hobby caravans

hymer1942

Some people like them. Seem to be very well built and in recent years have improved their interior design. Downside in the UK is that some campsite don't like them and won't accept, although having said that there many more campsites where you will have no problems. If you have found a model that suits why not go for it. Unlike other German manufacturers they don't make models specifically for the UK market so you have to have what might be seen as a wrong side door although in practical terms that is not really a problem unless you stop in an open layby on a main road where it could be uncomfortable.

David

I was going to add to my previous post why not consider a Hymer caravan, they are expensive but beautifully made. Having said that I have now owned 4 UK made caravans which I purchase from new over a period of 20 years and I have never been disappointed with the quality of them.

David

Hi David and thanks again, I have always liked Hobby and would have had one instead of my Hymers, but they only do the motorhomes on the Fiat and I just wanted Mercedes. A few years ago I had a Hymer Nova, good van but very heavy for the size Barrie

Two years ago we changed from a Hobby caravan (460 UFe Excellent) to a Hymer Motorhome.

We had the Hobby for 6 years for the price it was very good value you do need to bear in mind Hobby's are the bottom end of the market & you get what you pay for we saved 40% off the UK price by buying in Germany

It was very stable when towing despite the very low nose weight of 35kg. Being able to have a bike rack on the rear was much easier than having to put bikes on the car. Found out the hard way they don't fully seal the shower compartment hosed down the loo with the shower hose and had a lake in the bedbox next to the shower, easily fixed with some silicon.

Battery & charger are an expensive option cheaper to fit yourself, no dedicated battery locker.

Standard water heater was the 300w Truma Electric we opted for a gas one (Truma Ultrastore) & that came with an inboard water tank.

We preferred the door on the UK offside (suited our driveway), the dimpled bodywork was an absolute pain to clean.

If I were ever to buy another caravan I think I would go for a Knaus or a Hymer, Hobby go for glitzy interiors where Knaus & Hymer put their money into more basic interiors but a more solid build quality.

If I every went back to a caravan I would only buy German, I've had British vans in the past , the last one a Lunar had more water in the walls than a garden pond.

Apart from the build quality, I don't like the British design approach of a dinning room on wheels, I prefer the German basic but functional layout in Hymer's & Knaus.

Archived