motorhome swap

mojo

4 months in Australia by swapping with two couples for two months in their vans.They will come to UK later this year to use our van.No costs ,just put them on your insurance.We saved approx £12,000 in hire costs.

More info if you want.

Just a thought Mojo - have you confirmed that your insurance company will cover drivers who do not hold UK driving licences? I know from bitter experience that many companies will not, even though the proposed driver has a licence from his/her own country that makes it perfectly legal to drive in the UK. Some companies will accept an international licence (easily obtained before leaving the driver's home country) but many are not even that accommodating. There are also some extremely unhelpful insurance companies who not only require a UK licence but also require the driver to be a genuine UK resident, not simply someone who has a UK contact address! I hope you are with a sensible and accommodating company.

Alistair

Hi

I am sorry to hear you had problems.How did you overcome them?Our company SAGA insist on them being named drivers on the policy and if not holding a UK licence they are subject to a extra £500 excess.

We swapped twice in OZ and they are more relaxed with only a phone call to put our names on the policy at no extra charge.

We have had to pay approx £50 to add the drivers on our policy.

mojo

Our situation was a little different. We bought a motorhome in the UK and struggled to insure it. All the (literally dozens) of companies and brokers we tried required UK driving licences, and on top of that, most had the UK resident requirement I mentioned. For the first year we used a company that offers insurance for tourists, but it's very expensive, they don't insure while the vehicle is in storage, and they don't give no-claims discounts. We eventually found a broker who was willing to insure us with one of the larger insurers. All he required was that we have international licences and a UK contact address (we use friends). We get no-claims discounts and are very happy with his service after two years with him. I have since read and been told about a number of people in your situation whose insurance companies would not permit the addition of drivers without full UK licences. Sounds like Saga are OK, although they refused to insure us in 2006, giving both the licence and residential situations as the reasons.

The situation here in NZ is the same as Australia seems to be from your comments.

Alistair

alistair - 2010-03-28 9:49 PM

We eventually found a broker who was willing to insure us with one of the larger insurers. All he required was that we have international licences and a UK contact address (we use friends). We get no-claims discounts and are very happy with his service after two years with him.

Who is the broker/insurer?

Andy

Archived