Jump to content

Dog owners - important info


Mel B

Recommended Posts

I have posted this is several parts of the forum as I want this to be viewed by as many members as possible to avoid anyone else going through this (I'll put it on the other forums too).

 

A colleague had to take her 2 puppies (3 months old I believe) to the vet yesterday as they ate some pot pourri, they were seriously ill so she had to leave them there.

 

This afternoon she received a call from the vet to go there immediately as they are not likely to survive, needless to say she is absolutely distraught.

 

If you have any pot pourri in your home, whether you have puppies or older dogs, please ensure that they cannot get at it, or better still, dispose of it completely.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks very much for that Mel and Janine I have posted the link to my Sons and posted it on the garden board Im on.

 

I have been around the house and emptied all into a carrier bag!! it was full :-S I had thought it wouldnt be very nice if Teddy had eaten it! I had no idea it was so dangerous !! I do know he was often after it when he was a puppy and I have had to take pieces out of his mouth!! that is frightening!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

maggyd - 2010-03-27 5:39 PMMeaning he is a M.O.S. that has to have his two pennoth.

I'm sorry that you feel the need to post in this vein. Mine was intended as a bit of fun and that's all it was. I felt that with some of the aggro that's gone on lately that it would do no harm.

Your post is, regrettably, rude and full of bile. And you wonder why rows develop!
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gypsy Tom, I understood your post to indicate that you enjoyed watching dogs die from strychnine poisoning and thus had bought a large amount of pot pourri which is why I asked for clarification. Not a funny image at all.

 

Just shows how, perhaps, a posting can be misconstrued.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

J9withdogs - 2010-03-27 7:14 PMGypsy Tom, I understood your post to indicate that you enjoyed watching dogs die from strychnine poisoning and thus had bought a large amount of pot pourri which is why I asked for clarification. Not a funny image at all.Just shows how, perhaps, a posting can be misconstrued.

Oh dear, and I've just been accused of not having a sense of humour! If this thread had been about not letting your husband near the potpourri and one of the women on this forum had said 'I'm off to buy a kilo' you'd all have been splitting your sides.

And why, because you know that it's a joke and that no one would intentionally want to watch their husbands die of poisoning!

Well, here's some news for you - it was a joke and I'd no more want to watch a dog die of poisoning than I would a person.

In December 2008 my daughter, then aged 22, was driving along when she saw a kitten dragging itself across the road. Being a lovely girl she stopped and brought it home. The RSPCA came and said that its injuries were such that it may have to be put down.

They took it away and x-rayed it and said that it could be fixed but it would cost too much for them. We collected the kitten and had its broken hip fixed, its tail, which was broken in three places, cut off (apart from two inches) and at the same time it was neutered and chipped. It also had a broken pelvis but that was allowed to just heal itself.

It cost me over £950. It is now about 17 months old and is fine, incredibly happy and spends all day hunting in the fields and garden. Unfortunately it has a slightly funny walk, which resulted in it being named Wonky.

I only tell you all this to impress on you that I'm not some heartless sod who doesn't like animals. I love them but it will never stop me making jokes about them or anything else!

If you like and to prove that I've not just made this up I'll email you a picture of Wonky. Just say the word. Oh, and I've a copy of the vet's bill as well!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Tracker
GypsyTom - 2010-03-26 10:56 PM

 

Thanks for the tip Mel. I've just been out and bought a kilo of potpourri. :-D

 

Thanks GT - it arrived today disguised as a ginger bread man - but my sniffer dog just stopped me eating it in time - sorry!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

GypsyTom - 2010-03-27 6:49 PM
maggyd - 2010-03-27 5:39 PMMeaning he is a M.O.S. that has to have his two pennoth.

I'm sorry that you feel the need to post in this vein. Mine was intended as a bit of fun and that's all it was. I felt that with some of the aggro that's gone on lately that it would do no harm.

Your post is, regrettably, rude and full of bile. And you wonder why rows develop!
If you want the TRUTH I am sick to death of trying to read a thread which is of interest to most of us and YOU come on and cause trouble >:-) GROW UP MAN and if you cant be pleasant then at least try and be CIVIL and if you cant do that then I hope the mods latch ont o the trouble maker on this board and BAN YOU.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

GypsyTom - 2010-03-27 6:49 PM
maggyd - 2010-03-27 5:39 PMMeaning he is a M.O.S. that has to have his two pennoth.

I'm sorry that you feel the need to post in this vein. Mine was intended as a bit of fun and that's all it was. I felt that with some of the aggro that's gone on lately that it would do no harm.

Your post is, regrettably, rude and full of bile. And you wonder why rows develop!
What you don't seem to realize is, this is a real danger that Mel has warned us about!! more than once I have found my little dog trying to get at the poi pouri! and my blood ran cold at the thought of what could have happened to him had I not removed it ,and if you had read the link and then made a joke about it as you did :-S believe you me ! you are very lucky that all I called you was a miserable old S-d. And you would know all about the aggro that has gone on lately as you seem to be the main agitator! and that is an unbiased opinion.
Link to comment
Share on other sites


I've already apologised to J9 and will so again but I feel it sad that people can make jokes about husbands, wives or whatever but I realise that with certain people dogs are obviously a touchy subject.

Nevertheless I think that your reaction is over the top and somewhat irrational.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

To get this back on track on what is a serious issue, just remember that this stuff can also be poisonous to other creatures too ... like children .... so if you know anyone with babies/toddlers it would be an idea to suggest they throw the stuff away too. :-|
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Update on the doggies ... I spoke to my workmate today and she told me that one of them is home and recovering well, but the other is still at the vets and pretty poorly although a bit better than before.

 

What she did tell me though is that they actually never ate the stuff as they originally thought, they were just playing near it - the perfume it was covered in must have come into contact with them and that's what caused the problems - it begs the question how on earth this stuff is legal, or at least doesn't come with a severe health warning!!!! 8-)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They could have had it in their mouths though Mel and dropped it as it tasted nasty! inhaling it shouldnt have caused them to be so ill surely.! Anyway mine is gone now :-S all except the bowl I found in the conservatory yesterday!!and that is gone when I do my spring clean in there.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mel thank you for this warning - actually I think I have already done so on another part of the forum. Anyway I passed this information on to my daughter who has a puppy and she was most concerned to hear about those puppies. I can now give her an update on their welfare. Glad that it is good news.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is it a particular type of Pot pourri? or is it all of them?

 

We have dried up bits of fruit and stick that is supposed to be 100% natural as decorative dust gatherers that SWMBO's buys and our dogs and cats just ignore it.

 

Am I right in thinking that the problem is with the heavily dyed and coloured stuff?

 

Any manufacturers names?

 

Agree with Mel B - if it is that poisonous - assume a young child could be at risk????

 

Has it been reported to "Trading Standards" ?

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Clive

 

Have a read of the link that Janine posted earlier as it gives some more info about it, this is an extract from it though:

 

"The toxin….strychnine, which in it’s commercial source, comes from a certain tree grown in India."

 

I haven't done any research into this, but what it seems to suggest is that there is a chance that the tree could be one of the constituent parts of ANY pot pourri and you wouldn't know about it - unfortunately saying something is 100% natural doesn't actually protect you - there are many plants that are poisonous or contain toxins that are harmful, and they would be classed as 'natural' too.

 

As for Trading Standards, I don't know as I haven't spoken to her again (she works in another building to me), but next time I'm in touch, I'll ask her.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...