Refillable Gas Bottles

kelly58

Having seen the pump price of LPG .56p ltr how doe's this work out per kilo I presently pay £11.25 for a 6kg cylinder of LPG I was contemplating having re-fillable cylinders the locker will hold 2x6kg bottles or 1x11kg so is the conversion cost really worth it I am aware of the convienience of being able to fill with gas at the pumps especially whilst in europe.

A rough guide to how many ltrs is to double the kg of the bottle.

6kg =12 litrs 11kg =22ltrs.

so £6.72 against £11.25 £4.50 saving.

It will take quite a few refill`s to get the initial outlay back but as the bottles are guaranteed for 25 years you have time.

But seriously its not about cost its the convienience of being able to refill from a pump in the UK and abroad,

No more lugging heavy bottles in and out of the locker finding the supplier has run out or wont change bottles because its the wrong make.

Take the cost of driving to get refill`s in time and fuel.

Going abroad with a spare Gaz bottle and they cost a small fortune to fill.

I have had two 11kg`s for 5 years and would i go back to refill`s

Definitely NO!..

On my new van, which I collect on 1st May, I have had Gaslow refillable bottles fitted (2 x 11Kg bottles) with auto exchanger and it comes with the European adaptors. In advance I have purchased the LPG map books (UK & Europe) which details where all the points are that can be used to refill. This includes petrol stations and suppliers all around the country. I am also aware, but yet to find the one that I believe is in Swindon, the supplier (I thing called "Countrywide") where you get issued with a card and pin number and can use their locations to refill. With this system they invoice you monthly but the charge comes with a discount on the VAT as it is not for domestic use. What I like about this system over the cylinder exchange, other than not having the hassle of lifting bottles in and out, is that you do not have to wait until you have an empty gas bottle, like filling up with petrol or diesel you can top up whenever you want to. With the current system if I am going on a long trip but have a full bottle and half a bottle I have to wait until I use the half bottle before I can go and exchange for a full one. The Gaslow (and other similar refillable types) you do not have these problems so convenience is the biggest advantage. I do understand that it is initially a big financial outlay (If like me you are not technically competent at fitting yourself) but once done, it's done and if you do change your van then the system can be taken out and put in to your new van.

We have been toying with the idea of doing what a lot of people have already done and that is to go away in the van over Christmas/New Year. I was not keen on the idea before because of the gas issue, that is to say, the heating would be a must and therefore constant use would mean that it would not be long before we ran out and where would we get re-fills ? This way, we could ensure that we were topped up (44 Ltrs) and in the unlikely event that we did need more then we could find a service station. Well that's the theory anyway *-)

The best buy I have made, i purched 2x7 kg bottles and one trip to France payed for themselves, plus on the continent you would have to buy new bottles for every country, i sold our van and got a kon-tiki so i sold the two bottles on ebay and bought two 12kg bottles. make sure all the hoses are stainless steel and not rubber, the gas seems to burn slightly hotte, I fitted them myself it took me about two hours, very easy

Mel B - 2010-03-28 7:43 PM Hi Kelly You might find some useful info on this previous thread: Gaslow thread I'm trying to remember where you live and if Waudby's are anywhere near you ... but I've lost the plot and my brain cells are numb so you'll have to remind me! :D

We are near Spalding South Lincs Mel

Are refillable bottles ok for the chunnel?  I guess so as no-one has highlighted this as an issue but I understand they don't accept vehicles that run on lpg (do they?)

Are there diy fitting instructions available anywhere?  My hubby is a competent diy'er but is hesitant about gas.  Does the installation have to be certified if not installed by a gas fitter?  How much extra does fitting cost?

Madmaggott - 2010-03-29 5:13 PMAre refillable bottles ok for the chunnel?  I guess so as no-one has highlighted this as an issue but I understand they don't accept vehicles that run on lpg (do they?)

Are there diy fitting instructions available anywhere?  My hubby is a competent diy'er but is hesitant about gas.  Does the installation have to be certified if not installed by a gas fitter?  How much extra does fitting cost?

No, they will not accept vehicles that run on lpg but do accept motorhomes/caravans that have gas cylinders fitted for domestic heating/water. They will simply require you to have the cylinder switched off and will check that they are.David

Chunnel - they are permitted as they are just like any other gas bottle used for the habitation side, so long as they are turned off no problem.

Fitting is easy so long as you aren't a complete numpty with tools (and assuming you don't want to put the filler point actually through the bodywork of your 'van); briefly this is the gist of what needs to be done:

1) First fit the filler pipe - you'll need the bracket for the filler end (a large piece of angled metal with a hole where the filler end slots in and is tightened up). Ideally this goes in a place where you can get to it in the gas locker so it's easy to fill, but make sure you can get the bottle in and out still. You may need to pack it out to get it in the right place.

2) Now connect the replacement hose to the regulator, and put the bottle in the locker and attach the other end to the outlet on the bottle.

3) Finally fit the other end of the filler hose to the inlet on the bottle.

You might be able to fit the hoses to the bottle whilst it is stood outside of the locker but it can make getting it into place in the locker awkward.

I'd suggest getting some 'leak detector' spray if your hubby is worried as that way he can make sure that the hoses are tightened up sufficiently (but don't over do it!). As far as I'm aware the installation doesn't have to be checked out by a registered gas fitter as it's no different to you connecting up a normal gas bottle.

Cost for fitting - depending on how difficult and time consuming it is, I would imagine anywhere up to an hour's labour cost?

If you go to the gaslow site there are some instructions on there - look on the left of the screen at the pdf files.

http://www.gaslow.co.uk/pages/products/list_1.htm

We have been looking in to this system, but my husband is hessitant over including the exchange thing amygig which i believe switches over from one bottle to the other when one is empty, I think he is afraid that we will get through two bottles and not realise it.

Any comments?

How you set up your refillable system is purely a personal choice, but I've never quite understood the idea of getting TWO large cylinders fitted. Unless you're really going a long way out of the way of any refilling points, surely one is sufficient (and saves a bit of dosh too)? That's our take on it anyway which is why we've only got the one refillable bottle.

I fitted one Gaslow bottle a couple of years ago and it has more than paid for itself.

We are just back from a three week sprint down to the Med ( snow, snow quick, quick snow). We burnt about 7 litres in the first three days but it was - 3C.

Three refills averaging 8 litres (empty 6.5 kg cylinder takes 11) cost about 16.5 Es

Most supermarket filling stations in France now have an LPG pump.

Used mostly aires but 4 nights on sites to give the battery a boost.

We also don't see any real advantage having 2 refillable bottles *-) you only have one fuel tank. Over time we estimate our usage as under one litre per day. The 11 kg Alugas bottle (there other manufacturers other than Gaslow 8-) ) & it holds just over 22 litres of gas. It doesn't take a great deal of planning to work out that after about 15 days we look for somewhere to fill it, not a problem for us as we tend to wildcamp in Europe so we tend to move after 2 to 3 days. As a back up we have a lightweight 6 kg calor bottle which we use for the cadac (without starting a big debate I also refill this myself when empty) but I have never ran out of gas so we never had to use it for the internal gas supply.

Looking at my records I have used 193 litres of gas (approx. 80 kgs) since November 2008, but fitted it for convenience when traveling in Europe rather than trying to save money.

I fitted twin 11kg refillable gaslow system to my M/H before Christmas,took me just over 40 minutes, then went and filled them up to 80% cost £22 64p to fill both cylinders,used washing up liquid and water to check for leaks all ok,      today I went for a  full 11kg propane bottle to local caravan shop for a Pensioners mobile heater (power cut) it cost £22.00 for the one ,I,m sure glad I fitted the Refillables. the initial outlay is large but I feel I have gained some independence of where and when I now buy my LPG ,

the reason i fitted two large cylinders is due to the fact that my partner and I travel around for up to 4 months at a time, and I don,t want to spend lots of time looking around for lpg points.

we spend a fair bit of time in norway and sweden and in both countrys lpg is a little thin on the ground.

terry

I dont know if its still corrrect but what did happen to me a couple of years back when I pulled into a Calor Gas depot to fill up my inboard tank. The operator on duty asked me what I was using the gas for, I told him it was Domestic use in the van. He then told me to pull over to another pump which was for Domestic use as I had pulled up at the Autogas pump. Domestic gas is a lot cheaper than Autogas. I know its the same gas but for accounting purposes they have to use 2 pumps. So if you are near a Gas Depot it may pay you to pull in and enquire before you head of to your nearest Petrol Station to fill up.

So there you are something else to ponder !!

Archived