Motorhome Insurance Renewal

david lloyd

We have been with Scenic for the last 2 years like Safeguard they are run by Swinton.

I will look at Comfort when renewal comes up, does anyone know if they require a Tracker have found a lot of companies require one for vans over £40k, one reason we went with Scenic no additional security required.

Sureterm got on my T*ts filled out an online form, they phoned they required a Tracked so I declined they then phoned a further 3 times.

Caravan Guard will not insure imported vans only UK dealer supplied.

Have used brokers Campton who offer two insurers, we've used one of which, QBE.

They offered the lowest quote with the least excess and no tracker or onboard alarm.

How good would they be in event of a claim, who knows and hope I don't get to find out. They have been very helpful in speedily providing a cover note over the recent Easter bank holidays.

None of the quotes for excesses provided in the latest Which Motorcaravan insurance survey matched what we could find when checking the CC and CC&C schemes.

lennyhb - 2010-04-11 10:56 AM

We have been with Scenic for the last 2 years like Safeguard they are run by Swinton.

I will look at Comfort when renewal comes up, does anyone know if they require a Tracker have found a lot of companies require one for vans over £40k, one reason we went with Scenic no additional security required.

Sureterm got on my T*ts filled out an online form, they phoned they required a Tracked so I declined they then phoned a further 3 times.

Caravan Guard will not insure imported vans only UK dealer supplied.

Hi lenny

Comfort have not insisted on a Tracker on our new 'van at £44k. They will discount further though if one is fitted.

David

Comfort require a Tracker over £60,000. I think this only applied from this year, as I know another Frankia owner with a van worth £75k who is just reinsuring with Comfort and has not been asked to fit one, as I assume they accepted his policy in April 09 before they changed the £60k top limit.

Unfortunately I did !!!

Not on topic and not related to Motorhome Insurance but a question for the people from Comfort who appear to read this Forum.

How long after renewal would you expect it to take for the details of that renewal to be registered with the Motor Insurance Database?

Hope you can help

FD

The entry onto the Government database has nothing to do with when you renew.

It goes like this:

The database is not updated with your renewed details until the previous policy has expired. eg. policy expires 26 March. you renew 15 March. new details on database no earlier than 27 March.

If your policy renewal is swiftly followed by your tax disc renewal then your tax disc will have to be bought other than on-line. It's a pain as we know.

Just goes to show the state of governmant IT which appears to automate a manual system rather than try to better it.

Even that is not quite correct, because the Motor Insurer's Database (MID) is maintained by the Motor Insurer's Bureau, who are an insurance industry group, and not a government group.  DVLA (and all police forces) has access to the MID, to check if a vehicle is insured, and the MIB has a government imposed legal duty to maintain the database up to date, but it is not a government database.  The DVLA vehicles database is limited to vehicle registration, and payment of VED.  So, the details are on two different databases, run by different organisations, for different purposes.  Criticism, and credit, where it is due?

My insurance is almost ready for renewal and having read this thread I am confused, not for the first time! Ian03/54 compared the personal affects cover between companies. Reference was made to losing cameras and being worth more than the £100 single item cover, therefore the low premium was not really benificial. I will probably be wrong but are things like clothing, valuables(computers,cameras,watches,cycles) covered with your house or travel inurance. Hopefully I will be educated by one of the many learned members before renewing. Thanks.

chris

In truth, it is impossible to generalise.  There is no such thing as "standard" insurance, whether buildings, contents, or vehicle.  They all exclude some things, and limit the extent of cover on others.  You just have to sit down and read the policies to see how they fit together, how much the cover given by one overlaps with that from another, and most important, where the cover from all the policies leaves gaps.  It helps of you have a clear idea of the scope of cover you want from the outset.  However, because you are buying, you must also decide whether you are getting what you want.

Hi all...insurance up for renewal end of the month,just got a few quotes....

My renewal was with Safeguard £386 (£404 2009)

SAGA £369

COMFORT £338

Includes self (55) and spouse, Uk and European breakdown/recovery,full no claims and £250 excess.

Just thought this may be of help to someone ! !

Phil

Guest Tracker

Having played jiggery pokery with several vehicle's insuances recently I can advise that in each case the showing as either insured or uninsured on the ASK MID website accurately followed within two or three days at most of the alteration taking effect.

It does not seem to show vehicles covered by a temporary cover note at all so if that is the situation I would advise carrying the cover note with you at all times until it does appear on the website just in case you get stopped. That way mr plod can check by phone direct with the insurer - assuming that it's not 3.00 am and the insurers are available?

I always check the website every few months just in case as it is much better than being stopped!

Archived