Radio/CD Speaker problems

Mrs Sea

Hi one and all,

We've been having some problems with our speaker connection on our Radio/CD player on our 2007 Adria Twin. There are 2 different problems, though they seem to be related:-

1) The right speakers come on and off intermittently but only when driving. It affects both the CD player and radio. Jolts when driving make it worse but often there is no apparent reason for the right speakers switching off. When stationary, we can listen to CDs without any problem.

2) If we stop the engine whilst listening to the radio or CD, when we restart the engine, the radio/CD restarts but the sound is missing completely. The CD counter is on, so we know it is working. If we do nothing, exactly 2 mins later the sound suddenly comes back but if we open the drivers door and shut it again, the sound comes back immediately. It is intermittent and sometimes we can restart the engine and the sound comes back instantly but most times it does not.

What is strange is that having had this problem for some time, it all of a sudden fixed itself - both problems went away together. Now they are back - both of them.

Trying to find a loose connection at the back of the dash and in the speakers mounted in the doors and in the bodywork either side of the windscreen is a nightmare. I've enquired of an autoelectrician who says it would be cheaper to just fit another radio/CD player as the time spent searching for the cause of the problem can take him a long time.

We'd be grateful for your help/ideas or if anyone can recommend someone who can fix this sort of thing in Scotland, that would be great.

Many thanks in advance.

Mrs Sea

Thats a shame, I am heading up North from Tayside this week not South.

edit. Just realised you said the right speakers , plural, and this must be a clue as I think the two speakers should be wired independantly. If so then the fault is common to both which makes it look like it might be in the radio itself and not the wiring.

Hi

We had the same problems with our radio, we have a trigano tribute 665 and had this problem for months, the radio wouldn't come on for weeks even though we could hear a slight noise when switched on from the speaker on the right, the day we'd booked it into the dealers to have a look switched the engine on and the bl%%dy thing worked so couldn't take it in, could park it up on the drive and it would be working got in next day and it woudn't come on.

Anyway went to the dealers about a different problem and was complaining again about the radio and they discribed what had happened on another van and was my problem the same, and it was.

It turns out when the front blinds where fitted something on the right hand side was cut and it kept touching something else and shorting out intermittently that why it kept coming on and off, they had fixed the problem on the other van and said they would have a look at ours, they

did the fix behind the blind piller on the right and its been great ever since.

If you have blinds at the front this could be your problem, my dealer is Todds in Preston maybe if you rang them they could give you a bit more detailed information as im not very good at technical terms, if you do ring ask for servicing there number is 01772 335360.

Hope this helps

Fiona

Many thanks for all your comments. Think I'll have to chat nicely to Mr Sea as he has already had a 'look-see'. If he hasn't tried the various options, perhaps he can have another look. We do have front window blinds so that might be a possibility but I agree with Brambles, with both right speakers being affected, maybe its the unit itself. It doesn't explain the other problem i.e. why opening the drivers door causes the radio to come on or why it goes off in the first place.

Many thanks. Will keep you posted.

Mrs Sea

"It doesn't explain the other problem i.e. why opening the drivers door causes the radio to come on or why it goes off in the first place. "

AAhhhh! now this one is easy.... I think.

There is a time out on the radio to save draning the batteries if left on. I think it is about 20 mins and it switches off. Opening the door operates the interior light door switch and this wakes it up again. You can also wake it up turning the ign on or pressing the on button and it will time out again after 20 minutes.

There is a possibiliy of the cable was shorting to ground the radio will shut down both speakers on the same side. I am not saying it does this only it might be the case. Also both speakers may be wired to the same output. Thats easy to test by using the 'fade' function on radio to increase/decrease sound from each set of speakers in the same fashion 'balance' does left to right.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for this suggestion Brambles but I don't think the time out is the problem as it does not come on again when I restart engine. The unit comes on but no sound - until I open the door.

Problem is getting worse and really crackly now too. Just haven't had time to dismantle it. Local electronics chap offered to fit a new cD/Radio. Says its cheaper than faffing about trying to find out where the problem is. Probably is but I'm too skint to buy another.....! Will have to put up with it until I get a day to tinker with it - or maybe trade the van in for a newer model with working CD/Radio! (only joking!)

Thanks again for suggestions

I'm with Fionablueinky on this one. Had this exact problem with an autotrail at work recently and the culprit was a screw fastening the blinds was earthing out the cable to small speaker built into the blind. Talking to our Engineer it is a common problem, usually the nearside. The one I fixed was the offside (lol) . The customer said that the sound just vanished (from radio and multimedia system) but would sometimes spring into life.Its worth a look even if you just slacken off the screws it might be an indication of where the problem is

Archived