FORUM FAILINGS

Brian Kirby

I think the biggest downside of making this forum available to Subscribers only (either with payment by non-MMM subscribers & MMM subscribers free) eliminates new users, especially people who are looking at purchase Motorhome, Motorcaravan/Camper/RV and for information regarding our passion.

They are potential future colleagues and Warner customers.

IMO this forum, despite it's shortcomings, is far superior to the alternatives I have viewed(& decided not to subscribe to.)

If Warners are unable address the shortcomings, would participants favour (or not) getting some manufacturers /dealers sponsorship for the forums.

After all we are all in this together, Manufacturers, Dealers, Magazines, Site owners, Owners, potential new Owners.

This may (or not *-) ) drive the industry forward as a whole.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jonathan

No luck so far, suppose I should give them the benefit of doubt, but it appears they don't look at their e-mails, never mind the forum.

But it's possible the moderator could be a victim of the Ash cloud or busy with the Peterborough show.

Living in hope rather than expectation.

Guest Tracker

Thanks Mike - I know you are doing your best for us - at least I like to think that you are, but it reminds me of an incident many years ago in Cornwall when an old mine shaft subsided and opened up a large aperture in a busy main road closing it to all traffic.

We were assured on radio Cornwall by the head of Cornwall highways department that his officers were 'looking into it', although we were not told how long this 'looking into' process would last!

My only comment about the Forum is the Buy & Sell facility. It was alterred fairly recently as an improvement. I've just checked it and there have been 3 ad's placed so far in the whole of April!!! Before you would get that number in less than a day.

I did use it a lot for purchases, now it's useless. Organising parties in breweries spring to mind. I rest my case.

Just a thought;

Perhaps Fiat Professional would be interested in sponsoring an improved forum, I know they don't come up smelling of roses every day, but they might like to 'put something back' into the industry in which they find themselves the dominant force.

I am running for cover....

Nick

I seem to remember that, a couple of years ago, Fiat's own forum had a very active moderator who 'pulled' posts from contributors who he accused of 'spamming' when they introduced links to other forums (fora?) such as the 'transmission defect' one here -- Andy Stothert possibly being one who suffered at his hands. I don't think that we should let them get anywhere near this one, which, for all its failings, is at least independent and impartial in its moderation!

Cheers Nick, with thanks for all of your thoughtful and clear contributions over the years that that important 'thread' (above) has been running.

Colin.

OAL Moderator - 2010-04-26 10:47 AM Hi, apologies for the delay in replying but just to let you know I have alerted our technical guys to this and they are looking into it. As soon as I hear anything I'll let you all know....sorry it's not much of a response but we are aware. Many thanks. 

Thanks for the reply.  Looking forward to the results!  :-)

As a newby i'm now going to put my head above the parapet. It seems to me that only the most prolific posters are having a problem a bit like Fiat making the most base vehicles have the most problems. As to restricting access to readers only surely it defeats the object that being to draw in more people with the same interests as ourselves. I was a subscriber to MMM untill I got tired of the repeating new motorhome tests as I had the one I wanted (seleced from a dealer who advertised with MMM) and so found it exess to requirements. Botom line is the site is free but some people seem to want perfection without cost and its not going to happen. As to off thread postings they have directed me to interesting debates that I would not normaly follow so I like them. Ive fitted my kelvar armour and crash helmet so I'm now impervious to any retaliation. John ;-)

To be serious ...

The new 'Buy and Sell' is plain daft. I've tried to post adverts on it (the under £100 free ones) and to say it's a pain in the b*m is an understatement. It is confusing and not very user friendly. It isn't set up properly to differentiate between 'motorhomes' and 'accessories' so you get daft questions like manufacturer/model/mileage when you're trying to sell an accessory! Then you have to go through a load of other screens to complete it, it takes way tooooo long.

I gave up after a few attempts at typing in the same advert again and again, and finding that it didn't appear and moved over to another forum and have sold a few bits that way and will add a few more items when I get a minute.

I've just had another go at putting on an advert ... lets see if it appears!

Thanks for the reply, Moderator.

Could you advise if Warners are considering my earlier post regarding trade sponsership of the forum:-

"would participants favour (or not) getting some manufacturers /dealers sponsorship for the forums.

After all we are all in this together, Manufacturers, Dealers, Magazines, Site owners, Owners, potential new Owners. "

teflon2 - 2010-04-26 3:28 PM

As a newby i'm now going to put my head above the parapet. It seems to me that only the most prolific posters are having a problem

I'm a newbie as well - & even more so since, living in Canada, my immersion in Euro-motorhoming & hence my knowledge, is much more limited than the rest of you. I contribute where I can (usually N.Am. related questions) but otherwise am mostly a lurker.

However, I have joined all 3 major UK MH forums - this one is by far my preferred venue.

Mel B - 2010-04-26 8:56 PM

To be serious ...

The new 'Buy and Sell' is plain daft. I've tried to post adverts on it (the under £100 free ones) and to say it's a pain in the b*m is an understatement. It is confusing and not very user friendly. It isn't set up properly to differentiate between 'motorhomes' and 'accessories' so you get daft questions like manufacturer/model/mileage when you're trying to sell an accessory! Then you have to go through a load of other screens to complete it, it takes way tooooo long.

I gave up after a few attempts at typing in the same advert again and again, and finding that it didn't appear and moved over to another forum and have sold a few bits that way and will add a few more items when I get a minute.

I've just had another go at putting on an advert ... lets see if it appears!

At last someone who agrees with me, ...a first, or thereabouts.

Archived