Gas refills, Germany and Austria

tonyg3nwl

Hi, As we plan to visit both countries this year, and in the past have carried 3 camping gas cylinders, are we able to get refills readily in both countries. I know that advice will be pointing out that it is the most expensive option, but for many years we have used these bottles as they have been readily available in French hypermarkets, and are carryable on a bike. Also our gas locker can carry 3 of them as well as electrick hookup cable, water hose, spare connectors etc all jammed in together.

This year we will be touring, and therefore not using many sites with hookup options, so will have to use more gas to keep fridge running at night etc.

If best advice turns out to be buy local gas bottle, What pigtails are required. Are uk Calor type pigtails useable for continental bottles, butane or propane tail types, or would we need a new tail to match continental bottles.

Please dont waste time advising purchase of refillables as budget doesnt permit such ( much as I like the thought).

Tonyg3nwl

Short of a refillable system, which you rightly say involves a big up-front investment, I actually agree with your choice of CampingGaz, for the reasons you've given. In our last van we used it all the time, as our gas locker was small and we toured in various countries - especially France. Although we did gnash our teeth at the cost!

CG is readily available in German supermarkets, can't advise re Austria.

tonyg3nwl - 2010-03-25 4:16 PM

...If best advice turns out to be buy local gas bottle, What pigtails are required. Are UK Calor type pigtails useable for continental bottles, butane or propane tail types, or would we need a new tail to match continental bottles?

According to the information in Gaslow and Truma literature, for Germany (and, presumably Austria too) you wouldn't be able to use UK-standard pigtails with standard German/Austrian gas-bottles.

An example of the type of pigtail you'd need is shown on

http://www.caravanparts.co.uk/index.php?cPath=67_231

(You'll note the different bottle-end fitting.)

Archived