Newhaven/Dieppe parking/sites

Hazy Baby

Dear all, continuing a theme, any ideas for sites or overnight parking facilities in the Newhaven and Dieppe areas? We are thinking of trying this ferry route for the first time this year and have not been to either area before. Any views on either port (ease of entry/exit etc) also appreciated. Thanks!

There is an overnight aire at Dieppe that I stayed on a couple of years ago. I think you have to pay but not sure. There is also a wild area down by the sea which I have also used but there is only room for a few vehicles and the ground is very unlevel. This is closer to the port buildings.

I didn't see anywhere in Newhaven but there is a new CC campsite in Littlehampton.

Hazel,

Littlehampton is a heck of a way from Newhaven, I'll have a scout round later and see what is available regarding sites or a spot to park up for a night local to the port, give a clue as to what time of year and where you are located regarding which way you might approach the port.

Jon

Dear Jon, we will be leaving from Newhaven end of April probably the Thursday before May Day. We will be approaching from the west along the A27 I think. We live in Sheffield - were thinking of staying at the CC site at Brighton but something nearer (and cheaper) would be nice. Its a hell of a price for just a few hours kip! Hazel

There's a Caravan Club CL close by :-

D. A. Yorke, South Heighton Farm, South Heighton, Newhaven BN9 OJH [Tel:01273 516359]  ¾ac lawned, secluded, pt sl, el pts,VS, conv ferries, sandy beach 2½m, open all year, £8 awning 50p

GPS: 50.808194, 0.055916

See pictures below for general location and aerial view.

424776490_NewhavenCL.jpg.0043b62cea30027e96b2408f10cfdfe9.jpg

1132817799_NewhavenCL2.jpg.de09393289375f47b7905e0e38169779.jpg

Thanks Ma & Pa! This CL looks just the job. How come I didn't find it in the CC Directory.........but not to worry you have, and done a marvellous job too with the map and photo!!! And an added extra of Dieppe. Thanks again. Very much appreciated. After all the silliness on the forum lately replies like this restore my faith in it and I for one (new user) will carry on using it. Hazel

As Way2Go says the CL is only a short distance away and a good road from there to the ferry. Your travel movements will follow the M23 (past Gatwick) and on towards Brighton then you would take the A27 towards Lewes then right towards Newhaven,. The CL is on your route as can be seen on W2G's map.

I suggest its a good idea to book the CL to be sure of a night.

During the next week I'll go and have a butchers at the CL and also the port area itself to see what space there is on the dock for anyone staying overnight, assuming your sailing is am.

There is a good fish and chip shop at No 18 South Road or it was last time we went. Go onto Google Earth and use camera No22, right ourside the shop. Parking is not easy but if hungry you'll make it.

From the CL site or the Ferry Port towards the fish shop you will enter the one way system, South Road is about the first proper left turn. There are others in the town but more difficult to get to.

Seaford going Easterly also has fish shops so will look them up out of interest.

Ps This fish shop is NOT a sit in and eat type only take away.

Guest JudgeMental
JudgeMental - 2010-03-31 3:09 PM

Hazy Baby - 2010-03-31 2:53 PM

After all the silliness on the forum lately replies like this restore my faith in it and I for one (new user) will carry on using it. Hazel

Amen! :D

Well done W2G, did you use your balloon for Aeriel shots?

Thanks again Jon. Yet more really useful info. I'm signing off now. All this talk of fish and chips is making me hungry! If you do inspect the CL (this really is over and above the call of duty) can you see if the surface is hard or squishy? Ta! Hazel :-D

JudgeMental - 2010-03-31 3:11 PM . . . . Well done W2G, did you use your balloon for Aeriel shots?

It was a home build glider which surprisingly flew all the way from Brighton Pier!!

It crash landed in the trees just out of shot :-)

I thought you were horizontal in Thialand?

The CL will be ideal.  Didn't know it existed!

Brighton CC site not particularly convenient for town centre: there are buses, but it's rather a long walk.

Have a look at the Newhaven - Dieppe fares.  They have tended to be quite steep recently.  They also have, I think, something like 2 hrs book in time, making the early ferry very early!  If travelling from Sheffield, I think you would get to Dover quicker than to Newhaven.  A1, then M25 clockwise to Dartford crossing, A2 Dover.

BTW, Newhaven - Dieppe is 4hrs.  Dieppe is a nice little town, so well worth exploring for a day.

If travelling to SW France/Spain, have you considered Portsmouth - Cherbourg.  Same crossing time as Newhaven - Dieppe, was quicker loading time, very direct access to port from dual carriageway, and probably as quick from Sheffield as Dover via M1, M25 anti-clockwise, M3, M27, M275.  Cherbourg is nice, and the N13 south to St Lo and Vire is very quick and mostly dualled.

Dear Brian, the ferry we want from Newhaven would leave at 10.00 am so we could be there for 8.00 am quite easily from the CL. We have always gone from Portsmouth in the past as we have relatives in Southampton and so we see them before and/or after our holiday. I agree that Cherbourg is a very pleasant port, as is Caen (Ouistreham). But this year we are thinking of exploring north of Paris, perhaps over as far as Strasbourg and into Germany and the Black Forest so think Dieppe would be ok for this route. OH and I don't fancy Dover as the lower reaches of the M1 and the M25 are not conducive to a relaxed start to our hols. Perhaps its just that for years we have travelled M1 to Daventry, M40 to Oxford and then the A34 to M3 and M27 and so are used to it. Old dogs, new tricks spring to mind..... The Newhaven-Dieppe route is also a whole lot cheaper than Portsmouth to Cherbourg or Caen (though I know Dover would be cheaper still) so I think we will give it a whirl. Hazel

In which case, Hazel, there's a (generally quite busy) Sainsbury's here: N50.79852 E0.06059, about half way 'twixt CL and port. 

If you go down Ouse valley on the A26 to the CL, carry on past it and continue down the A26 to a roundabout at its end, just after passing under the A259 flyover.  Here, you turn right over a level crossing for the port, but for the Sainsbury's, turn left and up to a larger roundabout on the A259.  From this roundabout take the second exit to A259 eastbound (dual carriageway), and the Sainsbury's is off a slip road to the left, in about 200 yards.  It also has fuel pumps.

On exit, carry on east on A259 for another 200 yards to another roundabout, take the first exit onto Avis Road, and follow this past Tates garage and Paradise World garden centre, to its junction with the A26.  Watch visibility to the left, can be deceptive!  Turn right up A26, and back to the CL.  How to leave England fully stocked, and fully fuelled.  Simples!

Archived