what problems with a four ton van

Mickydripin

Hi all

I hope that all you experianced motorhomers can help I am looking at a 4.000Kg motorhome and it is almost 7.5mt long and 3.20mts high what are the main things that I will need to know besides driving licence regulations is the 7.5mt going to be a problem what about height on ferries I need a lot of advice before I go ahead as most people say that the 6mt 3.500Kg rule is the best all replies will be appreciated. Mike.

1. Ferry Cost, height not a problem (try entering comparison details on a couple of Ferry companies websites and compare lengths/prices)

2. Class 3 on French Autoroutes, height over 3m

3. Austria - Go Box instead of vignette- hassle/cost

4. Slovenia - Toll Charges instead of Vignette

5. Switzerland - Heavy Goods Vehicle Tax instead of vignette ( this can work in your favour)

6. Very high costs on Bridges and Ferries in Scandanavia

7. Speed restictions in many European Countries, including lane usage restrictions in e.g. Germany

8. 3.5T limits in some towns on continent.

9. In general many sites on continent have tighter access and smaller pitches, though a bit of homework gets around this, can be awkard in high summer.

10. Smaller vehicles reach the parts the large ones can`t.

11. Vans over 3.5T are just starting to go out of fashion (despite what their owners are going to come on and say) and more restrictions in the future are going to lessen their appeal further.

A bit more of the normal day to day problems are. Even on just wet grass you'll sometimes sink in as you drive across it. This tends to result in either loosing traction and or getting stuck! Forget grass pitches after two or three days rain without a tractor on standby. So it's CL sites with hardstandings only during the winter in the UK. The sinking in can happen overnight while you sleep too! We went to bed in Devon last year at a CL site and by morning the chocks had disappeared under the mud and the tyres were just over the tread deep in the stuff.

You'll have to pay for two parking spaces in a municipal car park.

There might be problems with the rear overhang when boarding ferries or even on reasonably shallow slopes.

The upside is you have more internal space, greater payload, sometimes they seem to have better spec. fridges and internal layouts. i.e. longer beds/settees depending on your make & model.

The other thing is I've found from an asthetic point is when you look at your van from far away it seems massive compared to the 6 metre ones!

mirage - 2010-03-26 8:28 PM

11. Vans over 3.5T are just starting to go out of fashion (despite what their owners are going to come on and say) and more restrictions in the future are going to lessen their appeal further.

Well I've got a 3.3 tonne van (which incidentally sinks on grass pitches when it rains, so such issues aren't restricted to bigger vans) and have every intention of getting a 4.0 tonne van when I've saved enough pennies. Perhaps I'm unfashionable.

What restrictions are you expecting in the future, other than obviously there'll be more drivers who passed their test after 1997 hence only have B rather than C1E licenses?

Agree with your other points.

Paul

Tomo3090 - 2010-03-26 9:01 PM

A bit more of the normal day to day problems are. Even on just wet grass you'll sometimes sink in as you drive across it. This tends to result in either loosing traction and or getting stuck! Forget grass pitches after two or three days rain without a tractor on standby. So it's CL sites with hardstandings only during the winter in the UK. The sinking in can happen overnight while you sleep too! We went to bed in Devon last year at a CL site and by morning the chocks had disappeared under the mud and the tyres were just over the tread deep in the stuff.

You'll have to pay for two parking spaces in a municipal car park.

There might be problems with the rear overhang when boarding ferries or even on reasonably shallow slopes.

The upside is you have more internal space, greater payload, sometimes they seem to have better spec. fridges and internal layouts. i.e. longer beds/settees depending on your make & model.

The other thing is I've found from an asthetic point is when you look at your van from far away it seems massive compared to the 6 metre ones!

Oooops i booked onto a grass pitch,Rudding Park nr Harrogate for the easter break.I have got a 7.5t 12ft high American.Weather forecaster hinting of wintery weather.

:-( :-(

Park On Breadcrates on Grass, whether it's been raining or not, it'll probably rain in the night if you don't.

Stops you from sinking in.

(all breadcrates sourced from sustainable sources legally and no animals were harmed during the action) Just a disclaimer for the 'Barrack Room' lawyers out there.

A large payload margin means you are not always worrying about being oveweight. ;-)

So it appears I am unfashionable due to my choice of van.

Thank Gawd for that. Older people tend to look a bit ridiculous when they try to appear trendy. I looked bad enough in the 1960`s. :D

Where`s me pipe and slippers?

I always rubbished those huge vans with twin rear wheel drive and lots of payload, that is until I managed to get one myself. Camping it aint but luxury and space it most certainly is. Our chance only came once so we went for it. Brilliant. Mind you, if you are scared of driving something substancial it can take a little getting used to.

Don,t knock it until you have tried it.

When we honestly believe that it is too big for us then I will join the crowd and extoll the virtues of the sub 3500kg panel vans.

C.

Hi Micky

We haven't had a 4 tonne van, but have a large Rimor at 7.14m plus bike rack. Over the last 11 years we've had the following coachbuilt motorhomes: a 5.4m Elddis, a 5.99m Swift Suntor 590RS, a 5.53m Rapido 709F, and our Rimor, so I appreciate the difference size can make! :-S

Had we decided to keep our van we would have uprated it to 3950kg (currently at 3,500kg) but, as Mirage has said, there are things to consider and be aware of if you do go over the 'magic' 3,500kg weight.

If the van you want is over 3,500kg then you'll need to weigh up carefully the pros and cons. Yes, 3,500kg and 6.0m is a good size of van, long enough to give a fair bit of space, but small enough to be able to park it just that bit easier, and cheaper on the ferries etc, and also a size I would imagine a lot of people hope to get with everything in it they want, but I would also imagine that for a lot of people that is impossible.

IMV:

Having a larger van is great for internal space, so long as you really need and want it, if not, then you're just lugging around the extra length (and weight of a heavier van) for nothing.

Having a shorter van is also great for the ability to take it to places you can't always take a larger/heavier van and the manoeuvrability of it is generally better too.

Having gone through the various coachbuilt motorhomes, we have now decided to go down to 5.99m as that will suit our needs better and the circumstances we will shortly find ourselves in. Yes there are compromises to be made, but we are willing to make them, just as going up to the larger van will mean you may have to make compromises.

I would suggest you seriously consider the compromises you may have to accept by 'going large' and make sure you truly can do that, otherwise it could end up a very disappointing and costly mistake.

Good luck with your decision!

(^)

what a remarkable lot you are thanks for all your advice if things work out I may not have much choice of vehicle as this is the vehicle that I have been offered after my two years of purgatory but even at this stage things may still fall through.

This may sound strange to some of you at the moment I can tell you no more but I will explain all when I see what happens with my solicitor in the next couple of weeks or more thanks for your patience and the great help.

Mike.

Ours is 4000kg burstner elegance i 685, but only 6.96 long, over 800kg payload but compact enough to park etc, ideal for us but not for everyone.

It is now 3 years old and so far best we have had on wet grass etc,

pos due to wieght distribution.

Archived