Overnight at Eurotunnel, Folkeston.

GypsyTom

I know, boring, boring, but I've given up on the search facility, which just freezes my entire forum content. It's a pain as I can often get it to work but this time I tried various combinations of 'Tunnel' Eurotunnel' and 'Overnight' and got nowhere.

Anyway, whinge over!

Where's the best place to park at Folkeston for an early morning journey to Calais? I seem to recollect that we're allowed to park at the tunnel, but I'm not sure.

We're going in early May, not that it makes any difference!

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

A possible problem with parking at the Tunnel Terminal is that to get access to the parking you have to check in first and they tell you that you should not arrive more than 2 hours beforehand. Why not give Eurotunnel a ring?

David

Been on tunnel many times now, just turn up, go through barriers and see what it says, bet you get through first time and will be in France within 2 hours.

We have been through 24 hours early twice now with no problem and nothing extra to pay, if it is a quiet time like late in an evening they just want rid of you. Have stayed in Car park over night twice with no probs at all, the place is empty.

Don't think we have ever spoken to a human being at the tunnel yet apart from on phone to book with vouchers.

There is no man with big stick waiting in the little huts for you, just efficient machines that can recognise your car as you drive up, welcome you and let you go as early as they can. They have asked us to pay twice and both times we have declined and waited, they where both on BH weekends. People seem to get very het up about it on here and the 2 hour rule, not sure why.

Good luck and have a great time

Mandy

Hi,

There is a service station, on other side of road, a few miles before the tunnel. There might be a notice saying Lorry Parking.

We filled our fuel tank, because we would be arriving in France in early hours. I asked the man, and he said it would be OK to park there. "How much?" "No charge!"

Can anyone research this, identify the garage, confirm their generosity. ????

Our experience of arriving earlier than 2 hours before is totally different to Mandy and Andy's.

Last August we were booked at 6.20 pm from Folkestone. We arrived very early (for various reasons) and got there at about 1.30 pm. Got to check-in (automated) and were offered next crossing at over £130 (can't remember the exact amount). We didn't want to pay that, so pressed the button to speak to someone, who then said that, seen as we were not willing to pay extra, there was no alternative but to leave and come back later, around 3pm, he suggested. He explained that the machine would print a hanger with EXIT printed on it and how to exit from the tunnel complex.

So we certainly had no option of staying anywhere within the tunnel complex on that occasion. I wonder what it depends on?

Ina.

I booked to cross over by the tunnel last year and asked, as I would be arriving around 6.30pm, if I could park up there until my departure which was 5 am. Yes they said

Upon arriving I was informed that I could not enter more than two hours before my departure time, no arguments! So we had to go and search for a place to park up and ended up at a CC site.

What made it worse was seeing all the vast areas of unused empty parking spaces, don’t they want our business!!!!!

I used the Ferry next time no problems and under half the price

John

We have used the tunnel many times and their attitude changes from time to time. They are not consistent and over the years have altered the 'rules' many times. In general they will not welcome overnighting on their carpark and you should not count on it.

GypsyTom - 2010-03-27 8:05 PMI know, boring, boring, but I've given up on the search facility, which just freezes my entire forum content. It's a pain as I can often get it to work but this time I tried various combinations of 'Tunnel' Eurotunnel' and 'Overnight' and got nowhere.

Anyway, whinge over!

Where's the best place to park at Folkeston for an early morning journey to Calais? I seem to recollect that we're allowed to park at the tunnel, but I'm not sure.

We're going in early May, not that it makes any difference!

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
We have used the overnight aire at New Dover Road, Canterbury Park and Ride. It is now (I think) £2.50 for 24 hours and this does include the fare into Canterbury if you wish to take advantage.See Graham Hadfiled's motorhome parking site:http://www.motorhomeparking.co.uk/ken.htm#cantDavid

Archived