Fridge on overnight ferry

kiki2000

colinfrier - 2010-04-02 2:44 PM

The only crossing where I have been asked and seen to turn off the gas is on the tunnel the ferries never bother to ask or even put up signs so I guess they don't see it as a big problem.

As you say Brian it only takes a minute to turn off and on the short crossings no problem this thread was about longer crossings i.e. to northern Spain 24 hours or more.Why can't Brittany provide hook up they charge enough that would be the best solution

But why would Brittany ferries provide a hook up when they are not necessary ?

Christine asked a pretty simple question, the answer to which is, yes in general you can leave the gas on. What does she get, a load of pompous answers about the risks involved. Some of you must do a risk assesment every time you walk out of the door in the morning. If the ferry company want you to turn it off they will say so, it may be buried in the small print but who the hell reads all that, oh Brian probably.

But the small print holds some of lifes most important details and when there is a potential danger involved they are even more important.

The original question related to goods in the freezer yes, so by filling all the spaces as was suggested there is less need to consider their melting point, which means one can travel a fair distance without the need for gas regardless of the ferry, which is of course a safety consideration.

Perhaps I'm missing the point here, but why would you have your gas on in the first place?

What's a ferry got to do with anything?

Gas bottles are supposed to be off aren't they whilst travelling? So surely you would arrive at a ferry with it already turned off wouldn't you?

I believe there are some vans that can use their gas systems safely whilst travelling but that's another story.

Martyn

Brian Kirby - 2010-04-02 11:16 PM
rupert123 - 2010-04-02 10:35 PM .............. it may be buried in the small print but who the hell reads all that, oh Brian probably.

Now, now, Rupert!  I only read it because I can.  :-D

Ah! knew their was something I was doing wrong.

LordThornber - 2010-04-03 8:13 AM

Perhaps I'm missing the point here, but why would you have your gas on in the first place?

Gas bottles are supposed to be off aren't they whilst travelling? So surely you would arrive at a ferry with it already turned off wouldn't you?

I believe there are some vans that can use their gas systems safely whilst travelling but that's another story.

Martyn

No, never turn it off except when filling with LPG. The manufacturer of the van and heater both state I can operate the heating on gas when driving so why would I not take notice of them.

rupert123 - 2010-04-03 11:52 AM ............. The manufacturer of the van and heater both state I can operate the heating on gas when driving so why would I not take notice of them.

We've had this debate before, Rupert.  The answer, as you know, is because neither the manufacturer of your van, nor that of your heater, operates ferries.  The installation is safe to use when driving, and by definition when on site, but neither of these conditions apply to carriage on ferries or shuttle.

Why not ask both for further guidance on how to interpret their advice with respect to ferries, before advising others to indulge in unwise practises?

rupert123 - 2010-04-03 11:52 AM

LordThornber - 2010-04-03 8:13 AM

Martyn

No, never turn it off except when filling with LPG. The manufacturer of the van and heater both state I can operate the heating on gas when driving so why would I not take notice of them.

Rupert, with respect, perhaps you need to read my post again?

Particularly the last sentence.

Martyn

Brian Kirby - 2010-04-03 1:22 PM
rupert123 - 2010-04-03 11:52 AM ............. The manufacturer of the van and heater both state I can operate the heating on gas when driving so why would I not take notice of them.

We've had this debate before, Rupert.  The answer, as you know, is because neither the manufacturer of your van, nor that of your heater, operates ferries.  The installation is safe to use when driving, and by definition when on site, but neither of these conditions apply to carriage on ferries or shuttle.

Why not ask both for further guidance on how to interpret their advice with respect to ferries, before advising others to indulge in unwise practises?

Never said anything about ferries Brian, just a reply to another post by Martyn, which I admit I did not read properly. I have never advised others to do anything and repeat the original question was 'if you have a fridge stuffed with food can you leave the gas on in ferries'. My reply, which is correct, was yes generally you can. Now it is up to the original poster whether they accept this or not because, unlike you, I tend to assume people can think for themselves and do as they wish.

rupert123 - 2010-04-03 3:21 PM ..... Never said anything about ferries Brian, just a reply to another post by Martyn, which I admit I did not read properly.

OK, lets try to clarify.  Perhaps you mis-read the context.  The string is entitled "Fridge on overnight ferry", so it seem to me all responses have to be read in that context: i.e. they refer 1) to fridges, and 2) to ferries.  No wonder you hate small print, even the large stuff seems to cause some difficulty!  :-D

I have never advised others to do anything and repeat the original question was 'if you have a fridge stuffed with food can you leave the gas on in ferries'.

I'll quote the original post: "Hi, we are going to go Portsmouth to Santander in May, I hope to pack as much frozen food as I can in the freezer section of fridge, can we use the gas to keep the fridge ticking over while on the ferry overnight?"  Note he says "use gas to keep the fridge ticking over while on the ferry overnight".  To do so he must have, a) the gas on, and, b) the fridge working on gas.

My reply, which is correct, was yes generally you can.

Your reply, which was incorrect, "is yes generally you can" and, incidentally, constitutes advice.  I quote from Brittany Ferries (for it is their route) Ferry Booking Terms and Conditions, here: http://tinyurl.com/yh8xbw2, penultimate paragraph - "A maximum of 3 x 15kg gas cylinders may be carried, the cylinders must be switched off during the voyage."  So, on the strength of your own opinion, you decide to advise a complete stranger contrariwise.

Now it is up to the original poster whether they accept this or not because, unlike you, I tend to assume people can think for themselves and do as they wish.

Now that the original poster has all the relevant facts, it is indeed up to him whether he accepts this advice or otherwise.  It has nothing to do with whether or not I assume he can think for himself, it is all about first giving accurate, factual, advice.  Giving misleading and partial advice, and then saying another person can make up their own mind based upon it, is somewhat disingenuous, even verging on the downright malicious, wouldn't you say? 

I naturally accept that despite now having the correct advice, the original poster may do otherwise, if he so wishes.  After all, you do, and how could you be unique?  :-)

Brian I really think it is you that needs some glasses to read any print. first the original poster is a 'she' if you read the small print that is. Second since when have posts all been in contex to the original question, this is rare to say the least. Third I did not offer an opinion on the original question just gave the facts. The question was with a fridge stuffed full of food can they leave the gas on. Now in my experience the answer is yes, personally I have never been asked to turn it off. Now you may think the small print states otherwise and maybe it does, you make think it is a dangerous practice and maybe it is, but it does not alter the fact that it is not usually a problem. That is it, no good throwing your toys out of the pram about it. I do not want to get into a slanging match over something so trivial so will leave it there.

rupert123 - 2010-04-03 5:30 PM Brian I really think it is you that needs some glasses to read any print. first the original poster is a 'she' if you read the small print that is. ................

Touché!  :-D  Sorry Christene!

That is it, no good throwing your toys out of the pram about it. I do not want to get into a slanging match over something so trivial so will leave it there.

Toys still in pram, and I don't think I've resorted to slanging, so no match in prospect - but you're still in denial!  :-)

rupert123 - 2010-04-03 5:30 PM

Brian I really think it is you that needs some glasses to read any print. first the original poster is a 'she' if you read the small print that is. Second since when have posts all been in contex to the original question, this is rare to say the least. Third I did not offer an opinion on the original question just gave the facts. The question was with a fridge stuffed full of food can they leave the gas on. Now in my experience the answer is yes, personally I have never been asked to turn it off. Now you may think the small print states otherwise and maybe it does, you make think it is a dangerous practice and maybe it is, but it does not alter the fact that it is not usually a problem. That is it, no good throwing your toys out of the pram about it. I do not want to get into a slanging match over something so trivial so will leave it there.

Rupert

Please inform us all which ferry / tunnel routes & times you will be using.

SO WE CAN ALL AVOID YOU.

Surely common sense tells you it's not safe.

peterjl - 2010-04-02 5:02 PM

Hi

I have seen crew members walking to each M/home or caravan and put hand next to fridge vent to check for heat. That was about 5 years back and i forget which crossing but some operators do check albeit not so straightforward with the modern fridges with no pilot light!

Even on short crossings we take a few tins and thats it - the rest we buy abroad.

Peter

Guess it'll be us folk who have read this thread that will be checking fridge vents now, just in case we are on board with someone who ignores 'common sense'. I won't be able to sleep on board now, thinking that there are such people still about. 8-)

Now I won't be able to sleep worrying about people wondering around the car deck, (which is forbidden in big signs in several languages, and if the ship does go down because I, or someone else has left their fridge on, will be trapped because the car decks are locked off), pressing themselves up against my fridge vents! :->

You're probably statistically, more likely to get killed or maimed in a crash on the way to the ferry port than from any oboard accidents, however caused. Perhaps that will make people worry too! Does that mean you're all going to sell your vans and go by train now I've told you that? No, it means you'll use your "common sense", realise the risk is minimal and go about your journey as always.

Hi, I emailed P&O asking wether there could be an electric supply so as to keep my freezer on (the Dutch flower lorries plug in to a 380 volt supply on the Hull / Rotterdam route that we are using) and was informed that "for health and safety reasons all appliances must be switched off".

Geoff.

Archived