Calais camping for tunnel?

Madmaggott

I'm sure that this question has been raised many times before but I can't find anything!

We are booked to return on the tunnel at a rediculously early hour (I know, but I didn't book it!) so can anyone recommend a place to stay overnight  that is not more than 1/2 - 3/4 hour journey to the tunnel check in?  Not actually in Calais though as I am worried about unauthorised persons trying to 'hitch' a lift.

Thank you.

From the south there is an aire at Le Portel near Boulogne sur Mer, not sure how far though, but I hear it's okay. From the east there's the Gravelines aire which is very nice.

I wouldn't worry about stopping at Calais though and would suggest you use either Cite Europe (we've used it a few times without any problems), or the visitor/ticket office parking at Calais ferry port.

david lloyd - 2010-03-29 5:53 PM

There is also a nice aire at Arques near St Omer:

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/David/Desktop/Aires/PC/CAMPINGC/FRANCAIS/AIRE8208.HTM?numid=8871

May be a little further than 30 minutes though.

David

Sorry, wrong link to the aire at Arques - try this one:-

http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm

David

We usually stop at Arques 2 euro pnt about 30 miles from Calais or Le Portel now charged but do not know how much about 20 miles from Calais we have never had any problems at City Europe Motorhome parking we have arrived at Eurotunnel early and have loaded earlier without any extra charge.

Hi

We stay at Le Bien Assise at Guines, Its a really nice campsite and about a 15 min drive to the tunnel you dont even have to go into calais, see link below for reviews of the site and link to their website.

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=6283

Its also a member of the ACSI scheme so the most you would have to pay is 15 euro if you where traveling out of peak season and had bought the book.

Fiona

Just a word of warning about La Bien Asisse at Guines. We have used this site a number of times both as first stop outbound and last stop inbound to UK but the last time we stayed (2008) on our first night out we had the camper broken into. Luckily at the time we were experimenting with towing a caravn with the camper and all our belangings were in the caravan but it did cost us a new lock on the (Y Reg) Fiat Ducato based vehicle when we got back.

We have not used the site since.

David

Large car park outside the P&O ticket office folow signs for ferry and just before tolls turn right into car park dozens of motorhomes and caravans overnighting.

You can also stay outside the dog check in at the tunnel only 100 yards from tunnel tolls but someone reported on another thread that it is no longer 100% safe?

Last week we spent a few hours at the tunnel animal check, the comings and goings of some very, to say the least interesting characters and none of them appeared to have any pets with them and this was in day light. I am not sure I would feel that comfortable spending the night, as we have done in the past.

We much prefer http://www.baiedesomme.fr/aire-autoroutiere-de-l-autoroute-a16-pres-de-la-baie-de-somme--fre25.html

Two dedicated parking areas, raclet service point and security patrol throughout the night. Free of charge.

Archived