Prescription Pills.

creakyknee

Guest JudgeMental
Am I an old codger at 57? *-) My GP will give up to 3 months at a time. I guess if away longer you will need to arrange someone to collect and post to you......or if not on much medication buy abroad at probably a fraction of the price :-S

creakyknee - 2010-03-31 2:24 PM

Just curious how you old codgers obtain your prescription pills whilst on extended trips.

WE are OLD Codgers

We take three months supply with us. I also take a copy of perscription with us, just in case.(You never know). You can buy abroad, but as we don't pay in this country, try to take all with us Have been able to get some drugs when we ranout once, but at a cost.

I also have very squeeky knees!!!!

P

creakyknee - 2010-03-31 2:24 PM

Just curious how you old codgers obtain your prescription pills whilst on extended trips.

WE are OLD Codgers

We take three months supply with us. I also take a copy of perscription with us, just in case.(You never know). You can buy abroad, but as we don't pay in this country, try to take all with us Have been able to get some drugs when we ranout once, but at a cost.

I also have very squeeky knees!!!!

P

I see if away for more than three months then only one months supply is allowed. Not sure about legality of posting pills abroad although the Chinese seem to get away with it.

Judge - Don't kid yourself you are middle aged at 57, how many 114 year old folks do you know?

At 57 myself I may not still be middle aged :-(

However with my natural hair colour (not a grey hair in sight), all my own teeth and only marginal visual deterioration - sight has never been perfect - I am certainly NOT old or a codger (!)

Although I have never been on a 3 month trip, or more, more's the pity, I get 3 months prescription, anyway and I am sure my GP would give more if we were going away for longer.

In Scotland charges are reducing, (in fact I believe it goes down again tomorrow,) and it may be that in other places GPs may not be so generous, However I do not see why the cost would be an issue - real old codgers presumably get them free, anyway :D

Hi Margaret, Pleased to hear you are wearing well. Old codgers are usually men so you weren't included. Three months prescription are allowed if going abroad for three months or less. If longer, only one months prescription allowed, otherwise it is fraudulent. Seems to be another rule we could do without.

I am a much younger old codger than the Judge :-D However, I need to take regular medication for the rest of my natural, which I hope will be a long long way in the future. I have to pay for my prescriptions but use the NHS prepayment presciption card which is much cheaper than paying for individual prescriptions. My GP will allow me to have 3 months worth of medication as a matter of routine as I live in Swindon but do not work here so it is not convenient if I had to keep going back every month for repeat prescriptions. I have found that I can put in my repeats 1 month early and so can build up a reserve supply. Although not at the stage where I can take elongated trips away at least when I can I will know to build up my reserves in advance ;-)

creakyknee - 2010-03-31 10:49 PM

Hi Margaret, Pleased to hear you are wearing well. Old codgers are usually men so you weren't included. Three months prescription are allowed if going abroad for three months or less. If longer, only one months prescription allowed, otherwise it is fraudulent. Seems to be another rule we could do without.

I think I had, in fact, excluded myself by saying that I was neither old nor a codger (lol)

I was unaware of this rule, which as you say is another one we could do without. No obvious answer springs to mind ....................... depending where you go, how long your trip and where you live a quick Easyjet flight home could do the trick if all else fails (?)

creakyknee - 2010-03-31 10:49 PM

Is this rule still in force now? I know some years ago you were only allowed to stay abroad for 2 x 3 months in one year in order to keep NHS entitlements (over this the doctor is supposed to strike you off his list) but I believe now that it is legal to stay for 6 months less one day per year in one go now. Not sure now about the "strike off list" length of time.

However, in France if you stay over 90 days you have to by law register as a resident i.e. pay their taxes, re-register your car, join their health care system etc. I know lots of people don't do this but I believe the French authorities are tightening up on this.

If your stay is not over this limit, and you have to buy medicines abroad, then you can reclaim a refund of excess charges from the NI in the UK.

silverback - 2010-03-31 11:14 PM

49, no pills, come on creaky what age are you?... spill the beans.. :D

ps, big momma you really need to change your name!!! your called eric!! im confused 8-)

jonathan

silverback ? your called Jonathan !!

I guess it's the fact that I am a male yet I use a female title as my log on name (I'm quick like that you see (^) ). To save you the long version, basically my previous Motorhomes were much smaller and when I got this one I used the statement when I saw it 'My god it's a Big Momma' and the kids decided that from that day on that is what we would call it. I just use the name as a log on name that's all. Now there, you can sleep better at nights :D

I think the rule stems from the fact that if (according to NHS) you leave your GP's "area" for more than 3 months, you are supposedly automatically struck from his patient list.  The assumption is that you will then re-register elsewhere.  This is supposed to prevent the selling on of prescription medicines.  Ipso, he cannot knowingly prescribe more than 3 months supply.  No-one has yet explained how the GP is to know that you have left his area!  Most seem willing to co-operate, and provide you with an early repeat prescription, so that you can stock up with a few extra supplies before leaving.  That eliminates the possibility that you arrive back on your last pill, and cannot re-stock to maintain the medication.  It all depends on the local Trust and on how tightly they monitor the GP.  If both take an un-cooperative line, you may have a problem.  An understanding GP is the best starting point and, sadly, not saying too much!

What a law abiding lot you are!

I work on the basis that what they don't know won't worry them.

So, I always lie to the Doc. pills destroyed by a flood, fire, dog ate them, lost the script and so on. No one has ever checked, and, since your passport is not stamped on entering France how are they going to know how long you have been over there? The Local police won't want to know, the National Police have far better things to do than do a difficult check.

The 90 day law is one (among hundreds) of laws that are simply ignored by the Police.

I have got away with many things simply by looking blank (not difficult) and claiming "forgetfulness" or not understanding. They will believe you as they assume all Brits are so afflicted to a greater or lesser extent.

Hallii

Brian Kirby - 2010-04-01 11:55 AM

I think the rule stems from the fact that if (according to NHS) you leave your GP's "area" for more than 3 months, you are supposedly automatically struck from his patient list.  The assumption is that you will then re-register elsewhere. 

Not related to the OP, but btw my son, now aged 26 went to uni at 17 where he stayed (in Glasgow) for 4 years, followed by 4 years post grad studies in Edinburgh, then 3 months in Canada. In Sept, post Edinburgh pre Canada he was at home for a bit and went to GP who refererred him to outpatients. [unfortunately he managed to miss the hospital appointment due to Canada trip *-) ] So I don't know how that fits the 3 month rule :D

Randonneur - 2010-04-01 12:37 PM

When you leave the uk or enter the uk your passport is scanned and this is entered on a national computor together with the details of the vehicle you are travelling in

Our last trip we held up our passports & were waved through, I remember saying to my other half that's unusual they normally scan them.

Archived