Smokers less intellegint?

midknight

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What rubbish, no doubt the study was carried out by another anti-smoking, anti-freedom group.

From the same results it would be far more precise to conclude that people with lower IQ's are more likely to smoke. Most of the 'genius's' in our history were big smokers.

Nobody should take any notice of 'average' figures in a study or poll, because we all know that if one person smokes 60 cigs a day, and someone else smokes 2 a day, then the average cigs smoked is 32 a day, hardly precise is it.

The money spent on this patronising study would have been better spent trying to further educate smokers, but then again, it was probably funded by the tax raised on cigs anyway.

p.s. I don't smoke before anyone asks.

midknight - 2010-03-29 7:11 AM

A recent study shows that young people who smoke a pack or more of cigarettes a day averaged an IQ seven and a half points lower than that of those who do not smoke

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1261490/Is-proof-smoking-lowers-IQ-Study-suggests-20-day-drastically-reduces-mental-capacity.html#ixzz0jXjkWhP8

I don't know about their IQ, but it does make you wonder about the 'judgement ' of any young person these days who decides that smoking is a good idea.

:-(

p.s. No need to worry about the cost of the study this time Donna, it was carried out in Israel.

Guest Tracker
Please do not discourage those stupid enough to smoke as we depend on the tax and duty that they pay to sudsidise our own cut price motoring!

nowtelse2do - 2010-03-29 5:02 PM

Nice to see you back KTOR, It was getting a bit dull on here. Hope you are better. :-)

Dave

Hi Dave,Thanks for the welcome in actual fact I am feeling fine, the hospital business is great and I get paid £25 expenses for every time that I attend.I think things went very quiet on here after the mods issued a public warning about certain members insulting other members and deterring other members from posting for fear of getting an earbashing.

Syd - 2010-03-29 2:46 PM

malc d - 2010-03-29 2:24 PM

Syd - 2010-03-29 2:10 PM

Churchil smoked.

But when he started people were not aware of the risks.

Quiet right but did he let that stop him

He probably couldn't stop, even if he wanted to.

duetto owner - 2010-03-29 5:44 PM

knight of the road

thats correct but still no excuse for smoking, it might be cleaner than some drinkers dirty habits but not good for the lungs.

I am a smoker but I dont smoke your regular type cigs, I alternate between a pipe and hand rolling tobacco depending on my mood.

Ordinary cigs I find are too smokey and I can't stand the smell of them and I like the aroma of Old Holborn hand rolling baccy and Condor ready rubbed pipe tobacco, in point of fact many non-smokers say to me that they also like the aroma.

I have the utmost respect for non-smokers and I never smoke in their company, I can honestly say that I have enjoyed many peaceful hours having a smoke, a read of the paper with a nice cup of tea to hand.

I am not a drinker and would never try to discourage anyone who might like a tipple, it is a case of a little of what you fancy does you good, and like they say all things in moderation.

malc d - 2010-03-29 5:48 PM

Syd - 2010-03-29 2:46 PM

malc d - 2010-03-29 2:24 PM

Syd - 2010-03-29 2:10 PM

Churchil smoked.

But when he started people were not aware of the risks.

Quiet right but did he let that stop him

He probably couldn't stop, even if he wanted to.

He had given up smoking by the time I visited him in Blydon a few years back :D :D

I don't smoke myself but to me anyone who smokes is using their freedom to choose and not being bludgened by biased information. I also think that forcing shop assistants etc to take their smoke break out in the cold and rain is ofensive. As is the suggestion that they are less intelligent it could be reasoned that they are not being led like sheep. *-) John

How much has the no smoking ban cost the pub industry, pubs are closing at an alarming rate and what about the loss of tax revenue from pubs and the barstaff? no smoking zealots may be getting their own way but indirectly it will be costing them a pretty penny.

You can't smoke in any workplace or public building, a work vehicle etc etc, where is it all going to end?

How about looking at it from the side of the person who doesn't smoke too? Why should others breath in the pollution from smokers?

Would you expect someone to stand in a pub whilst you revved your car with a pipe stuck on the exhaust which was blowing the fumes into the room? Apart from the effect of the health effect of the fumes on you, would you like to go home smelling of it? I suspect not.

I don't have a problem with smoking so long as it is done with consideration for others and that means, for example, not doing so in a room if all others are not wanting to smoke too. If pubs brought back smoking rooms it would solve the problem of smokers having to go outside but what about the staff who work in the pub - what if they don't want to have to work in a smokey atmosphere - should they be made to? Or what about when you've just sat down to have a nice meal in a restaurant and someone on the next table light a cigarette ... remember when that used to be the norm?

Someone sitting in a pub having a quiet drink isn't the same as someone sitting in a pub and having a quiet smoke - the drink stays in the glass (or person when consumed hopefully!), the smoke doesn't, with the best will in the world, if someone smokes in a room it cannot be contained in one place, everyone else in there, whether they like it or not, is then exposed to it. Whether you like it or not smoking is not just a health risk for the person smoking, it is a health risk for anyone else who is around the smoker too. Someone who is drinking in a room is only a 'risk' to themselves whilst they are doing it, not to anyone else in that room at that time.

As for pubs closing ... I'm not an expert and don't know the reasons why but from a personal point of view I am now much more likely to go out to a pub or restaurant because it does NOT allow smoking than I was when it did.

As for not allowing smoking in work places, vehicles etc, I totally agree with that ... I don't choose to sit in a 'giant' ashtray all day that stinks and no matter how you like to look at it, you cannot get away from the fact that even once the actual act of smoking has ceased, the stink is there. How many times have you got into a vehicle and can immediately tell that someone has smoked in it? If I can smell it in a motorhome when pottering around shows, I immediately do a U-turn as no way would I want to buy it.

teflon2 - 2010-03-29 8:13 PM

I don't smoke myself but to me anyone who smokes is using their freedom to choose and not being bludgened by biased information. I also think that forcing shop assistants etc to take their smoke break out in the cold and rain is ofensive. As is the suggestion that they are less intelligent it could be reasoned that they are not being led like sheep. *-) John

But they may well have started smoking because everyone else was.

So it could be a question of who they are led by.

Guest peter
midknight - 2010-03-29 7:11 AM

A recent study shows that young people who smoke a pack or more of cigarettes a day averaged an IQ seven and a half points lower than that of those who do not smoke

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1261490/Is-proof-smoking-lowers-IQ-Study-suggests-20-day-drastically-reduces-mental-capacity.html#ixzz0jXjkWhP8

I take you're a smoker then. " intellegint" :D

I don't care who smokes, fortunately I never have but here is a true tale that just might focus your attention on the hazzards of secondary smoking.

My best friends son, aged 24 and severely disabled with Cerebral Palsy, is currently in intensive care. He had a relatively small operation but didn't wake up after it, when trying to wake him up he stopped breathing and so was put on a ventilator, cutting it short the parents were told to expect the worst, then he took a turn for the worse getting a chest infection and they were told to "get the family in today", anyway he has, against all expectations, recovered.. Still in intensive care, but slowly getting better every day.

What is the point of posting all of this, well the consultant dealing with Alexander told his parents that Alexander was lucky that he lived in a house where neither parent smoked because if either of them had been smokers Alexander would NOT have survived this.

Cause and effect.  People frequently show signs of stress, i.e. irritability, when being asked to work near the limits of their abilities.  In general, the lower their abilities, the more frequently they become stressed.  Smoking is generally held to have a calming effect (after it has stopped making you feel sick :-)).  So it seems quite feasible that this a self-selecting group.  The lower their abilities, the greater the stress, the greater the need for the calming fag: so that the most smokers tend to come from lower ability groups.

But then, of course, much the same is true for alcohol, ishunt it?  Hic!  Pardon.  :-D

Archived