than the equivalent Peugeot 2.2 hdi.

Having had vans with both engine over lots of miles I would be very happy to have either in my van.

I'm not knoocking the newer engines but I have no real life experience of them - or their gearboxes - so I can't say!

I have the 2.3 JTD engine in my motorhome and its a peach! I normally tow a 650cc motorbike on a trailer when on my travels and you really wouldn't know its there.

I've just carried out routine maintenance and had no problems whatsoever.

Can't help with the Lunar Champ bit though !

rolling hills - 2010-03-25 3:24 PM

Thinking of purchasing this motorhome, does anyone have one and is it recommended. Have read that the Fiat Ducato engine that powers this has problems.

Am completely new to motorhomes apart from 3 months in Austrailia and 1 month in New Zealand but then they were hired!

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi RollingHills

I think the only concern I would have about the Lunar Champ is I think they where made by the Belgium side of lunar, this division I beleive went Bankcrupt so you may have difuculty getting spares for the habitation side of the vehicle

Terry

Archived