Grand Canyon du Verdon

colin weston

We did it last June and must say it was fantastic. The only problem we had was a tunnel that has no height signs or lighting, it's single file and you can't see if anyone else has entered to tunnel until you a committed! But its not very long. It's a very long drive if you do it in a single day, we never got out of second gear and that was in a 6M long Campervan. Next time I will do it in two halves with a stop near the lake if i can find a site.

It's a couple of years ago now but we made the run through the Canyon de Verdon in a Swift Bolero 640FB. We set off from Castellane and drove along the D952, we thought that was fairly spectacular but nothing compared to the return run on the D71. The D71 starts off with a very long steep climb and then there are some amazing views, just watch out for the tourist buses.  We didn't try the D23.  The aire at Sainte Croix du Verdon is worth a visit but get there early as it's very busy and they cram in like sardines.

We did it in 2008. We travelled clockwise so we were on the river-side of the road to get the best views. We left from Castellane and after completing the more southern side of the gorge, we stayed in Moustiers Sainte Marie, a lovely town with a strenuous but rewarding walk up to the Grotte St Madelaine. The Routes de Cretes is a wonderful drive, but you need to be aware that it is a through-route only when travelling clockwise. If you start at the La Palud Sur Verdon end, you will eventually come to "No Entry" signs where there is a one-way section. We did that and had to turn back. We went in the other direction and did the round trip the next day on our way back to Castellane from Moustiers along the northern side of the gorge.

While at Moustiers, and despite our venerable years, we went down to the lake where the river enters it and hired a pedallo for a lovely, if tiring, ride along the river in that part of the gorge.

It's a beautiful area and well worth taking a few days over.

Alistair

We did it in Late Septmber 2008 so we did not have any tight squeezes because it was not too busy and our little Hymer Exsis is a trim little vehicle. To be honest there are no really bad pincer points anyway - yes the tunnel on the southern side is a bit blind to start with, but not really a problem. Absolutely stunning all round. We started from Castellane where we stayed at the Aire on the river bank (car park-lots of motorhomes) on the edge of town and took a whole day (lots of stops and sight seeing) getting to Moustiers- Sainte-Marie, where we stayed at Campsite Manaysse just a short walk up the hill from the town - very friendly we did not arrive until after 8.00 pm. There is also an Aire at the bottom of the town. We spent several days in the area before we moved off to complete the southern side of the Gorge. Have a wonderful trip.

• 1 year later...

Colin or anyone else,

Is it possible to hire a car OR take an organised bus trip round the gorge. Don't fancy driving the van around and would like to stay parked up.

Which is the best place to head for driving wise for camping over a couple of days. It will be August as we have no choice. Castellaine or Moustiers Ste Marie end of Gorge? Which has best driving access from Calais?

Thanks

Chris

What I can recommend if you're reasonably fit and aren't afraid of being dumped in the drink is a white-water rafting trip down the gorge. It's a while ago since I did it but it was superb. About six or eight of us, I can't remember exactly, in an inflatable boat with a leader who knows the river. 

You do get life jackets but you need to be comfortable in water and a decent swimmer as I can guarantee that you'll fall out at least once. A great experience.

chris - 2011-07-17 9:00 PMThat would be no problem white water rafting for us. Both very capable in the water. Is it possible to take a more leisurely canoe trip as we like to admire the views?Chris

Yes, you can canoe but it may be far from leisurely. It is of course a white-water river, which means lots of rapids. I can't remember just what the river was like much farther downstream where it enters the lake but that may be calmer. The Ardeche is another super limestone gorge descent. The long one is 30km and it has a few modest rapids but should be navigable for anyone without much canoeing experience.

If you want a nice leisurely paddle though with lovely scenery there's always the Dordogne!

colin weston - 2010-04-02 10:52 AM

Thank you all for your replies, very useful. I will be visiting the area late May/early June so hope it wont be too crowded.

We arrived their on their 3 July last year and not at all crowded, nothing like the Tarn is for instance. Last time we visited was in the late 1970's when I was rock climbing and things have not changed much. Their are not a lot of campsites along the gorge and we stayed for a few days at Pauland ser Verdon at a site called Le Grand Canyon, this is a municipal site. Not a problem to drive around it just needs some care. We love the Verdon, a much wilder and more serious place for any outdoor pursuits than the Tarn or Ardeche though.

chris - 2011-07-17 9:00 PM

That would be no problem white water rafting for us. Both very capable in the water. Is it possible to take a more leisurely canoe trip as we like to admire the views?

Chris

Certainly do not entertain this on your own, personally I would only do in the company of others all who need to be experienced on white water and able to roll a canoe well. Apart from anything else water is released from the dam on a couple of days a week, the best time to do it. The journey is fairly serious as once you enter the gorge their is no easy way out until near the lake at the bottom. You need to be happy in grade 4 white water.

Archived